Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 11:30 AM

33 posts, read 22,691 times

Advertisements

I just thought I would open a thread to remember the millions of people who died in World War 2. On May 9th, Nazi-Germany surrendered. I am glad they allowed Merkel to participate in the ceremony in Russia today, along with American, French, and British Troops.If I remember correctly, they did not like Schroeder ( Chancellor ) at the D-day remembrance in 2005.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zR3b6x9iqDc

Rest in Peace.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2010, 11:35 AM

53 posts, read 251,423 times
Rest in Peace.

Old 05-10-2010, 11:21 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,645,871 times
And the lesson is, we should never forget what happened during those years.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:19 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,562,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
And the lesson is, we should never forget what happened during those years.
We already have. We've learned nothing. History is not only forgotten, its unknown to some.

Old 05-11-2010, 06:29 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,969,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
We already have. We've learned nothing. History is not only forgotten, its unknown to some.
I'm afraid that in a lot of cases, you're right. And not only that, but ignorance on the part of many people allows history to be distorted by those with an agenda for the future.

World War II is actually among the best known history, though there are obviously different interpretations of the events. But other historical events are simply unknown, or distorted beyond recognition so that the commonly accepted view of what happened is largely false.

Interesting aside -- the fact that the western powers and the Soviet Union were unable to even agree on the date to celebrate V-E Day was a harbinger of things to come. Germany surrendered on May 7th, 1945, and it had always been allied policy that Germany must surrender to the three main powers -- Britain, the US and the USSR -- simultaneously, i.e., that no separate peace would be allowed and that they wouldn't be able to bargain to get a better set of terms from one of the powers.

Britain and the US proclaimed May 8th, 1945 to be V-E Day, but suspicion by the Russians about some type of non-existent collusion between the Germans and the Western Powers delayed their celebration of victory until May 9th. It was a harbinger of things to come, as they quickly fell into disagreement on just about everything.

Old 05-11-2010, 09:16 AM

2,745 posts, read 6,474,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
I'm afraid that in a lot of cases, you're right. And not only that, but ignorance on the part of many people allows history to be distorted by those with an agenda for the future.

World War II is actually among the best known history, though there are obviously different interpretations of the events. But other historical events are simply unknown, or distorted beyond recognition so that the commonly accepted view of what happened is largely false.

Interesting aside -- the fact that the western powers and the Soviet Union were unable to even agree on the date to celebrate V-E Day was a harbinger of things to come. Germany surrendered on May 7th, 1945, and it had always been allied policy that Germany must surrender to the three main powers -- Britain, the US and the USSR -- simultaneously, i.e., that no separate peace would be allowed and that they wouldn't be able to bargain to get a better set of terms from one of the powers.

Britain and the US proclaimed May 8th, 1945 to be V-E Day, but suspicion by the Russians about some type of non-existent collusion between the Germans and the Western Powers delayed their celebration of victory until May 9th. It was a harbinger of things to come, as they quickly fell into disagreement on just about everything.
Wasn't that because of time zone difference between Moscow and Western Europe?

Old 05-11-2010, 09:36 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,969,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarbles View Post
Wasn't that because of time zone difference between Moscow and Western Europe?
I had read somewhere that it was because of suspicions between the Russians and Western Allies. I don't see why a couple of hours difference in time would result in a whole day of delay, when the German surrender was actually signed on May 7th.

Or maybe the Germans took a little longer to lay down their arms against the Russians.

Old 05-12-2010, 10:30 PM

6,104 posts, read 6,001,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
I had read somewhere that it was because of suspicions between the Russians and Western Allies. I don't see why a couple of hours difference in time would result in a whole day of delay, when the German surrender was actually signed on May 7th.

Or maybe the Germans took a little longer to lay down their arms against the Russians.

I think the delay was more due to the problem of finding sufficiently ranking Allied and German Officers to be allied and axis representatives and sign on the dotted line at the respective surrender ceremonies to US, British, and Soviets. The problem would be more acute for the Germans since their High Command and General Staff were in disarry after evacuating Berlin. It was a good question as to who had any authority at all.

Old 05-13-2010, 09:08 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,282,915 times
Yeah, lets celebrate the Russians. Lets see, Battle of Stalingrad. 91,000 German POW's. In 1955, when they finally released, I might say 10 yrs after the war was over, the surviving German POW's? 5,000 were still alive. This is just ONE example of the atrocities committed by the Russian's. I'm not glorifying Germany either; they were the scum of the earth toward the Russian's also. However, it doesn't relieve the Soviet Union with their responsibility.

I do not agree with the Brits or the US being involved with this celebration. Not until the Russian's admit and try to make amends, for the atrocities they committed.

Old 05-13-2010, 11:29 PM

2,745 posts, read 6,474,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Yeah, lets celebrate the Russians. Lets see, Battle of Stalingrad. 91,000 German POW's. In 1955, when they finally released, I might say 10 yrs after the war was over, the surviving German POW's? 5,000 were still alive. This is just ONE example of the atrocities committed by the Russian's. I'm not glorifying Germany either; they were the scum of the earth toward the Russian's also. However, it doesn't relieve the Soviet Union with their responsibility.

I do not agree with the Brits or the US being involved with this celebration. Not until the Russian's admit and try to make amends, for the atrocities they committed.
In fairness, almost all of those 91,000 were sick and starving. They were in dire need of food and medical attention which was in short supply for understandable reasons. Most of them died within days of surrender. Had their commanders allowed them to surrender earlier, more of them might have lived. I don't think the Russians deliberately wanted these people to die; they simply failed, for whatever reason, to provide for them urgent needed care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History