Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 08:12 PM

2,385 posts, read 4,332,495 times

Advertisements

I'm not trolling, it's an honest question.

That seems to be the subtext for what's really on people's minds when it comes to rights in Arizona. First some people are denied their rights and then they're oppressed by the majority and usually what comes next is that the majority tries to get rid of those people either through expulsion or genocide.

My question is, has genocide ever been successful? I know recently it was/is attempted in Dafur, it's kind of happening in Zimbabwe and obviously the whole thing with WWII. But has it ever worked where a race or culture has been completely wiped out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2010, 08:19 PM

1,503 posts, read 1,155,652 times
Anybody who starts a thread, "I'm not trolling, it's an honest question." is trolling.

What's a "race"? I know of one, the human race.

Old 05-09-2010, 08:35 PM

Whatever.

Can someone familiar with history please answer the question?

Old 05-09-2010, 08:41 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
The Neanderthals are a likely answer.

Old 05-09-2010, 08:45 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
If this is a serious question, ask on the History Board. But first, define "race".

Old 05-09-2010, 08:49 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
No. There are three races and all are going strong.

Old 05-09-2010, 08:52 PM

2,745 posts, read 6,461,531 times
I think you may want to narrow your question down a little bit. For example, the term genocide itself came into existence fairly recently. The concept of minority rights is almost as recent. Are you trying to apply them to thousands of years of history?

To try to answer your question, languages and cultures cease to exist all the time but most often it is through natural processes of assimilation and intermarriage into larger surrounding cultures - not really though a determined and malevolent extermination. To see specific examples, try googling "extinct languages".

Willful extermination happens as well of course. No very recent examples come to my mind but Carthage was a prosperous empire in its day and it and its people have long ceased to exist.

Old 05-09-2010, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarbles View Post
I think you may want to narrow your question down a little bit. For example, the term genocide itself came into existence fairly recently. The concept of minority rights is almost as recent. Are you trying to apply them to thousands of years of history?

To try to answer your question, languages and cultures cease to exist all the time but most often it is through natural processes of assimilation and intermarriage into larger surrounding cultures - not really though a determined and malevolent extermination. To see specific examples, try googling "extinct languages".

Willful extermination happens as well of course. No very recent examples come to my mind but Carthage was a prosperous empire in its day and it and its people have long ceased to exist.
Thank you Mr. Marbles for your answer

I was referring to genocide through "determined and malevolent extermination". Like has any group of people been able to wipe a separate group of people completely off the face of the earth?

Old 05-09-2010, 09:26 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,785,187 times
Interesting question, probably hard to determine.

Perhaps the Aztec's wiped out some smaller tribes to the very last but were those tribes a "race"....With intermarriage the genetic lines would have continued....

Who knows how many civilizations simply died off.....inbreeding....predation from other non-human animals....disease...starvation from over-population....

Who knows?

Old 05-09-2010, 09:52 PM

99 posts, read 375,451 times
Lightbulb Short answer: No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violett View Post
Whatever.

Can someone familiar with history please answer the question?

Depends on what you mean by "ceased to exist". Many of the people conquered by the Romans had their cities destroyed and all of the men and boys massacred on the spot... but the women and girls would be sold into slavery.

So, while those cultures and nations ceased to exist, their genetic bloodlines continued to exist.

Recent studies have shown that even the Neanderthal bloodlines have managed to survive. Scientists found that between 1% to 4% of genes in all non-African populations are of Neanderthal origin.

Ancient DNA shows interbreeding between Homo Sapiens and Neanderthal

So, even the supposedly-extinct Neanderthals haven't "ceased to exist"... and they were classed as a separate species.

So, basically, the answer to your question is no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History