Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 09:52 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,966,698 times

Advertisements

A man needs more than one fishing pole just like a woman needs more than one pair of shoes.

Here's my advice, get fishing rods that have the same color/ wrap so when they sit in a corner it does not cath da wife's eyes "WHAT is the NEW rod doing there???"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2011, 10:17 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,875,803 times
Most state parks have free fishing weekends and free fishing clinics. I would check with your local state park. OR...go to a lake where someone is fishing, and talk to them.

I started fishing when I was 8 some 52 years ago. It's relaxing to me and nice to be able to actually catch some food.

Old 04-15-2011, 10:33 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Learning to fish is like learning to work on computers, find a 15 year old and let them take you fishing. You can go to all the bait and tackle shops your heart desires and they can tell you what to buy and how to use it, but won't be catching much in the way of fish. You really need someone to take you out, teach you were the fish are and the best way to get them.

Of course an adult guide would do as well, except they are more expensive.

Old 04-19-2011, 10:18 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,966,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Learning to fish is like learning to work on computers, find a 15 year old and let them take you fishing. You can go to all the bait and tackle shops your heart desires and they can tell you what to buy and how to use it, but won't be catching much in the way of fish. You really need someone to take you out, teach you were the fish are and the best way to get them.

Of course an adult guide would do as well, except they are more expensive.
Agreed. No internet fishing will replace the actual fishing knowledge and experience. But learning from experienced guys will get you a good start.

Buy your buddy a 6-pack and go fishing.

I always say that women and kids usually catch fish better as newbies. Take your family fishing.

Old 04-25-2011, 11:52 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
I'm big into shoreline saltwater fishing. I love working a beach, a jetty and especially inlets and bays.

When I lived in Florida, friends would talk me into going out on their boats and we would troll for hours, which I found to be exceedingly boring. Once after a long stretch of trolling and catching nothing we pulled in for gas. While they were stocking up on beer and such, I started working the docks. I caught more fish in 15 minutes than we had caught all day out on the water. I was doing so well a guy in the boat docked next to us, turned to his guide and wanted to know why he was paying $200.00+ to catch nothing when he could have just hung out with me on the dock for free.

Yeah, learning from experienced folks is important, even inshore fishing requires knowledge of what is geographically under the water, the habits of the fish you are targeting, and what will get them to strike, to say nothing of getting them to shore (I love fishing with the lightest line possible which makes it all the more challenging - I've been known to catch seatrout on 4lbs line). But need to pay folks to learn all of that.

Old 04-25-2011, 12:06 PM

50,316 posts, read 47,056,299 times
32 foot sportfish, twin diesels. Last I checked I have over 50 fishing rods/reels. We also have a skiff, pontoon boats, belly boats, waders, Kayaks.

I think I have a fishing problem. Is it really a problem though?

Old 04-25-2011, 12:10 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
32 foot sportfish, twin diesels. Last I checked I have over 50 fishing rods/reels. We also have a skiff, pontoon boats, belly boats, waders, Kayaks.

And the retail fishing industry thanks you... for their riches.

Old 04-26-2011, 04:34 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,969,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lariat View Post
Looking into to fish some grub. Where the hell do I begin? Is there a place to learn all about fishing, gear, and the such?

Experience: I haven't fished since I was a kid. So I'm clueless. All I remember from that trip was using crickets as bait and we fished some ugly brown fish that I didn't want to eat.

Where: I plan to fish in the eastern section of Maryland this spring, and the Dakotas this summer.

I basically need everything. I thought I'd start with my father's old tackle box...but after looking it up, turns out it's a real prized box so I'd rather keep it to store extra gear at home instead now.

I watched a fishing show, and came across an ad for Ugly Stik fishing rod. Sounds good to me. Are they, really?

Sounds like a plan. Put down Dad's ol' tackel box untill you can ID everything in the box and know the costs to replace them all.

If any of that stuff is in good shape and also happens to be a collectable and you go frig it up you will be a very unhappy camper.

LOL the big ugly fish was probably a tasty catfish with big wiggly whiskers.

When I learned how to fish, Dad sent me off to dig worms under rocks and logs. A better way is to place cardboard out near the compost pile and look under it when you want any worms.

As a wee lad i would give Dad all my worms and he would give me one back. That one was all I needed for the day anyway. The first fish i caught became bait for the next fish i caught by gutting the fish and using the gutts for the next fish and so on.

Fish ain't real fussy about what they eat.

By my 20's I became a fly fishin snob, and the best day I had was when my brother caught a ceadar wax wing, which is a bird.

He had a bad time telling fish from birds all his life if you ask me. He tried to release the bird, but it fell in the water as he tossed it, so we ate that bird for dinner with the fish.

Md means nothing. In MD there is cold water and warm water fish. You should learn to fish both. In SD it is more likely you will fish cold water or get laffed at. So spend time learning to trout fish.

By my 40's I ran on to hard times and learned to fish with plants and no gear, or to make line from bark off trees and use bones in owl puke as bait for hand lining fish if I had that kinda time.

If you get the idea a fly line is expensive you wouldn't think so, if you paid for one on my bark hand lines at a buck a foot.

To go on the cheap all you need is a long slender stick and 50 feet of string, hooked up with a safety pin.

Fishing is what you make of it. I can catch a fish with woods junk as well as I can with a 1000 dollars worth of hi tech gimicks, which at times past has made some men seriously upset with me.

If you hit a good 'hole', keep it secret from everybody cept me

Last edited by Mac_Muz; 04-26-2011 at 04:42 PM..

Old 04-28-2011, 04:37 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,327,375 times
start out with panfishing. That is, small sunfish, brim, striped bass/sacalait. Not only are they delicious, but they'll bite on a huge array of live and fake baits and the tackle is very cheap to start out with. Also, you can catch a nice limit of them that makes for a good sized meal. Very easy to clean and cook and a lot of fun to catch. If you want to get into fishing, start there. You can start with an ultralight rod and reel like Uglystik or Pflueger. I also recommend using braided line, because panfishing results in lots of snags and this line will bend the hook before it breaks. But its worth it! Fishing is so thoroughly awesome.

Old 04-28-2011, 05:13 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,864,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post

Yup, I understand, I too have a fishin' thing, it's a thing, not a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation