Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2014, 02:10 PM

231 posts, read 462,627 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

I've been invited snowboarding by some of my way out west adventurer type friends. Quite frankly this is a bucket list item as I wanted to do that as a teenager, and here I am in my late 20's with a chance to do it.

However, at this point in my life I'm at a loss for what I am walking into. I now live in Miami Beach and don't own anything warmer than a light jacket for that one day in January when it gets below 60 degrees.

What type of snowboarding specific winter clothing should I buy for a trip to Breckenridge Colorado?

Are there things I should skip as I'll be a beginner?

Any info will help...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2014, 05:36 PM

49 posts, read 105,610 times
You might want to check and see if renting clothing and equipment is an option. It could cost hundreds of dollars or more to buy what you need. At the very least you will need some base layers, good gloves, snow pants, parka, goggles and hat, or even better yet, a helmet.

It might be a good idea to take a lesson or two. Maybe sign up for a morning lesson and join your friends on the slopes in the afternoon. Sometimes when you have experienced riders and beginners together it's not that much fun for either of them.

Most of all smile and have fun!

Old 12-24-2014, 09:36 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,995,615 times
Hopefully, your buddies will have extra clothing you can borrow so you don't have to buy the stuff. The cost of winter gear can add up very quickly. There are places that do rent jackets, pants, gloves and helmets, but I would recommend at least getting some wool long johns and a wool long sleeve shirt to wear under the jacket.

As for actual gear, just rent the equipment. The shop will fit you properly for boots and a board. Also, be prepared to fall a LOT if you have never snowboarded before. I've only skied a few times and have never boarded, but the snowboarders who were taking lessons were always falling down. Usually, gear can be rented for 25 -30 bucks for the day.

Hopefully this helps and have fun!!

Old 12-28-2014, 07:15 AM

16,279 posts, read 10,418,527 times
Do not make the beginner mistake of showing up in jeans over long underwear. You will spend the majority of the day on your ass and by the 3rd run you will be wet, cold and miserable. Snow pants are cheap but essential, so are Gortex gloves and a decent coat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation