Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2014, 09:48 AM

399 posts, read 685,739 times

Advertisements

I think I have developed an addiction to online shopping. I just started about 2 mts ago, with Christmas shopping. Didn't have a credit card before, so I never really even thought about it. Wow! I love how you can get things the stores are out of or no longer carry. I get a thrill when I am able to get clothing the kids need that I couldn't find in town, or any treats for the family. Also ordering movies, which I am now calling my collection- of westerns (Clint Eastwood) and nature documentaries.
Idk. I am obsessed now. I think it is filling a huge void in my life- been battling depression since my mother died and am not in touch with my siblings anymore.
Maybe this is the wrong forum for this but didn't know where to put this. Do you think this is a problem or is it an acceptable outlet for me? (Our credit card has a low limit and we pay off each month so I don't foresee a credit card debt)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2014, 08:57 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,435,519 times
As long as you can pay off the credit card bills each month, I dont see anything wrong with it.

I was in the middle of remodeling my house in 2006 when I had a stroke. After I recovered enough (somewhat) to continue the remodeling, I wasnt able to walk more than a few feet and couldnt drive at all. I had given away all my furniture and decorations in anticipation of the remodeling -- so I had to refurbish my house/garage/patio totally online. I bought everything, literally every single thing, every piece of furniture, every accessory, no matter how expensive or inexpensive, no matter how large/heavy, everything, online. I even bought all my plants, indoor and outdoor, online. Thousands (probably tens of thousands) of purchases. eBay and Amazon were usually my go-to sources, but I spent hours searching other sites as well.

I guess you could say shopping online became my hobby, maybe even my obsession. It was necessary, but it also gave me something to do other than my daily occupational/physical therapy sessions. I had to give my UPS and FedEx guys big tips at Christmas because they delivered so many boxes every day. My neighbors made comments to me about all the deliveries I was getting but I didnt care. Not their business. I was able to pay off the credit card bills every month.

I still buy too many items -- cases of dog food and a lot of staples -- online because it's still too hard for me to do enough walking to buy groceries in a brick-and-mortar store. After all these years, I'm sick of opening boxes but it was nice, and therapeutic, in the beginning.

Old 01-16-2014, 12:58 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
I agree, if you can afford it go to it, if anything it's helping the economy, and not a problem. This is much like hoarding or extreme couponing, seems like an addiction, but can actually benefit the person. A hobby is a regular activity done for the pleasure of it. An addiction is something that is pleasurable but has negative consequences.

Old 01-16-2014, 01:03 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplepeach View Post
Idk. I am obsessed now. I think it is filling a huge void in my life- been battling depression since my mother died and am not in touch with my siblings anymore.
Sounds borderline to being unhealthy.

Old 02-12-2014, 01:45 PM

2,189 posts, read 2,606,291 times
How much do you spend and how much is your income? If you spend less than 10% of your income I don't see a problem it's just entertainment expense but if it's 30% or more could be a problem.

Old 02-20-2014, 12:51 AM

77 posts, read 103,361 times
I know what you mean. In dealing with losing my mom recently, I went a little crazy for a while buying things online, mostly from Amazon and Etsy. I've recently dialed it way back, for two main reasons:
1.) I was anticipating working by now, and since I'm not, it's time to stop hemorrhaging money.
2.) I just went several rounds with our local Post Office over a misdelivered package.

It was a simple matter of the (new and possibly not quite competent) carrier sticking my package in the post box for next door, but by their being unprofessional and bureaucratic, it became a way bigger hoo-rah than it needed to be. We're currently having problems with another package, which keeps getting misrouted because someone stuck a plain white label over part of the address and apparently no one is able to remove it and read the entire address... really, it's just more stupid shiznit. Makes me wonder what else hasn't quite made it to our doorstep...
/rant

Old 02-25-2014, 08:36 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,782,238 times
I would say the cause for concern is if it is an escape or substitute for dealing with other issues. So just be honest with yourself in answering this question.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:55 PM

836 posts, read 1,662,455 times
Agree it's verging on unhealthy but then what do you do?

One thing to consider is that you may get more credit card offers soon -would you boost your credit limit to where you can't pay it off every month?

Not long ago I got Amazon Prime with 'free' 2-day delivery and bought more than usual for a bit. I've slowed down now but can see the allure of having 'gifts' in the pipeline arriving for me.
Makes me feel special even though I'm the one ordering and paying.

Might look at other ways to boost your self-esteem without buying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation