Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 12:16 AM

760 posts, read 768,070 times

Advertisements

Anyone else do roomboxes and the like?

Here's mine shortly before completion

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2014, 06:23 AM

534 posts, read 904,553 times
Very nice...neat hobby

Old 10-04-2014, 10:25 AM

23,867 posts, read 24,099,797 times
That's pretty cool. Do you make all the furniture and fixtures yourself, or do you buy them and assemble everything the way you want it?

Old 10-04-2014, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
That's pretty cool. Do you make all the furniture and fixtures yourself, or do you buy them and assemble everything the way you want it?
The wood furniture was purchased, though some people make their own, the light fixtures, door, carpeting and paintings were purchased, most of the rest I built from scratch from mahogany and basswood.
The floor is made of random length strips of mohogany, some people use a contact paper like material for floors but I wanted real wood.

The room is more than just a room, it has a specific theme to it and a name: "The Telephone Call"

The telephone on the small table was not in view in this photo, but there is a telephone on that table with it's receiver dangling down, also not shown in the photo there is a second bag of groceries which is carelessly dropped on the floor, it's contents spilled out by the chair.

There is a book, newspaper and vase of flowers on the round table not shown in the photo.

The door in the background being left partially closed (or partially open if you prefer) for the scene, as the viewer looks over the finished art scene, they are left to consider the meaning and what transpired in the room. They will already know the title of the work centers around a telephone call as the theme, they will observe the telephone was carelessly left "off hook" and notice the two bags of groceries which includes perishables- one was DROPPED on the floor. Those elements along with the door being ajar suggests someone very quickly left the room and didn't even bother hanging up the telephone or at least putting the groceries away.
The viewer can re-create the scene in their own minds based on their own life experience of having received a call that was either tragically bad (a relative was killed or died) , or joyously happy (that job offer came through, the police found your missing boy)

I have other photos but they are on another computer at the moment.

Old 10-08-2014, 10:21 PM

7,027 posts, read 4,890,151 times
That's a lovely roombox! And I LOVE those stairs! How did you make the stairs or did you buy them? The stairs in my house aren't going to make a turn like that, but I have been thinking of putting a curved first step on the bottom of them.

I am currently remodeling an old, discontinued dollhouse into an 18 room house. Right now I only have one roombox that I call The Rose Shop. The store itself is finished, but I still need to put stuff into it to finish it off. Mainly I'm concentrating on the house at the moment, though. I'm pretty close to finishing remodeling it and am hoping to start priming it in the next couple of weeks.

I am also on another forum about dollhouses at the Greenleaf site. If you haven't seen us there, come over and visit.

Old 10-09-2014, 11:29 PM

Thank you!
I hand built the stairs with the exception of the spindles and newel post, it was not easy lining the spindles up either!
I'd like to do a house but I just don't have the room for a large item like that which would really need a table, yours sounds great.

I've seen the Greenleaf site, not quite what I was looking for for content, but I am on the IGMA forum.

The box is finished and after displaying it the last week or so in my gallery I brought it home since I don't heat the building and the display windows are in the direct and all which I wouldn't want to expose this box to it's wide temperature/humidity variations.

I'm finding it's the devil to photograph! the lights inside need to be on for effect but they are very bright and I've never heard how professionals take such photos and get rid of the glare and all. The table lamp's glow is actually not bad at all, the chandelier's glare is too bright and washes out some details, the sharpness is slightly soft too as well as the foreground being dark.

The glass front also creates reflections, so I tried this at night with all the room lights off, the glass vanishes but I'm not getting good photos, still, this should show pretty well how it looks now that it's finished

I have started work on the next room box, it will be the front portion of my brick building which I believe was originally in 1910 a furniture store. I already bought one piece of furniture for it- an ornate Bespaq console table, it is a limited edition and was already discontinued when I found a photo of one and wanted it, I spent quite a bit of time searching for a seller who had one- they literally had this last one in stock.
I posted the photo on the IGMA forum, where it was promptly LOCKED, seems they don't allow photos etc of anything other than strictly hand- made pieces, no commercially produced items allowed...

The box will be set around the 1910-1920 era.
I purchased several bags of Andi mini bricks for the facade, some of them will need to be shaped with a router to form the border my building has.

Old 10-10-2014, 08:54 AM

720 posts, read 1,708,996 times
Exquisite. I love the mystery aspect. Working off and on on a RGT with gazebo porch.
Wiring is next and I'm terrified of taking it on.

Old 10-10-2014, 10:36 PM

With wiring I decided to go with hard soldered wire instead of that tape stuff.
I had purchased several fluorette bulbs and a transformer but after I had it all in I found they were not as bright as I hoped, so I bought a foot long strip of LED bulbs and per the directions you can cut it into 3 bulb sections, so I cut it to use a couple of pieces behind the partially open door, one behind the curtained window and one in that space.

Then I discovered there was an annoying flicker which I instantly recognized as 60 cycle flicker from running DC bulbs on AC, the fluorette bulbs didn't matter what transformer was used, the LED definitely needs DC, so I wound up buying another new transformer but DC instead and that solved the issue.

If you use any LED bulbs make sure you have the right transformer.
Oh, and to make wiring up the LED strips I bought these little connector plugs for them that supposedly slipped on tight and could be soldered to the wires, so I bought 4 of them, turned out none of the 4 worked right, so I wound up soldering the wires directly to the LEDs' little circuit strips.

There is a second "painting" of a rearing horse hanging on the wall left of the curtained window that can barely just be seen in the photo.
Originally I was going to carpet the stairs with a runner but didn't.

Old 10-14-2014, 03:56 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,807,624 times
Very cool! I'm a sucker for all things miniature and that's a first class job!

Old 11-09-2014, 09:37 AM

I have started work on a second roombox, this one will be slow to get started due to my current schedule but at least I have the plywood for the facade cut out and ready to start gluing the mini bricks to.
It is going to be of my 1910 building which I believe was originally a furniture store. There is a large cutout for the two display windows with a central door, and there is a row of six windows above penciled out but the opening for them was not cut out yet in this earlier photo.
I have not yet decided how deep to make it, but the ceiling is 13 feet high in the real building, and has it's original tin ceiling, I will have to make one square of the tin design, mold and replicate it in painted plaster as many times as I need to in order to cover the ceiling.

As the brick facade on the real building has a fancy brick border up the two columns and across, I need to modify with a router and a small router bit- a bunch of the little plaster bricks I bought in order to give then a molding on one end. I set up a wood *** to firmly hold a row of maybe 30 bricks as a test and it works ok, though there is some loss of a number of bricks during the process due to breakage. Maybe after a few test runs the breakage percent will reduce.
I haven't calculated how many of those are needed

Here's the real buildings' fancy brick border that has to be replicated:

On the two columns they used alternating rows with a single white brick and two regular bricks trimmed down in length to allow the white brick to fit:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation