Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 12:53 PM

7,030 posts, read 4,910,217 times

Advertisements

I see you cut wood much, much, much better than I do. I am usually right on at the beginning and end of a cut, but between the two, the cut is likely to wander a wee bit.

These are photos of a roombox I did for a friend. I deliberately left out some things, like pictures on the wall and some other stuff, so she could go to the miniature store in her city and pick out what she liked. Nothing in here is handmade, just stuff I had on hand.

The only other roombox I've done is a rose shop. I thought if I ever find any furniture or items with roses on them, I would put them here. I didn't get very far with this one. It's rough and I only have a few things in the store.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2014, 12:50 AM

30,568 posts, read 16,259,857 times
Those rooms are awesome! handmade or not.

As to photographing-there's a photography forum on CD. You might post a question there, with a link to this topic, or a couple of your photos. It might be something as simple a certain type of filter.

Old 11-10-2014, 09:19 PM

7,030 posts, read 4,910,217 times
Thank you!

Right now I don't have a camera. My old digital one just recently said adios! It'll be a long while till I get another one, and then I'm afraid I will only be able to afford just a basic camera. Nothing fancy or special.

There is another person who makes beautiful dollhouses and roomboxes, and one of the things she does (we think), is put a very bright light outside the miniature rooms when she takes pictures. When she takes the photo if the room, it looks like sunlight is streaming into the room. It's just gorgeous and a lot of people can't believe those rooms are in miniature. I think I will try that the next time. Another thing I've tried is when the sun is shining in my room, if I put the box in the sun, the roombox looks very realistic that way too. The only thing is, I have to watch out for the background. Giant blinds outside the roombox windows do not make a miniature room look good. LOL

Old 11-18-2014, 02:53 PM

18,549 posts, read 15,610,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post
Anyone else do roomboxes and the like?

Here's mine shortly before completion
Shrink me! Shrink me!

Old 12-07-2014, 10:55 PM

760 posts, read 770,319 times
I haven't had much time to work on the 2nd roombox, but I have been doing some routing of the mini bricks I will need for the borders:

Old 12-07-2014, 10:58 PM

760 posts, read 770,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
I see you cut wood much, much, much better than I do. I am usually right on at the beginning and end of a cut, but between the two, the cut is likely to wander a wee bit.

These are photos of a roombox I did for a friend. I deliberately left out some things, like pictures on the wall and some other stuff, so she could go to the miniature store in her city and pick out what she liked. Nothing in here is handmade, just stuff I had on hand.
Those are great! I like a store front theme too.

My box has two pictures on the walls because I liked how they looked.

You would be very surprised how I cut and mitered all the wood for that first roombox, suffice it to say I don't own any miniature related tools, machines or equipment, everything was cut on a 10" sliding table saw or a 10" chop saw at work.

Old 01-14-2015, 10:35 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,500,859 times
I became fascinated with miniature furniture and scale models when I checked out a book from the library on doll houses. I bought some balsa wood from a hobby shop and made a 1/12 scale rocking chair, then a drop leaf table to go with it and some wooden utensils with a turned laminated balsa wood bowl. My latest in furniture is 1/6 scale furniture for a 1/6 scale tree house network I will be setting up in my 18 foot tall monterey cypress bonsai. The tree I made a few years ago out of green pipe cleaners and a trunk made from paper clay that holds them.
Attached Thumbnails
1/12 scale roomboxes-rocking-chair-table-utensils-wheel-barrow..jpg   1/12 scale roomboxes-rocking-chair-1.jpg   1/12 scale roomboxes-mini-doll-house-tree.jpg  

Old 01-14-2015, 12:18 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,500,859 times
This is my entire collection of miniature pieces in one area, sort of made me want to do a diorama of a Thrift Store, with Mom and Pop running it. I also got a set of miniature silverware, plates and cups from one of my clients for Christmas one year, she said that they are antiques. I sent an email to Tree house masters, the show and they liked the pictures of my Gnome furniture, doors and idea of a miniature tree house in my Monterey cypress. I have been collecting wood trimmings in scales appropriate for a mini lumber yard, so when I need to make something, I have miniature lumber, stacks of balsa wood, tiny hinges and hasps. I found a miniature hurricane lamp and cups at a local thrift store that are 1/6 scale. 1/6 scale is so much easier to work on then 1/12th. I did the table, rocking chair, utensils and bowl in 1980 and the gnome doors and table this past fall. When I go to thrift stores, I keep my eyes open to both scales.
Attached Thumbnails
1/12 scale roomboxes-doll-house-christmas-tree-unassembled.jpg   1/12 scale roomboxes-all-bonsai-front.jpg   1/12 scale roomboxes-1-12-scale-collection.jpg   1/12 scale roomboxes-1-12-scale-silverware.jpg   1/12 scale roomboxes-silver-cups-saucers-platter.jpg  

Old 02-10-2015, 06:29 AM

483 posts, read 903,562 times
WOW! I am impressed with all you guys and gals work. Great hobby! Keep those photos coming.

Last edited by SoCalTwinkie; 02-10-2015 at 06:31 AM.. Reason: more stuff to add
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation