Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2017, 06:09 AM

2,230 posts, read 1,713,838 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm trying to do some outdoors. There are a bunch of options, but I am most interested in cycling and kayaking. Mountain biking or road biking, it doesn't matter.

It's no secret that it costs a fortune to buy a decent bike, plus the maintenance. A decent kayak costs far less, and the maintenance seems to be less of an issue. But I don't feel safe going kayaking on my own, I don't have friends who reguarly paddle. On the other hand, it's easy to ride a bike alone.

Any input will be appreciated!

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2017, 06:51 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,758,001 times
Well, I enjoy kayaking. Whether it's fishing a lake or running a river it is something that that enjoy. However, options are limited for me. First, it is a minimum of a 15 minute drive to any water. Next, it is a very seasonal activity. Hard to paddle on ice. Usually, it is middle to late May before putting in the water. That is due to air and water temperature.

The buddy system is a great idea when kayaking. Also, the must haves are always a life jacket and a means of bailing the kayak if water should find a way in. For under a $1,000 you can have a very nice kayaking system. Or you can run it all the way to $4,000 for a fancy Hobie Cat.

You're right maintenance is fairly simple on a kayak.

I have a mountain bike that I haven't rode in years. I bought it in 2003. Now, it would been some to get it back on the trail. Again, cost. A decent entry level bike for an occasional user would run about $600 then add all the other things. In my mind mountain biking would be more of a early spring and fall activity.

For me, kayaking is where it's at. It's always been enjoyable.

Old 07-02-2017, 07:19 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,665,261 times
I think the main benefit to biking is that you can do it by yourself and will likely have a longer season, unless you are in a warm weather state like Florida. Bikes are also a lot easier to transport than kayaks, since there are a variety of racks you can get that don't require you to hoist the bike on top of the vehicle. You may even be able to put your bike in the car without a rack at all. If you are wanting to road bike, there are probably lots of locations you can go without a long drive.

The issue with kayaking is that you really don't want to do it alone. I just moved away from Florida, which has a year round kayaking season, and even there I talked to some people who sold their kayaks because they didn't feel they got enough use out of them to make it worth it to own one. There are usually meetup groups that do kayaking and meet regularly at places that will rent, and a lot of people said that the cost of renting ended up being cheaper in the long run than the cost/hassle of buying and transporting the kayak to the location.

I know a lot of people who bought a bike and just rented kayaks when there were meetups at locations of interest.

Old 07-25-2017, 11:54 AM

24,461 posts, read 17,203,514 times
I have a bike and kayak and both are fun outdoor pursuits.

I agree with other posters you should not go kayaking on your own but biking yes.
My wife and I found 2 used 12' old towne kayaks, paddles and thule roof racks for $400 on craigslist. The deals are out there so keep an eye out.

Bikes, you do need a good one. I got a Trek Verve 2 for about $400 and it is a perfect putting around kind of bike. Of course if you go hardcore road or off road bike you can spend thousands.

It is easier to store a bike whereas a long kayak takes up space.

Maintenance is easy on a kayak or bike unless you crash that is. All I do is check the tire pressure and off I go. The kayak I check for my equipment, paddle, life vest, bailer, rope, water proof bag for my phone, marine radio, truck keys, wallet, snacks, drink, sunscreen and hat.

I think you would get more use from a bike. I can peddle from my house, take side roads and be on a really nice bike trail in about 10 minutes. The kayaks need to be loaded up and driven somewhere if the weather is permitting.

Kayaks are a really cheap way to get out on the water. I say look for a deal on 2 and then you can wrangle a friend into going. If you do get a kayak be sure to upgrade the paddle to fit you and be light weight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation