Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2018, 08:03 AM

23,219 posts, read 29,044,905 times

Advertisements

I've finally decided to sell my multi-decade Lego collection, as I'm getting too old for it, I'm going on 68. I've spent 2 months sorting it all out, putting it into boxes, nicely stacked, including all the auxiliary pieces. I know I'll have to go through Ebay to sell it, but I'm clueless as to how to price it. Some of the white pieces have faded over the years, and some blue pieces, but the rest are in good shape.

I also have a Mega Block Tropical Color collection of 50K pieces, and I'm clueless how to price that as well.

I wasn't sure where to post this, and if the Moderator wishes to put it somewhere else, all for the good.

Your responses will be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2018, 08:09 AM

45,379 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Are they in sets or just loose bricks? Complete sets, like the Space Shuttle/747 transport combo will likely be worth more. What that means in $$ I don't know.

Old 02-27-2018, 10:04 AM

I stopped buying Lego many years ago, so the auxiliary parts came from that era of the 1970's/1980's. In each box I have counted how many 1-tit's, 2 tit's, 3 tit's, and so forth, and 2 boxes are just nothing but plates. In each box everything is counted and written on the top of the box, and all arranged by color. I had my sister do some research, and she found one seller who sold 1100 pieces for $260 on Ebay. And I know the price of Lego has gone up considerably.

So if you multiply 1100 and 100 you get 110k pieces and 100 and 260 is $26k, but that seems quite high. Perhaps I should just start out with a high minimum bid, and if no other bids, then I know I priced it too high.

I don't know what other avenue to get rid of this collection. Craigslist I don't think is a good place to list it.

Old 02-28-2018, 07:52 AM

24,490 posts, read 17,226,594 times
Lego's are Great. They were my favorite toy as a kid and I credit them with helping my building skills today.

If you can't sell the whole collection at once then break it into chunks and sell it like that.
The price is going to be a hurdle for all but the rich fans and there are not too many of them.

There are clubs of kids and adults that build stuff and most libraries will have Legos for the kids to dive into but those clubs probably won't pay much and the library would probably only accept a donation.

Good luck.

Old 02-28-2018, 09:36 AM

I just posted my Lego collection on Ebay so we shall see. My sister, who has an antique business, using Ebay a lot, threw out a $17.5k price, so I went with that. I'll soon find out if it was too high or too low.

Old 02-28-2018, 12:26 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Reading this makes my feet hurt.

Per my brother who use to make a living buying stuff at auctions and re-selling it on E-bay, you are probably way better off selling the sets individually. The key to good sales is a good description with lots of appropriate keywords. If you research the item so you know how many of that particular set was sold, when it was sold, anything interesting about it, you will have better descriptions and get a better price. He almost always got a better price for the same item sold by someone else. The time of day and day of the week/month you first list it can make a difference too. You want to list it at the time and day when you will get the most bids early on. If it sits with no bids for a week, people will be less likely to bid on it.

Old 02-28-2018, 02:33 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times
We've had good luck selling complete Lego sets. However, we have found that a lot of the buyers are resellers, so they are looking for value. Some of the popular sets will get actual buyers excited and they'll outbid the resellers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation