Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2022, 04:04 AM

7,990 posts, read 5,384,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Usually it finds you.
^ This.

I watched my Mother sew. I was given a piece of fabric with a threaded needle when I was four. 61 years later I am still doing the same thing--using a threaded needle with fabric and creating things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2022, 09:50 PM

10,300 posts, read 6,827,619 times
First time I rode a motorcycle, I realized I didn't have to pedal. Suddenly, up hills became a breeze. (This was in 1971.)

Not much has changed, I still ride.

Old 01-11-2023, 06:18 AM

6 posts, read 2,471 times
I love hiking. I'm not some extreme hiker. I don't have expensive hiking boots or fancy backpacks, nothing like that, but I enjoy spending time outdoors and seeing pretty views. I discovered it my freshman year of college when I was living in the dorms and had 0 privacy. I had to have time where I wasn't surrounded people and could decompress, so I started hiking 2-3 times per week. Now I go hiking every weekend that the weather cooperates.

Old 01-21-2023, 07:03 PM

8,491 posts, read 4,733,015 times
I didn’t find my main hobby, it found me. Cars. I literally learned to read in the auto dealers section of the yellow pages. Restored four Mustangs with my Pa, and have been doing DIY maintenance on my cars and some on my parents’ and in laws’ cars for a decade or more now. I am definitely a car, driving, and mechanical enthusiast, although contrary to most car enthusiasts, I’m not that much into sports cars or fast cars; I much prefer big, long classic American cars, up through the early 1970s - three row family wagons as well as Cadillacs, Lincolns, Chryslers, Imperials and Packards.

My other hobby is arguably related to the fascination with mechanical things (and their gauges!): watches. Fun hobby which takes a bit of money, but doesn’t take up much room. It’s really cool having mechanical, usable things on my wrist of different styles, colors, and aesthetics, not to mention being able to play with different straps and such. I’m also thinking about building my first watch with off-the-shelf components from AliExpress and Esslinger, among others. It’s a fun little hobby with a lot of fashion versatility and an outsize dose of novelty for what you pay (which can sometimes be as little as $20).

Barefoot hiking/walking is another which found me. I have never liked wearing closed-in shoes. Flip flops are fine, but even then it’s just that extra bit of attention to pay so they don’t just ride off your foot. A lot of new-age folks will claim benefits from “grounding”, though for me it’s very simple and not pseudo-scientific at all: it’s neat to feel the textures of the ground. It’s beneficial because it forces you to use your musculoskeletal system the way it was designed to be used, so it works a whole different set of muscles than even wearing flip flops. There’s also I suppose a hint of excitement over doing something taboo, although as a compromise with society I take care of my feet so they look presentable and avoid barefooting in places where food is present, like restaurants or grocery stores.

Guns are a hobby I liked up, like watches, later in life, but for some of the same reasons related to my admiration of all things mechanical. Like cars, I prefer vintage guns to modern tacticool stuff. And unlike a lot of gun bros, the shooting and feeling a gun going “bang” aren’t all that’s fun; to me, especially doing long-distance shooting, there’s a discipline and zen-like calm to doing it correctly and safely which I really, really enjoy as much as the guns themselves. The gun going off and seeing the bullet hit its target is after the climax for me, more pet of the denouement than anything else.

Old 01-21-2023, 08:18 PM

7,378 posts, read 12,664,614 times
It's funny, as I'm nearing retirement people ask me how I am going to "fill my time." I think that's a hoot, since I am having a hard time finding enough moments for all the stuff I'm interested in, but I know that work, for many people, is their life. I do enjoy my work, but I work to live, not the other way around.

First and foremost, I paint, landscapes on canvas, in oil, mostly in studio but also some plein air. Been at it for 40 years, and I think I'm learning new things for every picture I finish. I also enjoy going to art exhibits and galleries, but quality naturalistic landscape painting can be hard to find these days, other than in museums. Still, Western art is one area where landscape painting has never gone away. How did I get into painting? I've always been drawing, ever since I was 3 years old, but it was after a trip to the western United States in my 20s when I felt the urge to put my landscape impressions on paper (watercolor) and canvas.

And I knit, while watching TV, uncomplicated things I don't have to look at much while I am following a movie or a documentary, and working with my hands. We've got the house full of CFF-created sweaters, caps, dickies (= loose turtlenecks! So useful!), scarves, etc. even throws. On occasion I donate them. How long have I knitted? Since high school. I used to knit fashion sweaters for high school friends, and made a little bit of money that way.

I, too, am interested in genealogy, and have put several family trees together in photobooks. I don't do original research myself, but I try to tell stories about family members who have passed, so the new generation can have some kind of mental image of their ancestors as real people. How did I get into that? My dad was a fantastic storyteller, with sad and funny tales of old family members he'd known in his youth, and those stories now live on in my photobooks.

And I love movies and film history, and we've been movie location hunters for more than 30 years, before it became popular, documenting the location of a favorite movie with screenshots and maps. Nowadays you can find great books about movie locations, but in the 1980s and 1990s we had to invent our own methods of research. How did I get into that? Finding out that some of my favorite movies were filmed in areas I was visiting, and getting a kick out of "standing there."

Reading is hardly a hobby for me, but as essential as breathing. I'm always reading a novel. Not so much nonfiction, because that's the kind of stuff I read for work, but I could imagine getting back into enjoying nonfiction once I retire and I don't "have to."

Oh, and then there's music. I used to play guitar, but it's too hard on my fingertips these days. They've gone too soft. But I play the piano almost daily, usually popular tunes and folk songs. I'm not good at reading music, so I play by ear, on the family upright my great-grandparents bought in 1908 when they won a small sum at a local lottery. I do love family history...

I should add that the most important pastime these days is planning and finishing our retirement home in the woods of North Idaho. Is that a hobby? I don't know! But it is hugely enjoyable and frustrating at the same time.

Old 06-15-2023, 12:11 PM

979 posts, read 537,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
It's funny, as I'm nearing retirement people ask me how I am going to "fill my time." I think that's a hoot, since I am having a hard time finding enough moments for all the stuff I'm interested in, but I know that work, for many people, is their life. I do enjoy my work, but I work to live, not the other way around.

First and foremost, I paint, landscapes on canvas, in oil, mostly in studio but also some plein air. Been at it for 40 years, and I think I'm learning new things for every picture I finish. I also enjoy going to art exhibits and galleries, but quality naturalistic landscape painting can be hard to find these days, other than in museums. Still, Western art is one area where landscape painting has never gone away. How did I get into painting? I've always been drawing, ever since I was 3 years old, but it was after a trip to the western United States in my 20s when I felt the urge to put my landscape impressions on paper (watercolor) and canvas.

And I knit, while watching TV, uncomplicated things I don't have to look at much while I am following a movie or a documentary, and working with my hands. We've got the house full of CFF-created sweaters, caps, dickies (= loose turtlenecks! So useful!), scarves, etc. even throws. On occasion I donate them. How long have I knitted? Since high school. I used to knit fashion sweaters for high school friends, and made a little bit of money that way.

I, too, am interested in genealogy, and have put several family trees together in photobooks. I don't do original research myself, but I try to tell stories about family members who have passed, so the new generation can have some kind of mental image of their ancestors as real people. How did I get into that? My dad was a fantastic storyteller, with sad and funny tales of old family members he'd known in his youth, and those stories now live on in my photobooks.

And I love movies and film history, and we've been movie location hunters for more than 30 years, before it became popular, documenting the location of a favorite movie with screenshots and maps. Nowadays you can find great books about movie locations, but in the 1980s and 1990s we had to invent our own methods of research. How did I get into that? Finding out that some of my favorite movies were filmed in areas I was visiting, and getting a kick out of "standing there."

Reading is hardly a hobby for me, but as essential as breathing. I'm always reading a novel. Not so much nonfiction, because that's the kind of stuff I read for work, but I could imagine getting back into enjoying nonfiction once I retire and I don't "have to."

Oh, and then there's music. I used to play guitar, but it's too hard on my fingertips these days. They've gone too soft. But I play the piano almost daily, usually popular tunes and folk songs. I'm not good at reading music, so I play by ear, on the family upright my great-grandparents bought in 1908 when they won a small sum at a local lottery. I do love family history...

I should add that the most important pastime these days is planning and finishing our retirement home in the woods of North Idaho. Is that a hobby? I don't know! But it is hugely enjoyable and frustrating at the same time.
I am asked the same thing about retirement (which I hope to have soon). I have so many hobbies, first is gardening/landscaping. I have big yards that need a lot of work to get them the way I want, I like to paint, make pottery and ceramics, I have plans for several quilts and have all the materials, just not the time, I love to hike and travel. I will always be busy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation