Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 11:06 AM

257 posts, read 1,081,206 times

Advertisements

I just moved to East TN and I am getting a flood of birds on my feeders, and I would like to get to know what they are. I can go to my bird identification book at the local library but I need recommendations on a book, to either buy or research them on. Also I would like to invest in a good set of binoculars. Not too expensive, but not too cheap......What are the best binoculars for their value? I would be willing to pay up to $25 or so for a good pair? Is it possible to get good ones for that? and if so what kind and where do I purchase? Do I get what I pay for? like with anything else?
Is there really a difference between all the major brands, like bushnell and the like?
Also, I wear bifocals so I need binoculars that I can actually focus with so do I need a certain magnification?
Lots of Q, hope someone has lots of answers......lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2008, 11:33 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,456,213 times
I'm a middlin' birdwatcher who's gotten a fair amount of advice.

Sibley's guide (the smaller version) seems to be the best and most consistently recommended.

A decent pair of binoculars will cost you more than $25. Yes, to an extent, you get what you pay for.

An old BF gave me a pair from LL Bean one year. They had Nikon lenses, which is pretty good manufacturer. I'm not sure LL Bean sells that particular model anymore, but I've been very satisfied.

Here are a few links:
National Audubon Society
Great Backyard Bird Count — Great Backyard Bird Count
Birds - Cornell Lab of Ornithology
OpticsPlanet - Best Telescopes Microscopes Sunglasses Rifle Scopes Night Vision Binoculars Flashlights Goggles & more!

Best thing to do is to do an online search and look for a site that provides comparisons between binoculars. I've seen such before, but can't remember what it was called.

You should also join a local Audubon Society and go on a few trips with them. They will be able to get you going the right way. Plus those folks are pretty cool.

Last edited by ellie; 05-10-2008 at 11:46 AM..

Old 05-10-2008, 12:19 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,659,782 times
I have a copy of Peterson Field Guides for Eastern Birds. I use it quite extensively and I'm sure you can pick one up at any bookstore. It's edited by Roger Tory Peterson, sponsored by the National Audubon Society, the National Wildlife Federation, and the Roger Tory Peterson Institute. It's the Birders Bible, and if you go to Wal-Mart and go back into their hunting section you should be able to pick up a decent pair of binoculars for about the price that you're looking for. Happy Birding.

Old 05-10-2008, 12:46 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,105,303 times
Welcome to one of the most enhancing and joyous activities in life!!

Yes, Roger Tory Peterson's "A Field Guide to the Birds of Eastern and Central North America" is what you want.

Unfortunately, $25 will buy something like a child's toy, easily broken, not sharp view, easily scratched lenses, lenses displaced or popping out by light jarring of the binocs. For good-quality binocs with lenses that will actually let you clearly see details close-up, give you a lot of joy in your bird-watching, and with careful handling last the rest of your life, think $200 or more. And you can use them in a million applications, including every vacation and every time you drive to the store with bird visitors near the road along the way.

Last edited by allforcats; 05-10-2008 at 01:08 PM..

Old 06-04-2008, 11:59 PM

2,105 posts, read 4,602,051 times
Default demtion35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putty View Post
I just moved to East TN and I am getting a flood of birds on my feeders, and I would like to get to know what they are. I can go to my bird identification book at the local library but I need recommendations on a book, to either buy or research them on. Also I would like to invest in a good set of binoculars. Not too expensive, but not too cheap......What are the best binoculars for their value? I would be willing to pay up to $25 or so for a good pair? Is it possible to get good ones for that? and if so what kind and where do I purchase? Do I get what I pay for? like with anything else?
Is there really a difference between all the major brands, like bushnell and the like?
Also, I wear bifocals so I need binoculars that I can actually focus with so do I need a certain magnification?
More than 25 dollars. Bushnell, Browning, all good names to use, Been around forever almost. 10x50 is what you should get, wide angle, one of the eye peices should rotate for focus, then focus from center, once focused you can have option to lock in place.
Much larger than 10x50 and weight becomes an issue. 20x50s sort of heavy larger and much more magnifacation though.

Do not get from wal mart/ K mart/ or anyother similiar store. Purchase from Gander Mountain, Kabellas, LL Bean, or other outdoor equipment/sporting goods store. Bass ProShops also.

Lots of times camera dealerships has a great knowldge of viewers.
Id recommend you NOT to purchase from internet. For someone that has lots of questions, being able to talk to a person one on one is the best...
Is there a National Camera Exchange store in youre area?

We love bird watching!! It is such a awesome chance to get outside, even next to youre own window. COOL!!!

In the Northen MN. area we live in, our feeders attract from one large apple tree a huge variety of birds and some of which are:

Fox Sparrows
Robbins
Bluejays, though not often,
Swainsons Thrush
Male/female Goldfinches
SongSparrows
White Throated Sparrows
Chipping Sparrow
Dark eyed Juncos
and others.

Many videos of these are available on YouTube from other viewers. Press in any of these birds names and you will see. Id recommend it and its a great visiual and audio to use.

Its hard to rocommend a good book, but I will say this is that lots of the better bird books a divided up into regeions, for example two of the books we have are Birds of Minnesota and Wisconson, and the other is A Field Guide To The BIRDS East Of The Rockies, and a magazine we by alot is Birds & Blooms..

So where you live they may have a bird book keyed for your region.
Again Id just like to say that when we see a bird but cant identify it we will chech the books to our memories and get ones that are close and go from there.
Another option is to video tape the bird pulled in close and put it on YouTube and ask what type of bird do you think this is?? But chech out YouTube and press in the birds listed above and see for yourself. Its a great tool and its free, and a great way to get a visual.

Good luck and have fun.
PM me if you have any other queations or just re-post here.

Old 06-05-2008, 02:54 PM

767 posts, read 2,292,018 times
If you plan on using the binoculars while wearing eyglasses, the most important thing to check is called EYE RELIEF. Most cheap binoculars don't have much eye relief. You will need binoculars with 15 to 20 mm eye relief.
I would not buy 10 x 50. You will be much happier with something in the 7x or 8x range.
SWIFT makes a pretty decent pair called the 8 x 42 ULTRA LITE. They are about $200.
Go to this site, you can learn a lot about birds and binoculars.
BirdForum Reviews - Main Index - Powered by ReviewPost

Old 01-08-2009, 09:30 AM

791 posts, read 1,434,157 times
I also vote for Peterson's guide. Interestingly, during WWII, he was tapped to make a guide to enemy warplanes, using the "Peterson System."

Twenty five bucks will not buy you a great pair of binoculars, but you'll be better off with them than nothing. If you're only going to watch birds at your feeder, you might be better off with a spotting scope (low power telescope).

Old 01-13-2009, 12:24 PM

1,843 posts, read 2,371,004 times
Quote:

You won't find good binocs for $25. $50-60 is around the minimum. Bushnell is the best for the buck, IMO.

See if you can hook up with the Audobon Society. They have bird walks which are great. If not, find a State Society of Birders.

Do be careful feeding too, especially this time of year. It can disrupt their natural life cycle. That's another reason knowing some experienced birders is important.

Old 01-17-2009, 08:04 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Quote:
I have 2 Tennessee bird books:

Birds of Tennessee Field Guide by Stan Tekiela
A Compact Guide to Tennessee Birds by Michael Roedel and Gregory Kennedy

I felt the less pages I had to look through, for bird identification, the better so why not have ones specific to Tennessee.

Also, the "What Bird?" website is good. There is a forum there where you can post photos and members will help you ID them. Sometimes male/female, adult/juvenile don't look anything alike.

WhatBird | identify birds | bird identification guide | north america

Don't have binoculars, just a camera, so can't help you there.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:47 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,563,138 times
Do you have water for the birds, as well as the feeders? They need a source of water, especially in the winter. Having water will attract an even more diverse crowd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation