Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2022, 10:40 AM

2,556 posts, read 2,679,690 times

Advertisements

I finally found a person who seems willing to do my customized costume of Klaymen from the Neverhood.
I'm not sure what kind of things I should look for in the contract.

The designer mentions a company name, but is there some kind of business certificate or such I can and should be asking for?
He expects to have the costume finished in 6 months. I can wait 1 full year. Maybe a refund clause minus $50 or $100 that I could request my money back if the costume if not finished by then?
I'm not sure about materials or what works for comfortability.

Maybe I should hire a lawyer to help me draft up a contract?

He has certain details such as:

Eva foam that will be sealed and than painted with acrylic to look like clay.
Fans will be installed in the head for cooling purposes.
Clothing worn by the character will be hand sewn and included in the commission price

Any thoughts on what should be added and/or asked?
Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2022, 04:31 AM

50,353 posts, read 63,939,201 times
I would ask for pictures of his/her work. Don’t pay until it’s finished.

Old 10-06-2022, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I would ask for pictures of his/her work. Don’t pay until it’s finished.
Don't pay until it's finished is a tough one as it would seem reasonable to ask for pre-payment to be able to buy materials. They do need something for the time and energy to put the work in.

It seems like in this nerd culture, some people just pay and normally without an (informal) contract by e-mail/Word, which kind of surprised me. I can understand that for a super simple request. Something that has more significant cost and/or labor/complexity, it seems like something in writing is minimal.

I think I should stick with using an (informal) contract even if the contract is simple.

Then there's no confusion.

Old 10-06-2022, 03:18 PM

50,353 posts, read 63,939,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessimprov View Post
Don't pay until it's finished is a tough one as it would seem reasonable to ask for pre-payment to be able to buy materials. They do need something for the time and energy to put the work in.

It seems like in this nerd culture, some people just pay and normally without an (informal) contract by e-mail/Word, which kind of surprised me. I can understand that for a super simple request. Something that has more significant cost and/or labor/complexity, it seems like something in writing is minimal.

I think I should stick with using an (informal) contract even if the contract is simple.

But really, if someone has a business and they can’t afford the overhead, isn’t that a red flag? I can see perhaps a few hundred$ deposit that protects both of them, but that’s it.

Old 10-10-2022, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
But really, if someone has a business and they can’t afford the overhead, isn’t that a red flag? I can see perhaps a few hundred$ deposit that protects both of them, but that’s it.
In this case, it isn't necessarily a red flag because many costume businesses, especially ones with a storefront, which is relatively rare, but I did find one near me, are concerned about copyright and just don't want to deal with it at all. Also, if I give nothing at all, and then they go through all the effort to make the costume, then I could just theoretically say "I don't like it" even if they did a good job. Then the costume maker(s) would totally be out. So, it seems sensible there should be some kind of in-between with both some kind of protection for customer and designer (designer for being paid properly and customer for getting what they want within reason and costume being completed. For example, costume is finished 6 months - 1 year instead of 4 years.)

There is a space of people in nerdy culture where it seems like 50% upfront is standard, but then it seems I should also be looking more carefully at their past work, portfolio, what materials they use, and how they interact with me. I've run into two people, one online only, and one online but was in an online group where all of us worked at the same convention, where both of them didn't even have a contract. I do think there should be a contract in place even if it's written in a Word document and that's it.

I looked into considering an official contract through a lawyer because of the amount I was willing to consider for the costume, but one of my relatives who is a lawyer in a different state told me it wasn't worth it and that "my request should be simple".

I have a couple of smaller dollar amount requests which I am considering to ask this particular designer about, and at the same time, I think for a variety of reasons, I need to keep looking for other designer(s).

Old 10-16-2022, 10:50 PM

10,300 posts, read 6,827,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessimprov View Post

Pay 50%

Balance upon completion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation