Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 06:28 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,709,285 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I would love to learn to snowboard. It looks really fun. But I am fat. I weight about 345 and would that hinder me a lot? I am losing weight and use to way a lot more. Should I lose more weight first? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2010, 12:28 PM

1 posts, read 39,074 times
I am fat too and snowboarding in a couple of days... I will let you know. Finding Pants and stuff is definatly harder!

Old 02-07-2010, 09:59 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,231,509 times
I hate to say it, but I wouldn't advise it at your weight. I've never done any snowboarding, but I used to do a lot of downhill skiing, and each season I'd train for it. I've also been one to gain weight easily, so each year I'd have to lose 5-10 pounds to get to my ideal weight. FIVE TO TEN pounds; not 100 to 200! If you go to a ski mountain and look around, you'll see that most skiers/snowboarders are slender and in shape. There's a reason for that. You've got to be able to stay in control and survive the falls that all skiers take -- especially beginners.

Let the desire to snowboard be the impetus to lose your extra weight, then try it when you've reached your goal and can sprint 20 flights of stairs. Seriously. It wouldn't be safe at your weight.

Old 02-07-2010, 11:54 AM

22,581 posts, read 47,649,975 times
I've seen plenty of overweight people enjoying winter sports.

Snowboarding is more about balance than lack of body fat. Give it a whirl... you won't know until you try!

Old 02-09-2010, 12:51 AM

27 posts, read 98,473 times
A couple of things to know about boarding. 1: Matching a board to you is very important. Have a pro ski/board shop do this. 2: Start out slow, unlike skiis you are strapped into your board so injuries can sometimes be more prevelant. 3: Take lessons! As far as being heavy, the only drawback is you will feel the pain of the weight on your muscles and joints. Boarding will use muscles that you don't use on a daily basis so the muscle burn will be magnified. I would suggest hitting the Wii system first before going to the slopes. The balance board and movement will start you in teh right direction. And remember, if it isn't fun, don't do it. But if it is fun, do it to your hearts content!

Old 02-12-2010, 01:30 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,106,991 times
The only part that is hard is getting up after you fall and strapping in and adjusting your board while you are strapped in. It's like touching your toes with a bunch of clothes on.

Old 02-12-2010, 01:47 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,523,637 times
+1 ^
I am a former ski patroller and the hardest part of boarding is getting up when you have fallen on the slope. You will probably fall 100 times before you make your first turn.
Try to borrow a board and then lie down on your back in your yard with the board strapped to your boots. Try to get up.
This has nothing to do with obesity, it is true even for fit people learning to board.
Look in your area for someone leading a Transitions Life Style Course. I have seen great results with them.

Last edited by Crashj007; 02-12-2010 at 01:49 PM.. Reason: add TLS

Old 03-03-2010, 04:01 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,644,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnhams View Post
Hello everyone, I would love to learn to snowboard. It looks really fun. But I am fat. I weight about 345 and would that hinder me a lot? I am losing weight and use to way a lot more. Should I lose more weight first? Thanks!

You can do anything anyone else can do. To hell with reservations. If you want to lose weight, lose weight. But don't let your current weight hinder your progress in any way.

Old 03-04-2010, 12:26 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,195,349 times
I'm pretty sure you could try it, finding clothes to stay warm, on the other hand.. could be tough.
You're probably going to need a slightly longer, wider board so that you can more evenly distribute your weight over the board's length.

Also, have fun going down the slopes

Old 03-04-2010, 01:03 PM

78,366 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnhams View Post
How old are you? How much are you over a reasonable weight?

If you are 23 and a big dude >6 foot then go for it.
If you are 34 and 5'6 then you are just asking for a nice major injury which will **** away all the weight you've already lost.

When I got back into shape over a year ago, I didn't play basketball at all until I'd gotten into *good* shape as I didn't want to hurt myself.

Stick to lower impact activities until you get in decent shape if you aren't already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation