Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2010, 02:32 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,219,158 times

Advertisements

I'm not a crochet'er or knitter. But I want to make simple rectangle cat pads/mats for the feral cat that lives in a box on my patio. I bought some all wool #4 yarn and a K crochet hook.

Since I couldn't find a thick all wool I thought I'd double the strands.

Any help with

1) instructional videos on the internet - a woman at the store mentioned a yarn...B something whose website she thought had good ones but I can't remember the name.

2) recommendations of a good for this purpose stitch that is really truly easy to figure out and do (I am really bad at figuring out spatial things and directions).
I thought, and still may, do a.....regular? straight? plain? stitch but thought I'd ask if there was something else that
(a) would be warmer and (b) may be less likely to snag.

Last, the yarn available, Lion Fishermen's wool, says perfect for felting. Does this mean I should make my rectangle bigger and wash it so it tightens to a tighter mat? Some air pockets sometimes mean warmer, not sure which way to go here.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2010, 01:40 PM

1,266 posts, read 3,223,538 times
Here's a simple rectangle pattern for a place mat that would work well as your "cat mat."

Crochet Spot » Blog Archive » Crochet Pattern: Basic Rectangle Placemat - Crochet Patterns, Tutorials and News

If you are uncomfortable with the half-double crochet stitch, just substitute single crochet until it's the size you want on 42 chains. You can edge with single crochet around the entire piece if you want, or just leave it as is.

I wouldn't fool with felting unless you're certain you can live with shrinkage making the mat smaller than you want.

You can also make TWO of these mats if you want something really warm -- just stitch them together with single crochet or whip-stitch.

Old 10-15-2010, 08:43 AM

2,059 posts, read 5,748,978 times
I like lionbrandyarn.com for patterns and instructional videos and tutorials. I taught myself to knit and crochet using this site.

Old 10-15-2010, 11:47 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,683,499 times
If you just want to felt some mats, simply buy some heavy wool yardage, and throw it in your washer then dryer. It will felt up in the dryer, and then you can cut it to size. You can even do this with a wool sweater you no longer want, or go to a thrift store, buy a wool sweater or two for a couple bucks, and wash/dry them to felt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation