Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2010, 10:01 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,917,890 times

Advertisements

Anyone have experience with the MRC Prodigy DCC system? I've been holding out for the EasyDCC system, perhaps in a kit, but the MRC folks seem to have a mighty appealing product here. Seems to do it all, in a well-thought-out small wireless (or not?) handheld package.

My first power pack, back in 1963, was one I saved all summer for with my paper route (there were no credit card options back then!). It was a nice golden-faced Throttle Pack, and I used it for many years before upgrading to one of their units with built-in delayed accel and braking. Now I'm ready to go DCC.

Anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2010, 12:02 AM

3,051 posts, read 11,592,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Anyone have experience with the MRC Prodigy DCC system? I've been holding out for the EasyDCC system, perhaps in a kit, but the MRC folks seem to have a mighty appealing product here. Seems to do it all, in a well-thought-out small wireless (or not?) handheld package.
The first thing to keep in mind is that MRC has two distinct Prodigy product lines. The first is their original Prodigy DCC system, and it is, more or less, obsolete. It is a simple system, but very limited in terms of features. The other is the newer Prodigy Advance line, which includes the Advance, Advance Squared, Express, and Advance Wireless products. These products are all compatible with each other, but not with the original Prodigy.

With that in mind, I would suggest that you look into the Prodigy Advance series. I have one of the first Prodigy Advance systems that came out, and I still think it was the right product for me. Compared to the other brands that are available, MRC's PA series products are about the easiest to learn and use. They are so simple, that many people don't even both to read the manual, because MRC has thoughtfully placed basic instructions on the back of the handheld throttle.

At the time I purchased my system, I wanted features like 4 digit addressing, 28/128 speed step capability, a "fast clock" (even though I didn't know much about it), switch power routing (through the use of accessory decoders), and the 20 function controls. I liked the layout of the handheld throttle, and the simplicity of their system.

I wasn't interested in wireless capability at that time, though they introduced it a year or two later, and I'm starting to gain interest in it. On the MRC user's group that I belong to, many users now have wireless systems, and there is nearly unanimous approval of them.

I also wasn't interested in a computer interface, but they have since introduced that, too, though it's a proprietary system that isn't compatible with JMRI/DecoderPro, which is a somewhat standard computer program for programming decoders. With the newer generation of sound decoders, having a computer interface to program things like "speed tables" has become more of an interest to me. I think I'll purchase an SPROG II interface and use it with JMRI and DecoderPro rather than purchasing the MRC computer interface.

To sum up, I recommend the MRC Prodigy Advance Squared or Advance Wireless systems. They are feature packed, easy to use, and inexpensive (compared to others). I haven't used other systems, so I don't have any experience with them to compare, but my experience with the PA was that it was very easy to learn when I bought it. The biggest drawbacks (IMO) are the proprietary computer interface, and the condescending remarks from Digitrax Users. Also, MRC's decoders have a spotty track record, so you're generally better off using other brands of decoders. The good news is that the PA & PA Wireless both work with any NMRA compliant decoders (which is almost all of the ones on the market).

Old 02-28-2010, 09:01 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,917,890 times
Default Whooo- whooo!

Many thanks! Yes, I've been a sort of "philosophical" model railroader since my early teen years, and now I'm 62 and retired. Built lots of stuff, but never a layout! Sound familiar to others?

But now, I am building a little Christmas "dogbone" shaped layout that combines realistic scenery but also those horrid ceramic village buildings, with a Bachmann On3 steamer. I'll make the trestles and scenery to fit HO scale photography so I can also pose my larger collection of HO Tenshodo brass and high grade plastic CP Railway rolling stock (I'm an ex-Canuck...) stuff on the same layout. I'll just have to make sure The Family Ice Cream Shoppe isn't visible in the background.

Anyhow, for the kids who will crowd around this ceramic wonderland, I'm also wanting to generate believable track and sound performance with only 2 - 3 locos for now, but I'll eventually build my dream layout in the basement of our new home. *My wife wants to know why though, in those plans, there's a 20 X 30 foot area designated "under development"!*

Thx again!

Old 03-01-2010, 07:18 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,592,603 times
I'm more or less a collector of model trains. Other than a 4x8 sheet of plywood in the garage that has an oval of track on it, I also don't have a layout. I have a collection of Kato Unitrack and Walther's Powerloc Track that I can set up when I feel up to it, but for the most part, I just collect. When I do run my trains, I do so for a short time, then pick everything up and put it away. The Prodigy Advance is easy to set up and put away, so that's an added bonus.

I, too, am waiting until I can build my dream home with a similar area that is "under development." Can I borrow that from you for my building plans? Unfortunately, I have a while longer to wait until I can make that a reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation