Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 02:33 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,576,027 times

Advertisements

What is icing and offsides penalties? Would someone explain some of the rules please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2007, 02:52 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
You'll notice there are thick blue lines that divide the rink into thirds. If a player crosses from the middle third into the opposing team's third and then the puck also crosses into that third after him, that player is offside. A player must wait until the puck crosses into the opposing team's third before he can enter that third without risking an offside call. If a player crosses into the opposing team's third before the puck does, but crosses back into the middle third before the puck crosses into the opposing team's third, then he is not offside. So in other words, a player cannot be called offside unless both he and the puck are in the opposing team's third, and only if the player got there before the puck did. The purpose of this rule is to prevent "cherry-picking" where one player just sits down by the opposing team's goal and waits for the puck to come his way.

Icing is when a player shoots the puck from behind the center line past the opposing team's goal line without anyone else touching the puck. A ref can wave off an "icing" call if a defender had an easy opportunity to intercept the puck but chose not to. The reason for this rule is to prevent delaying tactics and to maintain the pace of the game. A team that is short-handed because of a penalty is not subject to the icing rule.

Old 08-05-2007, 03:49 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,576,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
You'll notice there are thick blue lines that divide the rink into thirds. If a player crosses from the middle third into the opposing team's third and then the puck also crosses into that third after him, that player is offside. A player must wait until the puck crosses into the opposing team's third before he can enter that third without risking an offside call. If a player crosses into the opposing team's third before the puck does, but crosses back into the middle third before the puck crosses into the opposing team's third, then he is not offside. So in other words, a player cannot be called offside unless both he and the puck are in the opposing team's third, and only if the player got there before the puck did. The purpose of this rule is to prevent "cherry-picking" where one player just sits down by the opposing team's goal and waits for the puck to come his way.

Icing is when a player shoots the puck from behind the center line past the opposing team's goal line without anyone else touching the puck. A ref can wave off an "icing" call if a defender had an easy opportunity to intercept the puck but chose not to. The reason for this rule is to prevent delaying tactics and to maintain the pace of the game. A team that is short-handed because of a penalty is not subject to the icing rule.
Thank you for the explanation and now better informed about hockey.rep 1+

Old 08-06-2007, 09:43 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
For me, being a life long hockey fan, I have no problem watching the game on TV. I would like to attend more Ranger games, but I live 120 miles away from The Garden, and only able to attend a few games a year. I do watch a lot of minor league hockey live. I frequently attend Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins games, since I only live about 10 miles away. It is def. more exciting be there live to watch hockey. This explains why the NHL has less than great ratings on TV. The die-hard hockey fan will watch no matter what, but the casual fan has trouble watching the game because they do not know all the rules. Hockey def. translates better live than on TV. As for baseball, it can be very boring at times. And the games are way too long. One game between the Yankees and White Sox the other day was 4 hours long. Way too much to be at a sporting event on a really hot summer day. Regular season hockey games usually run no more than 2 and a half hours, which is plenty. But all in all, hockey is the most exciting, fast-paced, athletic sport of the four most popular in this country and I love it!!!!!!
Its good to see a Rags fan in Pen country.

Old 08-10-2007, 02:27 AM

211 posts, read 985,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4StanleyCups View Post

I used to have Islanders season tickets from 1990-1994, only two rows up from the players bench (Milbury was fun to listen to... he was coaching some of those seasons! ). At retail (full price) each seat was $60 then.

Milbury didnt come around until 1995
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4StanleyCups View Post
Wow, I'm jealous. The cheapest seats in the 300 section at the Coliseum were $35 last season ("nosebleed seats", high/steep enough to get vertigo and the seats are crammed together with virtually no legroom -- not that there's much of that anywhere other than the 100 section but the 300s is ridiculous).

They did have a promo running during the last 1/3 of the season for CERTAIN games and for STUDENTS only. Available only at the Coliseum starting an hour before the game, with your student ID and additional photo ID if the student one didn't include a pic, for special "Student Promo Night" empty seats at $15 each. They could be anywhere in either the 100 or 200 sections, it was luck of the draw, first come first served. I know there was a limit of how many tix per person (1 or 2?) and it was never for any of the premium games (home openers, Rangers, or high profile opponents). So they were going for the highschool and college crowd. The lines started really early for those prices and the tickets went fast.

But other than that, the cheapest seat in the house is/was $35. Probably higher this year (what else is new).

200 Section used to be cheaper than 100 but two seasons ago they made the lower 200s the same prices as the 100s....
Well the cheapest seats the last few seasons in the Coliseum were actually $25 and $30(for the obstructed nosebleeds) they are actually lowering them to $19 and $30 this year, I think they are lowering a bunch of ticket prices at the coliseum, but it is still not enough, Isles have for the last few years have had some of the highest prices in the league while getting some of the worst attendances, it still will cost at least $50 to get a non obstructed seat and $75-$120 to get a half decent/good seat, youd think theyd get the message and dramatically slash ticket prices, those obstructed seats should be $10 and $20 like alot of teams in the league..

And that Student Havoc Zone thing was a good success but I heard they werent going to bring it back because there were alot of complaints from season ticket holders who were pissed off that people were spending a fraction of what they paid for that season ticket, but come January when attendance is last in the league as usual I am sure they will have some other promotion

Old 08-10-2007, 08:33 AM

289 posts, read 1,140,546 times
Quote:
Milbury didnt come around until 1995
Sorry, I should have made myself clearer.

I had full season tickets from 1990 through 1994. After that, financial prudence prompted me to downgrade to the partial (half-season) plan for the next few years, but we kept those same behind-the-bench seats. I think it was 1998 that I cut down again to a package plan (certain games only) until the 2001 season which was when I just started buying individual game tickets and by then preferring to sit about 6 rows up from either net.

Old 02-02-2009, 06:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,493 times
Default hockey on tv

Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
Do cameramen in your opinion do a good job of keeping up with the action of a hockey game?
I love hockey. There is one fundamental problem with it on tv. The directors of the coverage for some reason feel that the puck must be in the center of the picture and/or the camera must be close up on the action. They never show you enough of the ice to really see what is going on. With all the close ups and angle changes you almost have to have ADD to enjoy it at all.

They should cover hockey the way that basketball is covered. The camera should do nothing but pan side to side, and show full view of the half of the ice that puck is on. Stop changing angles, doing close ups, trying to keep the puck in the middle of the frame, etc. When the edge of the shot hits the end of the ice just behind the goal, the camera should stop panning and stay still until the puck starts to move the other way.

About the only time they really cover hockey well on tv is during power plays. The presentation is so poor that I just cannot take watching it on tv. Hockey tv producers could learn a few tips from watching some basketball tv coverage.

Old 02-02-2009, 07:59 PM

854 posts, read 2,863,517 times
no it's not.

Old 02-03-2009, 06:09 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,329,057 times
I wish the producers could cut to the action when it happens and not zoom in on someone making a line change.

Old 02-03-2009, 06:58 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,352,111 times
I don't know about the rest of you guys, but we here in Detroit are very fortunate. Foxsports, that airs the bulk of the Red Wings, has the best cameramen around and the best announcers, followed very closely by our neighbors to the north on Hockey Night in Canada- we frequently watch the Windsor station.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey