Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 06:41 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,577,165 times

Advertisements

Do cameramen in your opinion do a good job of keeping up with the action of a hockey game?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2007, 04:07 AM

420 posts, read 2,199,639 times
It's hard for me to watch hockey on television. I've been to over 100 Rangers games, and probably over 150 games in all, so obviously I favor the live action. As for watching it on TV, I like when some networks light up the puck. However, when HD networks broadcast it, I really do enjoy it. It's kind of pointless for me to watch on TV though, when I could just go to the games.

Old 07-29-2007, 05:22 AM

2,636 posts, read 6,650,253 times
Living in England I've only been to a handful of NHL games (I go quite regularly to see the Solihull Barons and the Coventry Blaze play though) but I don't really have any trouble following it on tv. The cameramen do a fantastic job and once you've been following hockey for a while you get a feel for how the puck moves so you can kind of anticipate where it's going to go.

Old 07-29-2007, 06:52 AM

211 posts, read 985,449 times
nopthing is better then watching a hockey game in person(preferably close seats, though expensive) but watching hockey on tv is just fine, but then again I am a hockey fan

and as for the question, I think they do a good job, I never had a problem watching in the 15 or so years I have been watching, some people complain, so I guess you have to like the sport, I know Fox had a glowing puck gimmick(to be able to see the puck better) several years back when they televised some games, for me seeing the puck is never a problem so I dont know

Old 07-29-2007, 07:09 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,501,220 times
Nothing is as good as watching in person; but for those of us that don't live in NHL cities (or anywhere close!) we LOVE televised NHL games. We had season tickets to the Penguins during the 11 years we lived there. Now we have season tickets to the Knoxville Ice Bears (local minor league team) and usually make two to three trips a year to an NHL game. The rest of the time we watch the games at home. God Bless the hockey camera folks!

Old 07-29-2007, 03:41 PM

289 posts, read 1,140,605 times
The TV cameras do a great job. Now, some of the commentators, on the other hand....!!!

Remember several seasons back when whatever network it was, had the comet-tailed puck? Now THAT was distracting! Glad they got rid of it.

Old 07-30-2007, 01:02 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
It's not that the game is too fast, it's that the puck is too small to follow on TV. Maybe the increased resolution of HDTV will resolve that. I remember when Fox News tried to address that by adding that "glow" thingy around the puck and they got excoriated until they stopped doing it.

Old 08-03-2007, 01:35 PM

45 posts, read 128,993 times
Hockey is too boring for television!

Old 08-03-2007, 01:50 PM

289 posts, read 1,140,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denda View Post
Hockey is too boring for television!
IMO it's not that it's "boring" (how can such a fast-paced game be boring?) but that casual viewers or tune-ins don't have a clear understanding of the rules, i.e., how the game works. I can see how someone could lose interest after a spate of "offsides" calls, etc...

Of course it comes down to what catches a viewer's interest and what doesn't, about any sport.

For instance I find baseball terminally boring. It's a slow game (snails pace compared to hockey) and basically one of 2 things happens: A batter either hits the ball or he doesn't. If he does hit it, someone either catches it or he doesn't. Basically that's what the whole game hinges on, at least from my perspective. Nothing really unexpected happens. The entire game is pretty much structured and orderly. No penalties that affect lineups or give one team a temporary advantage over the other. No fights. So for me, baseball contains no drama.

Not knocking baseball but just saying that it isn't a game that has ever appealed to me personally and I have no desire to watch it because I find it, yup, "boring".

YMMV of course

Old 08-03-2007, 02:06 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,577,165 times
Default Don't Understand Rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4StanleyCups View Post
IMO it's not that it's "boring" (how can such a fast-paced game be boring?) but that casual viewers or tune-ins don't have a clear understanding of the rules, i.e., how the game works. I can see how someone could lose interest after a spate of "offsides" calls, etc...

Of course it comes down to what catches a viewer's interest and what doesn't, about any sport.

For instance I find baseball terminally boring. It's a slow game (snails pace compared to hockey) and basically one of 2 things happens: A batter either hits the ball or he doesn't. If he does hit it, someone either catches it or he doesn't. Basically that's what the whole game hinges on, at least from my perspective. Nothing really unexpected happens. The entire game is pretty much structured and orderly. No penalties that affect lineups or give one team a temporary advantage over the other. No fights. So for me, baseball contains no drama.

Not knocking baseball but just saying that it isn't a game that has ever appealed to me personally and I have no desire to watch it because I find it, yup, "boring".

YMMV of course
I will agree with that first sentence,it is an exciting and fast moving game, but I myself don't understand a lot of the rules
and for the fact ,that I'm from Florida. I think its more exciting to attend the games.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey