Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 06:41 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,506,044 times

Advertisements

I just got some top down/bottom up cellulars for our bathroom. We have 2 large windows in there and the regular aluminum blinds that were in there were either open or closed and I hated them. I got them at Just Blinds (online). The prices were the best I found, found an additional coupon code online too (just search discount coupons for watevercompany.com). I had them send out samples first, I think they send up to 10 free. The one I thought I wanted online was really bad in person so I was glad I did the samples first.

We have also gotten some of the 2" faux wood blinds from Home Depot and Menards and I have been very happy with them. They are very reasonable and match our woodwork very well.

For our patio door I have a custom valance and a solar shade. I LOVE that combination. Our patio door is south facing so it gets a lot of afternoon sun. The solar shade blocks the sun but you can still see outside. It doesn't do much for heat retention so we put plastic on that in the winter which helps tremendously.

I have installed all our blinds by myself-but have only done a few windows at a time. For a whole house, yikes, that is a lot of work.

Old 01-11-2011, 07:29 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,104,222 times
How do you clean the dust that gets in the cells of the cellular blinds? I've never had them but have looked at them in stores and dismissed them because I can't imagine how you would clean them.

Old 01-12-2011, 07:22 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,506,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
How do you clean the dust that gets in the cells of the cellular blinds? I've never had them but have looked at them in stores and dismissed them because I can't imagine how you would clean them.
I just use the brush attachment for my vacuum. They are actually pretty easy to clean, a LOT easier than blinds or shutters.

Old 01-12-2011, 08:09 AM

892 posts, read 3,168,866 times
Quote:
I did this same thing at first but you will be amazed at how un-dirty they ever get!

Old 01-12-2011, 03:08 PM

16,287 posts, read 32,461,632 times
We moved into our home last month and did the entire home in basic mini blinds for all the rooms and verticals in the dining room and living room. (Our living room has a sliding glass door that leads to the back yard.) The idea was to do it just to have something on the windows. It was going to take 2 or 3 weeks to get the plantation shutters that we wanted. It turns out that with our duel paned white vinyl windows that have deviders inside the glass panels, the blinds look surprisingly good and were very affordable. Now we have decided to keep the blinds and save our money.

Old 07-09-2011, 08:42 PM

77 posts, read 282,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
We moved into our home last month and did the entire home in basic mini blinds for all the rooms and verticals in the dining room and living room. (Our living room has a sliding glass door that leads to the back yard.) The idea was to do it just to have something on the windows. It was going to take 2 or 3 weeks to get the plantation shutters that we wanted. It turns out that with our duel paned white vinyl windows that have deviders inside the glass panels, the blinds look surprisingly good and were very affordable. Now we have decided to keep the blinds and save our money.
I was about a start a discussion on this, can you please tell me what is the easiest way to measure the size of blinds on own, and do you have any recomendations on any website, store which have reasonable price, thank you

Old 07-10-2011, 04:34 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,104,222 times
For many of our windows, except for the formal rooms, we bought woven wood or linen roll up blinds from Lowe's and other stores - off the shelf, not custom. I love them and you can buy heavy canvas backing that easily attaches to the back of the blinds (Lowes carries this specially for the back of woven woods). They totally block light when they are closed and incredibly easy to clean and provide good insulation.

In our previous home we spent a fortune on custom plantation shutters in almost every room (thousands and thousands) and then we had custom woven wood shades made for the kitchen. Honestly the ready-made off-the shelf woven wood blinds at Lowes look absolutely just as nice as the custom ones and both have lining.

I like the textural, casual feel of woven woods. We bought some linen shades for the basement windows - I believe they also came from Lowes. You simply push them up from the bottom with your finger and they close upward in segments or pull them down to cover the windows - they are really cool and very inexpensive.

I would never go custom again well except for formal drapes in a few rooms.

Old 07-10-2011, 12:43 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,203,785 times
Quote:
For many of our windows, except for the formal rooms, we bought woven wood or linen roll up blinds from Lowe's and other stores - off the shelf, not custom. I love them and you can buy heavy canvas backing that easily attaches to the back of the blinds (Lowes carries this specially for the back of woven woods). They totally block light when they are closed and incredibly easy to clean and provide good insulation.
This is exactly what I did but went with roman style. I love them. They are a nice rich brown with varying shades of lighter brown. I added the backing on most of them. I left it off on the french doors. My MIL who has spent thousands on her window treatments remarked how lovely the blinds were and then later remarked to hubby (when I wasnt in the room of course) how she hopes I am not spending too much on the house. So if my roman shades passed MIL's critical eye, that means something. She paid thousands of dollars for custom drapes in her living room. I like JcPenneys for their drapes and curtains but not so much for their blinds. Even the hardware like rods, clip rings and so forth are over priced. I think you can do far better at Lowes OP.

Old 07-10-2011, 08:42 PM

87 posts, read 215,171 times
Any recommendations for the type of window treatment to use in a master bedroom with a sliding glass door out to a deck/balcony? The house is modern so we were thinking about a fabric blind or maybe roller shades. We could also do curtains. We're just not sure what to do since the shades would have to go to the floor, which seems a little strange for shades. A curtain seems possibly more appropriate for the door but perhaps less fitting for the modern style.

Old 07-11-2011, 08:51 AM

77 posts, read 282,288 times
Quote:

In our previous home we spent a fortune on custom plantation shutters in almost every room (thousands and thousands) and then we had custom woven wood shades made for the kitchen. Honestly the ready-made off-the shelf woven wood blinds at Lowes look absolutely just as nice as the custom ones and both have lining.

I like the textural, casual feel of woven woods. We bought some linen shades for the basement windows - I believe they also came from Lowes. You simply push them up from the bottom with your finger and they close upward in segments or pull them down to cover the windows - they are really cool and very inexpensive.

I would never go custom again well except for formal drapes in a few rooms.
Thanks for your reply, I am little bit confused, Every windows in my house is of different size, does it mean I will have to go for custom blind's ?
Or size can be easily changed for readymade blind's , thanks ...and one more thing .. how did you measure the size of blinds ? Can it be measured accurately ? thanks..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating