Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 08:03 PM

10 posts, read 21,562 times

Advertisements

I need the help from the lovely people in the Home Interior Design and Decorating forum!

My husband and I live in a small apartment (650 sq foot) with a small kitchen and small dinning room, small living room, small bedroom and small bathroom. Yes. Small

In late September/early October we are expecting our first child. Our plan was to buy a house but due to things comming up we have to stay in this apartment atleast until next May, the baby will be about 8 months by then.

Question 1. Great ways to create space? We can't put huge holes in the wall as we are only renting.
I'm currently going through our house and getting a storage unit to place all the nonessentials (my computer desk, as I have a laptop and can use the coffee table, camping gear as we only camp a few times a year... etc. Bassically anything that won't be used on a day to day basis.) But still need deorating ideas to keep our house organised and not feeling so cluttered with all our fullsized furnature.

Question 2. For all the parents out there, what are the ESSENTIAL furnature items for the first 8 months of a baby's life? So far I've thought of - Bassinet, he will be sharing his father's dresser, a stroller, and portable playpen. Will they need a high chair by then?

Thanks for your help, in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2011, 08:24 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,186,782 times
Skip the bassinet. You will need a crib. I wouldn't get the stroller until it was really needed. And yes, he will need a high chair of some sort, but it is not essential until he can sit alone. Many children by 8months are moving around quite well, some are even walking alone.

If you can work it out, a regular playpen, rather than a portable, would be better for that age.

Good luck. Don't plan too much in advance for his needs. Get stuff as you need it.

Old 05-24-2011, 08:35 PM

296 posts, read 543,092 times
Maybe skip the crib and bassinet. Have him sleep with you. That will save a lot on space. If you're not into wearing carriers or wraps, which I recommend then at least have a stroller. I don't think you'll need a play pen just yet. You really won't need much until your babe is older.

Old 05-24-2011, 08:42 PM

61,729 posts, read 87,147,355 times
^^^ those are holdable, light and easy to move. You will feel safer when you use it for your baby during the day...

Amazon.com: Graco Pack 'N Play Playard with Bassinet: Baby

Old 05-24-2011, 08:45 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,690,784 times
Buy a cheap bassinet on Craigslist and use that as long as possible, then sell or donate it when you need a crib. Can you make one corner in your bedroom as the baby's area and perhaps put a little screen, room divider or curtain up to section it off? My tenants made the master closet (which is 8 x 8 and has a window) into a bedroom for their newborn. I thought it was pretty creative and it works out for them.

Old 05-24-2011, 09:25 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,425,493 times
You may even be able to get by w/o a highchair - check out some of the booster chairs and make sure the chair the baby is sitting in is pushed in so he's safely secured. Had a friend who didnt have a ton of money and didnt have a big fancy stroller, she made do w/ an umbrella stroller and it worked out fine. Very simple clothes for the baby too, undershirts and diapers when young and growing fast.

Old 05-25-2011, 02:13 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,186,782 times
One reason that I suggested to get a crib instead of a bassinet, is that some babies are so active that they soon move around too much for one. You certainly could not use it until the babe is 8 months old.

I had one son that was very strong. We brought him home from the hospital, put him in the bassinet, he pushed himself with his heels until he had his head up against the end.....then he squawled! It took about 1/2 hour for us to figure out that he didn't like it. He was pulling up to stand in his crib at five months 20 days, his brother, took five months 21 days to learn to stand.
Of course, your baby may not be as active. But quite a few are.

You can't risk an active baby in a bassinet. Get a crib.

Old 05-25-2011, 06:49 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
I agree, a crib is more practical for long term use, you WILL need a stroller right away-get one of those "travel system" ones where you can hook the car seat into. You can also use the stroller as a high chair if needed. I would wait to buy the high chair until your baby is eating solids. Until then, there really is no need for one.

Having a newborn sleep with you is really not safe, no matter what some people say. There have been plenty of studies done to prove this but whatever.

I would suggest setting up some kind of a wall/barrier (even just sheets hung from the ceiling, to section off the crib from your bed. At first it won't be an issue but as your baby gets older, night time becomes play time if they can see you. Also, babies are noisy when they sleep. If you are a light sleeper, it might be a good idea to have the crib in the living room.

Old 05-25-2011, 07:41 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,690,784 times
Watch the Pregnant in Heels episode (I don't know which it is, maybe episode 3 or 4) where Rosie (the "maternity concierge") sets up a nursery in the corner of the parents' bedroom. Google the show, its pretty entertaining.
Pregnant in Heels Full Episodes - episode 5 season 1 | Search Results | TV Show | SideReel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating