Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 08:55 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,128,132 times

Advertisements

Wait until asked.

JMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2011, 09:28 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,184,498 times
I did make suggestions with one friend. I walked into her house, and saw that she had re-arranged her living room furniture. It was ALL WRONG. The living room was huge. She was trying to pull the furniture into the middle of the room to make it more intimate. But the back of the sofa was to the entrance of the room.

I simply said, "It would be much better if you move the sofa here, and the two chairs there, and the loveseat and tables into the bay window to create a separate seating area, etc. etc."

She instantly wanted to change it around THAT MINUTE. So we rearranged her furniture.

It looked fantastic, like it could have been featured in a decorating magazine. That was 10 years ago and her livingroom is still arranged the exact way I suggested.

I also made recommendations for many other rooms in her house.

But no, I don't make recommendations to all of my friends. This particular friend had a great house with great bones and great furniture. There was a lot to work with. And I wanted to help her make the best of it.

Making suggestions is one thing. Rearranging furniture without permission is another and a big no no.

But if someone is sensitive to people making mere suggestions, my guess is that they're not as talented at decorating as they think because it really takes an open mind to be good at decorating.

Old 10-04-2011, 09:54 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,513,820 times
Default Lots of truth here!!!

So many times I have seen really enormous homes that have the furnishings laid out so poorly that I, as a real estate agent, have been tempted to leave a sketch or something to help...

Often the "touchy" type home owner that things they know better is the hardest to get through to -- even if the hire a talented staging professional the home owner has to drag back out some of their junk and clutter up the place or worse "slide back" their furniture to the layout that makes the room seem positively unusable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I did make suggestions with one friend. I walked into her house, and saw that she had re-arranged her living room furniture. It was ALL WRONG. The living room was huge. She was trying to pull the furniture into the middle of the room to make it more intimate. But the back of the sofa was to the entrance of the room.

I simply said, "It would be much better if you move the sofa here, and the two chairs there, and the loveseat and tables into the bay window to create a separate seating area, etc. etc."

She instantly wanted to change it around THAT MINUTE. So we rearranged her furniture.

It looked fantastic, like it could have been featured in a decorating magazine. That was 10 years ago and her livingroom is still arranged the exact way I suggested.

But no, I don't make recommendations to all of my friends. This particular friend had a great house with great bones and great furniture. There was a lot to work with. And I wanted to help her make the best of it.

Making suggestions is one thing. Rearranging furniture without permission is another and a big no no.

But if someone is sensitive to people making mere suggestions, my guess is that they're not as talented at decorating as they think because it really takes an open mind to be good at decorating.

Old 10-04-2011, 01:01 PM

210 posts, read 708,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post

Suggestions are one thing I can handle and welcome if I like the persons taste. Its fun to change up a room and get ideas from friends. I'm just annoyed at this one couple that have litterally rearranged my living room without my permission, and I hate it!

Old 10-05-2011, 09:32 AM

1,386 posts, read 5,353,154 times
Yes, No, Maybe?

if we're talking about things they're doing to their house, ie: they're picking out a paint color for a room. I might throw out some suggestions. or they're painting their living room, which has a fireplace in stucco painted the same color (from the previous owners) i might say, it would look really sweet if you contrast the FP with the walls, and put a bulkier mantle on it.

my aunt is an interior designer part time. my parent's have had them over and while my mother is cooking dinner in the kitchen, my aunt has rearranged the living room furnature. probably not appropriate, but in my family no big deal.

it really comes down to how comfortable you are with the people you're talking to, and whether they accept input well. its also kind of like commenting on a problem on how someone's dressed, if its not something that can be fixed/changed easily, its better left unsaid.

I have an urge to rearrange everyone's livingroom, I'm actually pretty good at it. I have a mental block on my own living room, maybe someone can come in and offer me unsolicited advice?

Old 10-05-2011, 10:43 AM

935 posts, read 3,453,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisk327 View Post
I have an urge to rearrange everyone's livingroom, I'm actually pretty good at it. I have a mental block on my own living room, maybe someone can come in and offer me unsolicited advice?
I'm right with you on this one. I mentally redesign everything, but I need tons of advice before making a choice in my own home. I talks to many design students and professors who say this is typical...not sure why though.

Old 10-05-2011, 10:52 AM

23,416 posts, read 37,059,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWayISeeThings View Post
I'm right with you on this one. I mentally redesign everything, but I need tons of advice before making a choice in my own home. I talks to many design students and professors who say this is typical...not sure why though.
Heres my theory.........we look at our own stuff and spaces so much we dont really see it anymore, you know?
Sometimes it takes a fresh eye to see the potential.
I know that after I go away on a trip and come back into my own home I see things fresh, and am ready to change things up.
My husband lives in dread of those times.

Old 10-05-2011, 11:03 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,385,224 times
Only if they would ask my opinion. Personally, however, if I had a friend and I liked their house that they decorated and they loved to do that, I would have no issues asking them for help in my house.

Old 10-05-2011, 11:22 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,184,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joules21 View Post
Suggestions are one thing I can handle and welcome if I like the persons taste. Its fun to change up a room and get ideas from friends. I'm just annoyed at this one couple that have litterally rearranged my living room without my permission, and I hate it!
Don't you know how to say no? Just tell them to stop! It's not a hard thing to do!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating