Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 10:46 AM

3,045 posts, read 3,192,193 times

Advertisements

I'm remodeling a 2BR luxury condo. Currently, it's a 1.75 bathroom setup. There's a normal sized tub in the main bathroom. The master bathroom is actually slightly larger and has only the .75 bathroom setup.

The master has space for an actual soaking tub. I'm looking at making the master a full bath/shower and having the main bathroom be only a shower. Does anyone have any opinions on this? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2011, 10:50 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,545,155 times
Seems like the full bath would be in the master bedroom unless there would be children that need to use the full tub arrangement. For a couple, having the full bath in the master would make sense.

Old 09-27-2011, 11:57 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,287,454 times
You are going to get opinions all over the place on this but I don't think in the end it really matters. I would say that for the most part, MOST adults shower and don't take baths any more so having the tub in the main bath would be just fine. I would make the shower in the master bath REALLY nice, roomy, etc. and forget the tub.

We have a Jacuzzi tub in our master bath that everyone likes to use. I would almost prefer it NOT be in our bathroom because then I can use my bathroom when I want . In our next house we will probably put a soaking tub in a second bath and put in a really nice shower in the master.

Old 09-27-2011, 01:37 PM

22,568 posts, read 47,624,621 times
shower in master
bathtub in secondary

We have that setup and really like it.

Old 09-27-2011, 01:41 PM

18,462 posts, read 31,621,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
shower in master
bathtub in secondary

We have that setup and really like it.

Then that's the way it should be, since it is your home and for you to enjoy, you do what feels best for you.

Fortunetely, there is no right or wrong way.

Old 09-27-2011, 01:45 PM

105 posts, read 286,680 times
If you have the room, why don't you put a tub in both?

Old 09-27-2011, 02:29 PM

22,568 posts, read 47,624,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post

Fortunetely, there is no right or wrong way.
No one said there was!

Old 09-27-2011, 04:38 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,312,651 times
If I were BUYING a condo, I would prefer a double-sized, luxury shower in the master bath (nice tile, a seat, multiple shower heads) and a tub (with a single shower head) in the main bath.

Old 09-27-2011, 05:13 PM

520 posts, read 1,006,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
You are going to get opinions all over the place on this but I don't think in the end it really matters. I would say that for the most part, MOST adults shower and don't take baths any more so having the tub in the main bath would be just fine. I would make the shower in the master bath REALLY nice, roomy, etc. and forget the tub.
Totally agree. As golfgal stated, my Master Bath has .75 bath and main is a full bath. And, as another person stated, it is a matter of opinion, but if you were re-selling the place, I would find it a bit odd to have the common bath as only a .75 as this is the one that guests and the whole house will use.

But, another thought would be...take your budget, how comfortable you want to be in this place, how long you plan on being in this house, and the real estate market (short- and long-term) into consideration. If you have any reservations about any of these elements (budget, comfort, occupancy time frame, and value), I wouldn't remodel both. As one person said, I'd modernize them, but leave them in their current dimensions (1.75 bath). You'd waste money and lose value (as if the market isn't doing this for you) by taking a full bath down to a .75 bath. Then, how would you fill in the gap space left by the tub, unless you are going to do an oversize .75 shower, which would mean doing a custom tiled shower as opposed to an off-the-shelf shower pan. Then, if you rip that tub out and damage, or find damage, under the tub, or if the plumbing needs updating, then you are going to incur more costs.

Long answer short...I'd leave the configurations "as is."

Old 09-27-2011, 05:35 PM

1 posts, read 2,375 times
If I were BUYING a condo, I would prefer a double-sized, luxury shower in the master bath (nice tile, a seat, multiple shower heads) and a tub (with a single shower head) in the main bath.

totally agree
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating