Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 02:53 PM

630 posts, read 1,716,806 times

Advertisements

We are buying a home and remodeling the kitchen and baths. My question is what is the rule about using different colored cabinets in different rooms? Say I use cherry cabinets in the kitchen is it ok to put a vanilla cream cabinet in the bathroom? Or this a no-no?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 03:03 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,136,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Pajama mama~ View Post
We are buying a home and remodeling the kitchen and baths. My question is what is the rule about using different colored cabinets in different rooms? Say I use cherry cabinets in the kitchen is it ok to put a vanilla cream cabinet in the bathroom? Or this a no-no?
Definitely not a NO NO. I think what throws people off is HGTV showing newer built homes where all the cabinetry matches. The reason for this is the builder is saving money, well that is my thoughts anyway. I view each room as its own entity. I did however mirror similar elements between my kitchen and family room because they are open to each other but it was more or less keeping color schemes somewhat consistent. For example, I have a large floral rug in my family room with large orange flowers in it. In my kitchen I found some very nice orange color accessories. You get the idea.

But as far as making every cabinet, sink etc match throughout the house? No, definitely not. I would also hold off on any major renovation until you have lived in the house a couple of months. See how you will use the space. You might be surprised that the first ideas you have don't actually work for you in real life.

Old 11-18-2011, 03:07 PM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
I think that you should put whatever you have and like, its your home. The cabinets does not have to match in every room. The only thing you might want to consider is - if you have a house in one particular style - stay in that style.
Your bathroom cabinets does not need to match those in kitchen. If fact, it could look like you put there leftover from your kitchen...
I even saw two toned cabinets in the same room. If they are same style and finish, then why not??

Pictures of Kitchens - Traditional - Two-Tone Kitchen Cabinets

Old 11-18-2011, 03:09 PM

22,561 posts, read 47,614,734 times
"Rule"?
It's your house... you can do what you want!

Old 11-18-2011, 04:52 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
I believe the OP recently purchased a home that they are intending on only living in for 2-5 years before trying to sell and move again.

I mention this because a) the OP will likely be in danger of overspending if they try to get a whole house of new cabinets & b) while it is true that "kitchens & baths really sell homes" they are also PER SQUARE the BIGGEST sink holes for cash in any "fix up".

If you can get away with leaving some less than shiny new cabinets in a secondary bath you really ought to just clean 'em up and hope for the best. If you are gonna spend money on bath cabinets and kitchen cabinets the priority in terms of appearance of the cabinets should generally be kitchen, then "public" powder room / quest bath, then master, and finally "kids" bath or stuff off the rec room et cetera.

You can usually get by with a pedestal sink or very simple sink cabinet in the guest bath / powder room that will freshen up and "hits you when walk in" type eyesore for FAR LESS than you have to spend on the master bath -- larger vanity / double sinks can mean twice the drawers / twice the cost...

Old 11-18-2011, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I believe the OP recently purchased a home that they are intending on only living in for 2-5 years before trying to sell and move again.

I mention this because a) the OP will likely be in danger of overspending if they try to get a whole house of new cabinets & b) while it is true that "kitchens & baths really sell homes" they are also PER SQUARE the BIGGEST sink holes for cash in any "fix up".

If you can get away with leaving some less than shiny new cabinets in a secondary bath you really ought to just clean 'em up and hope for the best. If you are gonna spend money on bath cabinets and kitchen cabinets the priority in terms of appearance of the cabinets should generally be kitchen, then "public" powder room / quest bath, then master, and finally "kids" bath or stuff off the rec room et cetera.

You can usually get by with a pedestal sink or very simple sink cabinet in the guest bath / powder room that will freshen up and "hits you when walk in" type eyesore for FAR LESS than you have to spend on the master bath -- larger vanity / double sinks can mean twice the drawers / twice the cost...

You are correct..we don't plan on living there long term. The cabinets in all of the baths are the same as the kitchen. White plastic but they are in even worse shape. This one is beat up down to the particle board.

I don't think its salvagable. I did consider a pedestal sink but need some of the added storage of a vanity.
Attached Thumbnails
Mixing cabinets colors-dscn0159.jpg  

Old 11-18-2011, 08:10 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
You don't "think" it's salvageable? It is NOT salvageable, neither is that floor. But to the cabinet color. At least everyone agrees for a change. Not only do I mix cabinet colors in each room but I mix cabinet colors within the same room. Check this out. One of my masterpieces. This is a mix of cherry paprika and maple natural. Combine colors with multi heights and depths and you have something very very impressive. Notice how I mix the same colors within the crown molding and rope insert and then the under cabinet molding with a border color band.

'

)

Old 11-18-2011, 08:15 PM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
^^^ Hmmmmm.... VERY nice!!

Old 11-18-2011, 11:16 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
Mix all you want. You'll even see newer kitchen designs where the cabinets are mixed. Like light cabinets all around except for the island which is dark. You'll also see countertops mixed up too.

Old 11-19-2011, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
You don't "think" it's salvageable?

)
No need to be snarky. I "know" it's not..and I posted the pic to show others what I was talking about.

Anyway..what was the cost of the kitchen?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating