Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 02:34 PM

1,723 posts, read 4,098,105 times

Advertisements

ha. my style.. that's a good question. I like curvy wood, and I posted a picture of my lamps that I love. I don't know what my style is. I guess I'm a traditional, french country kinda style person.

I'd love to darken the wood, but unfortunately the living room is connected to the dining room, and I've got an oak dining room set that I can't afford to replace... so I'm stuck with the oak.

I found another fabric that I like and the price is cheap.. It's a brownish color with a darker scroll in the pattern. The website says " The background colors are shades of Tan, Straw, and Gold. The Scrolls are a neutral Earth-Taupe shade." I have a swatch of it and it's a pretty fabric which looks good with the oak trim on the furniture.

What do you think of this, and if i went with this one, how do I get other colors in the room?
Attached Thumbnails
reuhpholstering furniture and I need input-damask.gif  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 03:05 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,146,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauriedeee View Post
ha. my style.. that's a good question. I like curvy wood, and I posted a picture of my lamps that I love. I don't know what my style is. I guess I'm a traditional, french country kinda style person.

I'd love to darken the wood, but unfortunately the living room is connected to the dining room, and I've got an oak dining room set that I can't afford to replace... so I'm stuck with the oak.

I found another fabric that I like and the price is cheap.. It's a brownish color with a darker scroll in the pattern. The website says " The background colors are shades of Tan, Straw, and Gold. The Scrolls are a neutral Earth-Taupe shade." I have a swatch of it and it's a pretty fabric which looks good with the oak trim on the furniture.

What do you think of this, and if i went with this one, how do I get other colors in the room?
I am liking this one better. I am just wondering if it will look too busy. Your taste to me seems traditional. I believe I just saw that lamp at JcPenney.

Old 01-04-2012, 03:17 PM

yep.. you did see that lamp at JCPenneys.. And as far as lamps go, it was very inexpensive. With my Penneys' coupon I ended up paying $40.00 per lamp. Inexpensive is a major part of my design style.

I have a swatch of that fabric that I posted and it's really not a busy pattern. On my computer the background color looks more like a bright straw, butter type color, but in reality it's a medium brownish color, and the scroll in it is a deeper brown/taupe color.

Old 01-04-2012, 03:28 PM

171 posts, read 790,802 times
I had 2 wing chairs and a camelback sofa recovered recently. I chose a light beige, which might seem boring at first, but they really look great with my rust drapes, black and rust rug and coordinating pillows.
So my advice would be upholster in your tan/browns you said you liked, and add blue with pillows, drapes, accessories. That way, in 3-5 years if you decide you LOVE red, you won't be sorry!

Old 01-04-2012, 03:30 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,146,766 times
Quote:
yep.. you did see that lamp at JCPenneys.. And as far as lamps go, it was very inexpensive. With my Penneys' coupon I ended up paying $40.00 per lamp. Inexpensive is a major part of my design style.

I have a swatch of that fabric that I posted and it's really not a busy pattern. On my computer the background color looks more like a bright straw, butter type color, but in reality it's a medium brownish color, and the scroll in it is a deeper brown/taupe color.
I love the coupons at JCP! I saw the lamp in person because I had just went there over the weekend with my mom. She is looking for lamps.

If the pattern is not busy in person (computer monitors can make things look different) I am liking this choice a whole lot better than the blue. You will have to share the finished product.

Old 01-04-2012, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by art_teacher_mom View Post
I had 2 wing chairs and a camelback sofa recovered recently. I chose a light beige, which might seem boring at first, but they really look great with my rust drapes, black and rust rug and coordinating pillows.
So my advice would be upholster in your tan/browns you said you liked, and add blue with pillows, drapes, accessories. That way, in 3-5 years if you decide you LOVE red, you won't be sorry!
I would love to redo the sofas in a light color, but unfortunately I live with slobs, and I have pets.

With your design.. do you think it's the rug or the pillows that make it all look cohesive? I don't know if I could get an area rug. I have a female dog that is house trained, but not when it comes to carpet.

If I use the fabric in the browns that I posted.. what color would I cover the chair in?

Old 01-04-2012, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
I love the coupons at JCP! I saw the lamp in person because I had just went there over the weekend with my mom. She is looking for lamps.

If the pattern is not busy in person (computer monitors can make things look different) I am liking this choice a whole lot better than the blue. You will have to share the finished product.

I didn't see the lamps at the store, so I had them shipped.. and I got free shipping too.

I will definitely post a pic when I recover the sofas.... IF I ever figure out which fabric I'm going to use...{{sigh}}

Old 01-09-2012, 01:08 PM

I finally decided on the brownish fabric that I posted here. The picture of the fabric is really off. It's a pretty neutral fabric and not as light as the picture shows. I even pulled apart my loveseat so I'm ready when the fabric arrives.. supposedly tomorrow.

Old 01-09-2012, 01:17 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,007,099 times
Quote:
I finally decided on the brownish fabric that I posted here. The picture of the fabric is really off. It's a pretty neutral fabric and not as light as the picture shows. I even pulled apart my loveseat so I'm ready when the fabric arrives.. supposedly tomorrow.
I would bring in the blue in pillows, artwork, accessories, rugs and things of that nature that dont cost a fortune to replace when you tire of them.
With the furniture in a neutral tone, you can replace everything else at a minimum when you choose a new color palette in a few years.

Old 01-09-2012, 02:18 PM

yes, artwork. I'd forgotten all about bringing colors in with that. Thanks. I was so busy obsessing over pillow colors that I never thought of artwork.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating