Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which layout best suits this space?
#1 5 35.71%
#2 8 57.14%
#3 0 0%
#4 0 0%
#5 1 7.14%
#6 0 0%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 07:49 AM

114 posts, read 849,833 times

Advertisements

I've rearranged the furniture in this room more than a dozen times trying to find the best layout, but it's tough since it's our tv room, and where we receive guests, and lounge to read or chat.

Which layout do you think works best?[ATTACH]

1---Furniture Arrangement (floor plan included)-livingroom.jpg

2---Furniture Arrangement (floor plan included)-livingroom2.jpg

3---Furniture Arrangement (floor plan included)-livingroom3.jpg

4---Furniture Arrangement (floor plan included)-livingroom4.jpg

5---Furniture Arrangement (floor plan included)-livingroom5.jpg

6---Furniture Arrangement (floor plan included)-livingroom6.jpg[/ATTACH]

some of the furniture does not actually look like that, but they were the best choices for size.

the tall box thing on the left is the fireplace, the short box thing on the right is a radiator and large window sits above it. the front entry door sits across the fireplace, about a couple of feet to the right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2012, 08:37 AM

10,049 posts, read 18,056,896 times
What are the room dimensions? What are the furniture dimensions?

Old 05-06-2012, 08:47 AM

935 posts, read 3,445,685 times
From a functional perspective, FP #2 will work the best. The others all interrupt the traffic flow to and from the doorways or force you to walk around the seating in an awkward manner. In option #2, add an upholstered ottoman/cocktail table on caster wheels. This will enable you to push it up into the sectional when not in use so that you don't need to always walk around it. Then you have extra seating that doubles as a coffee table and foot stool.

Old 05-06-2012, 09:19 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
So the front door is to the right of the fireplace? Where is the other door leading to? i.e closet not often needed as opposed to say a bathroom. In addition to the other questions asked re: dimensions how large is the radiator or better stated how many feet or inches on either side of the radiator, same question for the wall space between the doors and the TV corner and is the left hand wall a solid wall or does that flow into another room?

Old 05-06-2012, 10:05 AM

501 posts, read 1,473,814 times
Without knowing your room and floor dimensions and what the door to the right leads to, I would agree that option #2 would work best with an ottoman in front of the sofa. If your room is large enough and your furniture small enough, you could use option #1 as long as the chairs do not block your traffic flow. I think your first designs for arranging floor plans 1&2 were the best for the room.

Old 05-06-2012, 11:42 AM

8,411 posts, read 7,417,724 times
I'm going with #5 if there is a window to the left of the chairs. It's functional if you don't want to look at TV and rather have a cup of coffee, read a book or just chat. It also allows for more seating for guest so the room isn't so crowded when you are entertaining. It makes the room feel bigger as well. #4 blocks access to the couch more if you have people over for seating.

Old 05-06-2012, 04:15 PM

the room is about 13.5' in width, and 17' in length.

the sectional opt. is 82" on both sides.

the chairs are about 42" x 32ish"...

it does flow right into an "entry way" which is about a bit over 2 feet, then there's an opening where it looks like 2 french doors used to be...goes into the dining room.

the front door is on the other end of this "entry way". posting a pic. Furniture Arrangement (floor plan included)-photo-1.jpg it's not a straight line into the house.

the door to the left leads to a room that has another doorway, so we can close it off. the door to the right leads to another common area room that has a bathroom - this we can't close off. thought about knocking down enough wall to put up french doors there to open the living room up, and still have the option to close it off for a guest room. but this might not happen for a while.

we're shopping for sofa/ love seat or sectional, so we're open with that. sectional is so cozy & comfy, and the loveseat would give us ample room in this already tight space. a couch might give us both. we currently have an oversized reclining sofa, and it's just too big (and awful on my back).

there is almost 6 feet from the radiator's edge to the front door. and 3'10" at the other end of the radiator to the built in wall shelf.

the 2 walls behind the tv are 6' long each.

loving the ottoman on caster wheels idea!
thanks for all your ideas!

Last edited by dewdrop74; 05-06-2012 at 04:17 PM.. Reason: add info

Old 05-06-2012, 05:30 PM

Given the new info, I would go with the TV on the diagonal as in view 1. I would also put a sectional perpendicular to the fireplace and curving toward the radiator. On the opposite side either a club chair or if the spacing permits a small love seat. I would enter the room from the "hall" created by the back of the sectional and turn right at the shelves on the left of the fireplace. Movable ottomans are the way to go or the storage type box ottomans that are light enough to move around and yet afford the luxury of "hiding" things out of sight. JMP

Old 05-06-2012, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Given the new info, I would go with the TV on the diagonal as in view 1. I would also put a sectional perpendicular to the fireplace and curving toward the radiator. On the opposite side either a club chair or if the spacing permits a small love seat. I would enter the room from the "hall" created by the back of the sectional and turn right at the shelves on the left of the fireplace. Movable ottomans are the way to go or the storage type box ottomans that are light enough to move around and yet afford the luxury of "hiding" things out of sight. JMP
i kinda like it.

Furniture Arrangement (floor plan included)-livingroom7.jpg

Old 05-06-2012, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewdrop74 View Post
i kinda like it.

Attachment 94953
Not exactly what I was speaking about but if you like it that is great. I would pull it back closer to where you have the "purple floor" ending. I would also make the long end (say 3 cushions) perpendicular to the fireplace and the short end of the sectional (one or two cushions, space permitting) on the radiator and window wall. If you have a club chair possibly a swivel or rocker that will allow for TV viewing as well as conversation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating