Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2013, 08:12 PM

1,379 posts, read 3,920,935 times

Advertisements

Hi, is it a big no-no for re-sale value to have all of your bedrooms, including the master, on the 2nd floor? We don't have any children, so the other two bedrooms would be used as guest bedrooms and/or office/studio space, but would that be a deterrent for a potential buyer with children to have all of the bedrooms on the same floor? There would be a catwalk that spans the vaulted area below and separates the master suite from the two spare bedrooms, which mitigates any privacy issues. It would clearly rule out a disabled person, on the other hand.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2013, 08:32 PM

6,816 posts, read 11,545,464 times
This has been discussed here before and IIRC most people with children said they would flat out reject a first floor master with the kids bedrooms upstairs. One of my grandchildren would not sleep upstairs when we had a 1st floor master and she also didn't want to sleep in the living room alone. So Grandma got to sleep on the couch and she slept on the LR floor, which she thought was fun.

Old 08-26-2013, 08:53 PM

257 posts, read 491,530 times
We bought 1st floor master with Upstairs bedrooms as a compromise to not finding a large new ranch house that meets the rest of our criteria. While our kids may not like it now, we are hoping they will appreciate their upstairs privacy with loft and game room as they enter the teenage years!

With that said, we also know that the floorplan may rule out families with little kids when we resell in the future. But at the same time, it'll be very attractive for others with same requirements as us.

All buyers are not created equal! Buy the house that meets your own needs.

Old 08-26-2013, 10:30 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Paddler View Post
Hi, is it a big no-no for re-sale value to have all of your bedrooms, including the master, on the 2nd floor?
That's actually the norm for the majority of homes in this country that are not ranches.

Old 08-26-2013, 11:44 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Here in east Texas, second floor masters (all bedrooms upstairs) are a big negative, generally. I know there are exceptions to that rule but they are just that - exceptions.

I guess it varies from region to region perhaps.

Old 08-26-2013, 11:50 PM

176 posts, read 521,055 times
I've lived in a house with all the bedrooms upstairs. It is fine as long as everyone is healthy. But without a downstairs bedroom, you have problems if someone cannot handle stairs such as a broken leg, or elderly (even if a visitor), or a new mom who is balancing a newborn and wants a daytime nap.

I'd not buy a house again that did not have a downstairs bedroom and if it did not have a downstairs shower also.

What seems good at 20 or 30 doesn't always look so good in later years. Why limit your resell potential pool of buyers if you have the choice now to buy a better layout?

Old 08-27-2013, 06:31 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Paddler View Post
Hi, is it a big no-no for re-sale value to have all of your bedrooms, including the master, on the 2nd floor?
Not here. The majority of the houses have all the bedrooms on the 2nd floor (except the ranch houses, of course!).

Old 08-27-2013, 08:31 AM

93 posts, read 225,941 times
Certainly something that must vary by market. When buying, I don't even look at multi-level homes with the master on the main living floor. I very much prefer all bedrooms on the top floor.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:59 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom2020 View Post
I've lived in a house with all the bedrooms upstairs. It is fine as long as everyone is healthy. But without a downstairs bedroom, you have problems if someone cannot handle stairs such as a broken leg, or elderly (even if a visitor), or a new mom who is balancing a newborn and wants a daytime nap.

I'd not buy a house again that did not have a downstairs bedroom and if it did not have a downstairs shower also.

What seems good at 20 or 30 doesn't always look so good in later years. Why limit your resell potential pool of buyers if you have the choice now to buy a better layout?
Right on. I believe you very much limit your buying pool if you have all bedrooms on the top floor.

I'm not saying you have to have the MASTER on the ground floor and other bedrooms upstairs, but you really need to have at least one bedroom and bathroom downstairs, in my opinion. I won't even look at a home that doesn't offer that option, and as a successful former realtor in this area, I can say that the VAST MAJORITY of my clients wanted at least one bed and bath downstairs, for EXACTLY the reasons you stated above.

People need to think these scenarios through. All it takes is one illness, one new baby and mom, one cast on a leg, or one elderly parent or guest, to drive this point home.

Last year when I had achilles tendon surgery (a common injury and surgery that can strike any age group at any time), I was in a cast and/or on crutches for NINE MONTHS. If I hadn't had a downstairs bedroom and bathroom, I would have been in a world of hurt. I honestly don't know how I would have functioned.

Think about it.

Old 08-27-2013, 09:24 AM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
In my area, the master is NEVER on the ground floor, never. All bedrooms are always upstairs, unless it is a one floor ranch.

i wouldnt like anyway, I feel it is more private upstairs.

But buy what you like, everyone cannot be constantly worried about re-sale. ugh !
there is a buyer for everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating