Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 11:18 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,290,510 times

Advertisements

Here you will see a main floor master in some of the larger two story houses but not all that common and usually if they do have one there are at least 3 bedroom's upstairs and one could be used as a master--attached bathoom and a walk in closet but not as nice as the main floor master. Our house is a traditional 2 story with no bedrooms on the main floor. We considered adding one if we were staying in the house long term but we are not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 02:12 PM

1,379 posts, read 3,919,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom2020 View Post
I've lived in a house with all the bedrooms upstairs. It is fine as long as everyone is healthy. But without a downstairs bedroom, you have problems if someone cannot handle stairs such as a broken leg, or elderly (even if a visitor), or a new mom who is balancing a newborn and wants a daytime nap.

I'd not buy a house again that did not have a downstairs bedroom and if it did not have a downstairs shower also.

What seems good at 20 or 30 doesn't always look so good in later years. Why limit your resell potential pool of buyers if you have the choice now to buy a better layout?
Yes, those are the types of things that came to mind when debating the issue. Ideally, I'd like to put one bedroom downstairs and the master and third bedroom upstairs, but then that entails adding another full bath upstairs, which is costly. I could also put *two* bedrooms downstairs and the master upstairs, in which case you only need two full bathrooms, but then all of that bedroom space on the main floor results in reducing the amount of living space you have on the main floor, since I'm working within a particular square footage restriction. It's a dilemma.

Old 08-27-2013, 06:26 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,144,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Paddler View Post
Hi, is it a big no-no for re-sale value to have all of your bedrooms, including the master, on the 2nd floor? We don't have any children, so the other two bedrooms would be used as guest bedrooms and/or office/studio space, but would that be a deterrent for a potential buyer with children to have all of the bedrooms on the same floor?
My understanding is that parents of young children tend to want all the bedrooms on the same level. In days past, not so. And for empty nesters, a bedroom on the main is preferred.

Old 08-27-2013, 06:42 PM

22,570 posts, read 47,633,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
And for empty nesters, a bedroom on the main is preferred.
Not so.
YOU might personally prefer it, but not all empty nesters do!

Old 08-27-2013, 06:48 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,821,142 times
It's personal preference. I looked at 40+ houses during our search before ending up with the house we are in. I wasn't interested in any that didn't have a first-floor master. My wife and I are both tired of steps. We ended up buying a very large single-story house, so now it's a moot point. The only steps on my property are in the pool.

I would be concerned about not having any bedrooms on the first floor if I planned on staying there forever. It would certainly be a a problem for older folks.

Old 08-27-2013, 10:30 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HWTechGuy View Post
It's personal preference. I looked at 40+ houses during our search before ending up with the house we are in. I wasn't interested in any that didn't have a first-floor master. My wife and I are both tired of steps. We ended up buying a very large single-story house, so now it's a moot point. The only steps on my property are in the pool.

I would be concerned about not having any bedrooms on the first floor if I planned on staying there forever. It would certainly be a a problem for older folks.
I agree. But I also think that this must vary by region.

People on this thread keep talking about how "most of the homes in their area have all bedrooms upstairs," for example. Well, in our area, most homes aren't two story. I live in Texas where lots tend to be large and homes tend to be one story - or one and a half with a couple of minor bedrooms upstairs, or a big game room above the garage, that sort of thing.

So in this area, two story homes are not really in as much demand as one story homes are - and two story homes with all bedrooms upstairs are in even less demand. Like I said earlier, they are, in fact, considered less desirable generally speaking. The local demand for downstairs masters or at LEAST a bedroom and bath downstairs is by far the most common request when a two story home is considered.

Old 08-28-2013, 05:05 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,290,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Paddler View Post
Yes, those are the types of things that came to mind when debating the issue. Ideally, I'd like to put one bedroom downstairs and the master and third bedroom upstairs, but then that entails adding another full bath upstairs, which is costly. I could also put *two* bedrooms downstairs and the master upstairs, in which case you only need two full bathrooms, but then all of that bedroom space on the main floor results in reducing the amount of living space you have on the main floor, since I'm working within a particular square footage restriction. It's a dilemma.
I would suggest putting 3 bedrooms on one level, doesn't matter which really but for resale, it will be much easier vs having 2 on one level. Not sure if it would work for you though. Could you put 3 bedrooms on the main and use the upstairs for a bonus/family room?

Old 08-28-2013, 09:32 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,353,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I agree. But I also think that this must vary by region.

People on this thread keep talking about how "most of the homes in their area have all bedrooms upstairs," for example. Well, in our area, most homes aren't two story. I live in Texas where lots tend to be large and homes tend to be one story - or one and a half with a couple of minor bedrooms upstairs, or a big game room above the garage, that sort of thing.

So in this area, two story homes are not really in as much demand as one story homes are - and two story homes with all bedrooms upstairs are in even less demand. Like I said earlier, they are, in fact, considered less desirable generally speaking. The local demand for downstairs masters or at LEAST a bedroom and bath downstairs is by far the most common request when a two story home is considered.

I agree with you Kathryn.

In my area, most one family homes have their bedrooms on the second floor and that is my preference. However, since many people own multi-family dwellings where I am, this is often not the case. There are practically no homes that are only one story where I live.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:36 AM

2,966 posts, read 5,215,555 times
I am temporarily leasing a home like this and I must say I kind like it.

The only thing downstairs is the kitchen. living room and 1/2 bath.

It is really convenient having the master, and other rooms all next to each other up top. Everything is held together by a large central open room with an upstairs washer/dryer. Having that washer and dryer right outside the master is fabulous.

Old 08-28-2013, 10:26 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,945,411 times
What you rarely find in a home with all the bedrooms upstairs? A way to get out in case of fire or other emergency including break-in. Bedsheets tied together aren't going to work. In the case of break-ins, you have no place to go. Heat and smoke rise and in a panic, heading down the stairs has probably killed a lot of people.

I am willing to bet that if you visit the home (maybe even you own) with bedrooms upstairs, most of the time you will not find a reliable and easy to find escape path in the dark.

Willing to bet that as soon as some read this the light bulb comes on too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating