Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 09:46 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,146,766 times

Advertisements

I have a semi flush kitchen light fixture that I like the style of. The problems with it are that it constantly blows out light bulbs. Also the design doesn't allow this to be an easy task when they do have to be changed. The glass is held on with several bolts and well its just a complete hassle to change as you pretty much take the whole fixture apart to change the bulbs.

My husband took the fixture down to figure out why we are going through light bulbs about once a week. We have been in the house a few years and the issues started happening about a year ago. So anyway, the fixture wasn't grounded. He fixed that and we thought we solved the problem but about 2 weeks later one of the bulbs burned out again. We have a friend that is an electrician and he said nothing is wrong with our wiring and so forth, it probably just a bad fixture. We are thinking of just replacing it completely.

So now Im a bit perplexed on what to replace with. The fixture matches a chandelier over the kitchen table. They are somewhat close together so its been nice that they look uniform, however I actually don't like the chandelier. The reason being it has bell glass shades and I just never liked bell shades. They have slight colored swirl on them that matches the glass on the ceiling fixture. So I guess in a way I may be looking at replacing both. I dunno, still in the thinking phase. I just don't know what to go with now. My cabinet hardware is rubbed bronze and so are the light current fixtures. I have been looking at new light fixtures and nothing has caught my eye. I do not want any fluorescent lighting in the kitchen. I have thought about a mini chandelier but that might look weird. I don't really know what my style is. I love different things. I guess Pottery Barn-ish is the closest description.

So was looking for suggestions to take in.
Attachment 95715

Last edited by fallingwater; 03-18-2013 at 01:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 07:13 AM

23,416 posts, read 37,007,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
I have a semi flush kitchen light fixture that I like the style of. The problems with it are that it constantly blows out light bulbs. Also the design doesn't allow this to be an easy task when they do have to be changed. The glass is held on with several bolts and well its just a complete hassle to change as you pretty much take the whole fixture apart to change the bulbs.

My husband took the fixture down to figure out why we are going through light bulbs about once a week. We have been in the house a few years and the issues started happening about a year ago. So anyway, the fixture wasn't grounded. He fixed that and we thought we solved the problem but about 2 weeks later one of the bulbs burned out again. We have a friend that is an electrician and he said nothing is wrong with our wiring and so forth, it probably just a bad fixture. We are thinking of just replacing it completely.

So now Im a bit perplexed on what to replace with. The fixture matches a chandelier over the kitchen table. They are somewhat close together so its been nice that they look uniform, however I actually don't like the chandelier. The reason being it has bell glass shades and I just never liked bell shades. They have slight colored swirl on them that matches the glass on the ceiling fixture. So I guess in a way I may be looking at replacing both. I dunno, still in the thinking phase. I just don't know what to go with now. My cabinet hardware is rubbed bronze and so are the light current fixtures. I have been looking at new light fixtures and nothing has caught my eye. I do not want any fluorescent lighting in the kitchen. I have thought about a mini chandelier but that might look weird. I don't really know what my style is. I love different things. I guess Pottery Barn-ish is the closest description.

So was looking for suggestions to take in.
Attachment 95715
Ahhhhh.......lighting, one of my faves!
I actually love the thought of a chandelier in the kitchen, because its unusual, the question is, are your ceilings high enough?
Here comes the other question.....any way you can post a couple of pics of the actual kitchen and the kitchen table area so I can get a feel for whats going on?
I would loooooove to help you figure out what to replace the fixtures with!

Old 05-24-2012, 07:46 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
I would try a few alternatives before going straight to the replacement stage.

Different bulbs, manufacturer, wattage, type (incandescent, CFL, HD/fan, or other) What style bulb does it use? medium base or candelabra?

Change the switch- sometimes switch contacts can get burned, creating a poor contact

Check the sockets- mainly the contact tab at the bottom. sometimes they can lose their spring resulting in very poor contact with the bulb.

Old 05-24-2012, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
I would try a few alternatives before going straight to the replacement stage.

Different bulbs, manufacturer, wattage, type (incandescent, CFL, HD/fan, or other) What style bulb does it use? medium base or candelabra?

Change the switch- sometimes switch contacts can get burned, creating a poor contact

Check the sockets- mainly the contact tab at the bottom. sometimes they can lose their spring resulting in very poor contact with the bulb.
We did everything suggested above except checking the switch. We will look at that. Thanks.

Old 05-24-2012, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Ahhhhh.......lighting, one of my faves!
I actually love the thought of a chandelier in the kitchen, because its unusual, the question is, are your ceilings high enough?
Here comes the other question.....any way you can post a couple of pics of the actual kitchen and the kitchen table area so I can get a feel for whats going on?
I would loooooove to help you figure out what to replace the fixtures with!
Thanks Kshe. My ceilings are the standard 9 feet. Not exceptionally tall. I also like interesting fixtures. Here are two pictures. One with the lights on and one without so you can see the detail of the fixtures better. Not crazy about the chandelier. Not sure why really. I like the shape of it, the glass tear drops but I think it was hung a little too high and I never cared for bell shades. Just not a fan. The bulbs are hard to change in that was well. The previous owner left the receipt for when she purchased these lights and they were pretty expensive but I also think she over paid because the quality isn't that great. I was originally thinking mini chandelier from the ceiling and a larger one over the table that are somewhat the same. I dunno. Maybe over kill?

[ATTACH]Attachment 95740[/ATTACH]

Last edited by fallingwater; 03-18-2013 at 01:09 AM..

Old 05-24-2012, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
Thanks Kshe. My ceilings are the standard 9 feet. Not exceptionally tall. I also like interesting fixtures. Here are two pictures. One with the lights on and one without so you can see the detail of the fixtures better. Not crazy about the chandelier. Not sure why really. I like the shape of it, the glass tear drops but I think it was hung a little too high and I never cared for bell shades. Just not a fan. The bulbs are hard to change in that was well. The previous owner left the receipt for when she purchased these lights and they were pretty expensive but I also think she over paid because the quality isn't that great. I was originally thinking mini chandelier from the ceiling and a larger one over the table that are somewhat the same. I dunno. Maybe over kill?

[ATTACH]Attachment 95740[/ATTACH]
First of all, let me say your kitchen is charming!
I'm not a big fan od that type of bell shade either, the naked bulb points down, and its just not flattering light, you know?
This may sound silly to you, but the fact that the kitchen fixture isnt centered bothers me, its a very quick, easy fix.
A chandelier there isnt going to look right unless its centered, you know?
I was asking how tall the ceilings were to gauge how big the light fixtures need to be.
I'm drying basil right now, so I am gonna do a bit of browsing and come back with some ideas in just a bit.

Old 05-24-2012, 11:32 AM

1,148 posts, read 3,557,855 times
I love your kitchen and your window treatments. I don't think you have to be too matchy with the kitchen and dining light. If you want to keep it more flush, I would like to see something like this: Julian Flushmount | Pottery Barn
Or if you want to stay with semi flush: http://www.potterybarn.com/products/...y=cflushmounts

Otherwise, I don't think you have the room (height) to do a chandelier.

Last edited by Kandy; 05-24-2012 at 11:48 AM..

Old 05-24-2012, 12:17 PM

Heres a few thoughts;
This could happen either in the kitchen, or over the table, it has 6" and 12" downrods, the 6" would make it the perfect height for the kitchen;
Nanti Collection Iron Oxide 20" Wide Pendant Chandelier | LampsPlus.com
It has friends, you can see that on the product page.
For something a bit more traditional, this is great....I would put just the drops on it, not the bead thingees;
Minka Lavery 3133 Crystal Tear Drop 3 Light Up Lighting Mini Chandelier
Some shades like this, only to match your window treatments would look great!
5&#34 Silk Gingham Chandelier Shade - Shades of Light
I would do this in the kitchen area to go with the above chandelier;
Amber Scavo Glass Semi-Flush 16" Wide Ceiling Light | LampsPlus.com
Am I in the ballpark with any of these?
If not, I'll do some more looking!

Old 05-24-2012, 12:33 PM

18,471 posts, read 31,643,914 times
Quote:
I'm not a big fan od that type of bell shade either, the naked bulb points down, and its just not flattering light, you know?
This may sound silly to you, but the fact that the kitchen fixture isnt centered bothers me, its a very quick, easy fix.
I was asking how tall the ceilings were to gauge how big the light fixtures need to be.
I'm drying basil right now, so I am gonna do a bit of browsing and come back with some ideas in just a bit.
I agree with you.

I also love this kitchen, it looks very warm and inviting, a room where you would like to be in.

I was thinking that since there is recessed lighting near the cabinets, is the light fixture really necessary there??, can it be removed? and ceiling patched up?

just a thought.

I too do not like to see lightbulbs.

Old 05-24-2012, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I agree with you.

I also love this kitchen, it looks very warm and inviting, a room where you would like to be in.

I was thinking that since there is recessed lighting near the cabinets, is the light fixture really necessary there??, can it be removed? and ceiling patched up?

just a thought.

I too do not like to see lightbulbs.
Thanks for the compliments!

I had to laugh regarding the comments about the fixture not being centered because its one of the things I said to my husband. Why isn't centered? This is why I love this board. I'm a little on the anal side with stuff so you guys make me feel normal. he he he.

My thinking is the builder went cheap. To the right around the corner is a small entry way that leads to the garage and also where a pantry is. There is no light there. So the ceiling light being off center helps brighten up that area.

Kshe- I knew what you meant about ceiling height. I was just confused on what is considered standard height. Is 9 or 10 foot? Anyway, they are standard heigh ceilings I believe.

As far as moving the fixture we have those textured ceilings and I don't want to mess with that stuff. It would be a nightmare, also the kitchen is open to the family room which has the same ceilings so..ugh..maybe someday but not now.

Thanks for clarifying the reason I dislike the chandelier. yes I hate looking up at bulbs too especially if the government really does make us go with those CFL's that is really going to look ugly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating