Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 08:26 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,865,329 times

Advertisements

I'm not a fan of the light wood either... so, go ahead and either make it darker or go white

Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2012, 08:26 PM
QIS

919 posts, read 5,148,435 times
I say make an accent out of it with a faux finish! Google it and get some ideas. That would be a cool project! Please let us know what you decide.
BTW: not to be a smart aleck,but, are you missing proper side wall clearances and a hearth at the fireplace? It looks like it is solid fuel rated so I thought I'd ask..a bit hard to tell in the picture.

Old 09-04-2012, 07:46 PM

3,646 posts, read 5,420,743 times
I see merits in the stain and the paint choices. I would take some good sized scrap lumber (something around the 24 x 24 size so you will have a large enough sample to obtain a good visual idea), stain/ paint the scraps and place them next to the unit. As you know, sometimes you just have to see the color up on a surface to really get a good idea.

If you decide to paint, here are some suggestions for white. When I thought that I would be selling a home and purchasing a new this summer I began some preliminary research. I always like to learn new things!

Here are some whites that are the favorites of some interior designers.
Benjamin Moore 925 Ivory White A creamy off white
Benjamin Moore 2135 - 70 Patriotic White
Benjamin Moore 1 - 02 Super White -- plays up architecture

The following paints are the top white sellers for each company.
912 Linen White Benjamin Moore
2003 Farrow and Ball
SW6385 Dover White Sherwin Williams

(Source: www.elledecor.home)
You might want to check out their website also.

Hope this helps!

Old 09-04-2012, 07:58 PM

2,544 posts, read 4,283,360 times
I agree it's not really working as is. My first thought was to go a little darker, like the square table in the foreground. But with the light floor I don't think that would work, either.

If I were to paint it, I think I'd want to get more than one color involved, like an ivory or antique white with maybe a clay accent color. Actually, I might want a third tone as well as a minor accent. I think all bright white would not really be an improvement over what's there now.

Old 09-04-2012, 08:29 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,216,960 times
Do it. We have similar-looking oak built-ins and nice thick crown and base and painted it all white and it's looks amazing. We also needed to change our wall color though because it was too warm and creamy vanilla (went with a neutral gray).

Our white, after much research, is Ben Moore Simply White.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:41 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
white cabinets are very on trend right now. I think painting the unit will update it.

Old 09-05-2012, 05:39 AM

7 posts, read 7,096 times
Wow alot of great advise!!! Thank you everyone!!!
I think for starters im going to paint the crown and base up to the unit some kind of off white and see what it looks like.
Then might try to stain darker before i paint since paint is the point of no return.

Stay tuned i go to settlement in a week and a half...getting nervous lol

Old 09-05-2012, 07:52 AM

8 posts, read 12,256 times
I think just painting the crown would look ok if you want to keep some wood tones in the room. But, I do think all white would be my preference. (Or white with a small amount of antiquing glaze.. just enough to give it some depth but not make it look *antiqued*)

Have you thought about looking into creating a stop between the two crowns? Maybe a decorative block where cabinets join wall?

Or, (and this is more elaborate) see if the built-in could be shortened by 6-8 inches without it looking too short? (the upper area looks like it could be nonfunctional panels) Replace crown trim on the cabinet and put new trim around room

Then, you could paint either one without any influence on the other.
JMHO

Old 09-05-2012, 09:57 AM

Funny you say that Funny...err lol I was thinking of shorting it and running a different crown for the built in because I'm a carpenter and I would be ridiculed if there are any blocks in my crown lol

Old 09-05-2012, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antiquesmountainapache View Post
I see merits in the stain and the paint choices. I would take some good sized scrap lumber (something around the 24 x 24 size so you will have a large enough sample to obtain a good visual idea), stain/ paint the scraps and place them next to the unit. As you know, sometimes you just have to see the color up on a surface to really get a good idea.

If you decide to paint, here are some suggestions for white. When I thought that I would be selling a home and purchasing a new this summer I began some preliminary research. I always like to learn new things!

Here are some whites that are the favorites of some interior designers.
Benjamin Moore 925 Ivory White A creamy off white
Benjamin Moore 2135 - 70 Patriotic White
Benjamin Moore 1 - 02 Super White -- plays up architecture

The following paints are the top white sellers for each company.
912 Linen White Benjamin Moore
2003 Farrow and Ball
SW6385 Dover White Sherwin Williams

(Source: www.elledecor.home)
You might want to check out their website also.

Hope this helps!
Awesome info on paint...I am usually a pure white trim user but was thinking of changing for this house. I am also a pure white ceiling user and am thinking of going a lighter tone from the walls on this one. Im guessing the trim would be the lightest shade then the ceiling, correct me if im wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating