Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 03:11 AM

2,744 posts, read 4,231,748 times

Advertisements

Looking to re-do a badly updated kitchen in a Craftsman style home. The current floor is 80s ish. We wnat tpo get away from a hard new look and have the floor look as though it's been there a while so black and white tiles might look too contemporary. We are talking about black and white large tiles. 20-50s look.

Thanks

Last edited by elnina; 09-15-2012 at 05:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2012, 07:03 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Bland and white tile would be too modern.

Truly old-fashioned kitchen flooring would be wood. You can sand and stain original wood, install new wood, or paint the wood.

I have a friend whose house is well over 100 years old. Beautiful house. All original wood flooring. Her kitchen wood floor is painted, distressed painting with an interesting border and I think some type of grape pattern. It's very subdued and looks like it has been there for over 100 years. Very understated and elegant. One of the most beautiful kitchens I've ever seen.

Old 09-15-2012, 07:25 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Bland and white tile would be too modern.

Truly old-fashioned kitchen flooring would be wood. You can sand and stain original wood, install new wood, or paint the wood.

I have a friend whose house is well over 100 years old. Beautiful house. All original wood flooring. Her kitchen wood floor is painted, distressed painting with an interesting border and I think some type of grape pattern. It's very subdued and looks like it has been there for over 100 years. Very understated and elegant. One of the most beautiful kitchens I've ever seen.
It's not that old. The house was built in 1938. I have had a wood floor in a kitchen before and even if would never do it again with the type of traffic our kitchen gets.

The rest of the house has beautiful wood floors though, and under the ugly LR carpet there is a wood floor with inlay that is in dire need of refinishing.

I think the original floor was linoleum with a marble-ish pattern and a stripe abounf the edge the walls appear to be a sanitary green. Unuer the wallpaper.

The OP is my husband.

Old 09-15-2012, 07:33 PM

1938 is old enough for wood floors to look original. You might not like it for kitchens but that's the type of floors kitchens had in the early 1900s. My girlfriend's floor would be perfect in a craftsman house. Her house is a mansion. If you paint it, the layers of finish help protect it. But the distressed paint look helps it look like it was meant to be when it wears down from heavy traffic. The reality is that a floor that looks like it has been there forever will be a floor that isn't perfect and has wear and tear.

Old 09-15-2012, 07:44 PM

Here are some other suggestions.

Octagon tiles were popular in the 20s and 30s.

If you don't want to do the black and white tile, you can do the wild linoleum designs.

This is a picture of a 1930s armstrong kitchen floor:

If you want to do black and white, don't do ceramic tile and definitely don't use large tiles.

Instead door the linoleum tiles. 12" square. Maybe an off-white for the white or a light beige to help give the appearance of old.

Old 09-15-2012, 07:57 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,653,060 times
Also instead of white try cream oe light beigey. I used to habe B&W large tiles and the white really shows the dirt quickly.

Old 09-15-2012, 08:19 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,798,510 times
By the 1930's linoleum was the floor covering most often chosen and recommended. Even in the 1920's linoleum was the flooring of choice if you could afford it. If not, you generally covered your kitchen floor with oilcloth.
Here's an ad from 1938. Most of the pics of 30's lino we see today tend to look rather busy, but compare this to the picture of the green kitchen and you'll see there was a wide choice of styles.

You can see several pages of Jane Powell's book - Linoleum on Google Books. I have a copy, and love looking at the patterns used over the decades.

Old 09-15-2012, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Here are some other suggestions.

Octagon tiles were popular in the 20s and 30s.

If you don't want to do the black and white tile, you can do the wild linoleum designs.

This is a picture of a 1930s armstrong kitchen floor:

If you want to do black and white, don't do ceramic tile and definitely don't use large tiles.

Instead door the linoleum tiles. 12" square. Maybe an off-white for the white or a light beige to help give the appearance of old.
I like ALL of these. The little bit that remains looks like the paterned stuff. Where do you get that? It's in the closets of the house too. There is some tile on the walls, The cabs look 50s and are brown wood There is a picture on another forum but it won't let me upload it here.

Old 09-15-2012, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8635angelvalley View Post
Also instead of white try cream oe light beigey. I used to habe B&W large tiles and the white really shows the dirt quickly.
I agree, Light cream and black would be nicer than a stark white.

Old 09-15-2012, 09:33 PM

We had a Mc Mansion during a lapse of sanity in the early 2000s. We are fine now, thank you and back to loving and owning old homes. And living in them.

In the New House we had thw wood floors, granite cherry and stainless. We don't want anything that even riminds us of that anymore.

There are pictures of this house on the Architecture Forum(Warren Zee) and Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal. ( under Sheena)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating