Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 06:57 PM

248 posts, read 862,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
On an encouraging note, I received word that the KD/dealer contacted the local Cardell rep and asked him to make an on-site visit to look at these issues. If that were to take place, do you have any tips for me as a customer on what to say or not say to the Cardell rep? Is my KD/dealer in this scenario an advocate for me or a neutral party?
Just ask for what you want fixed and I bet it will happen!

I hope this all woks out for you.

In the entire time I've had the cabinet business the rep has only had to come out once. If there is an issue I just take care of it. If a door is warped I just ask for another and it is sent no questions asked.

I wish you the best.

Old 07-04-2013, 12:33 PM

Did you meet with the rep? How did it work out?

Old 07-05-2013, 07:51 PM

129 posts, read 524,992 times
Would agree with desertsun41 on the match, as stain finishes made at various times won't be as near as those done together. Especially when the untimely doors are mounted side by side, a reflection of one another.

On the warped door, if it is truely warped, I wouldntt expect any adjustment to bring it flush. If there is tension in a corrective adjustment, the wood itself can have a memory and always want to "pull back". Just my opinion.

This problem you explain with backorders - they may have given you seconds just to fill the order. But then again, maybe not.

While some may not want to hear this, if you feel your concerns are fairly warranted, with reasonable tolerance levels, I would press this to be resolved by a time limit date your credit card company may have in the event a potential charge back needs to be initiated, in the event you paid by credit card.

Sounds harsh, but what are you going to do in the case that the next and the next pieces arrive substandard? Given the process, the more time that goes on, the less chance you have of decent matches, both in the wood species and the finish.

Last edited by fleck; 07-05-2013 at 08:32 PM.. Reason: did not subscribe

Old 07-06-2013, 06:28 PM

1,315 posts, read 3,228,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCS1 View Post
Did you meet with the rep? How did it work out?

Not yet. Hopefully sometime next week. I'll let you know how it goes.

Old 07-06-2013, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleck View Post
Would agree with desertsun41 on the match, as stain finishes made at various times won't be as near as those done together. Especially when the untimely doors are mounted side by side, a reflection of one another.

On the warped door, if it is truely warped, I wouldntt expect any adjustment to bring it flush. If there is tension in a corrective adjustment, the wood itself can have a memory and always want to "pull back". Just my opinion.

This problem you explain with backorders - they may have given you seconds just to fill the order. But then again, maybe not.

While some may not want to hear this, if you feel your concerns are fairly warranted, with reasonable tolerance levels, I would press this to be resolved by a time limit date your credit card company may have in the event a potential charge back needs to be initiated, in the event you paid by credit card.

Sounds harsh, but what are you going to do in the case that the next and the next pieces arrive substandard? Given the process, the more time that goes on, the less chance you have of decent matches, both in the wood species and the finish.

I've paid 60% in a check to the contractor and 40% is due after completion of installation, which hasn't occurred yet. So I have the upper hand right now in that regard. I still can't understand why the wood pieces that are attached to the back of the face frame on all my kitchen drawers were not coated with laminate or "sticker" to match the color of the particle board on the two sides of the drawer and that of the way rear/back piece of solid wood that was coated. The bathroom drawers are just fine and match the picture in the catalog. I have no idea how this got by the same inspector--whose named is stamped on both the kitchen and bath cabinets. Furthermore the top of these pieces of uncoated raw wood are rough and have saw marks on them. Not impressive to me or a future buyer. The rep isn't going to be too happy to have to replace 6 drawers and now the worry you mention about the wood stain on the exterior not matching. I prefer that all these things get fixed, but do you think the rep will offer a "lazy" solution of writing me a check to get me to "go away?"

Old 07-06-2013, 08:33 PM

129 posts, read 524,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happs View Post
I've paid 60% in a check to the contractor and 40% is due after completion of installation, which hasn't occurred yet. So I have the upper hand right now in that regard. I still can't understand why the wood pieces that are attached to the back of the face frame on all my kitchen drawers were not coated with laminate or "sticker" to match the color of the particle board on the two sides of the drawer and that of the way rear/back piece of solid wood that was coated. The bathroom drawers are just fine and match the picture in the catalog. I have no idea how this got by the same inspector--whose named is stamped on both the kitchen and bath cabinets. Furthermore the top of these pieces of uncoated raw wood are rough and have saw marks on them. Not impressive to me or a future buyer. The rep isn't going to be too happy to have to replace 6 drawers and now the worry you mention about the wood stain on the exterior not matching. I prefer that all these things get fixed, but do you think the rep will offer a "lazy" solution of writing me a check to get me to "go away?"
Those matching issues -- it still almost sounds to me, given the overall picture, like you are getting a lower grade of cabinet. It almost makes me want to ask if you got these on sale, which is a little too personal. So if you will, never mind about that...

But what you don't want to get caught in, is a point in time where the manufacturer is changing their way of doing things. This does happen, especially in a period of time when everyone is looking to cut costs.

This happened to me last summer on some doors. Right at the time of a warranty claim, the door makers, in all their wisdom, decided on changing the hinge placements of some pre-hung door units - which were already installed and difficult at that, beleive me. The supplier was late delivering the replacemet slabs, then tried dropping the wrong doors off and then tried leaving it in my lap. Problem now is we cannot get any replacement doors to fit the frames. Anyway, this kind of thing, rare as it is, does happen. Especially when manufacturers don't give a care about something called standards. Particularly when everyone seems to be looking for a cheaper supplier.

Hey they should feel grateful you didn't title this thread 'Cardell Cabinet Complaint'. That you are trying to resolve this with some measure of tact, should be appreciated!

Years back I dealt in cabinets, did 20-20 CAD layout and am somewhat familiar with this detail-oriented business. Have done some corrective work but I'm not a regular installer.

Just one other thing, and that is, these out-of-order items you mention -- as is, setting granite or corian amid this setting with task lighting will likely end up creating an amount of contradiction. But you are probable are aware of this.

As for the "lazy check" - I'd say the chances for this increase as time goes on, as the probablity of securing decent matches decreases. After enough time slides by you might even begin to hear "but that's the best we can do...that's the best anyone can do" (if pieces are not made near or at the same time) Which could also imply reasonableness.

Old 07-07-2013, 07:05 PM

Happs I have a question. Did the original kitchen ans bath dealer who sold you this stuff see all the things wrong with it? Did he or she offer a solution?

The reason why I ask is because I own a showroom and usually the showroom owner would handle this quickly in the beginning. I know I do.

Old 07-08-2013, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Happs I have a question. Did the original kitchen ans bath dealer who sold you this stuff see all the things wrong with it? Did he or she offer a solution?

The reason why I ask is because I own a showroom and usually the showroom owner would handle this quickly in the beginning. I know I do.

I emailed photos and written description of the flaws to the original kitchen dealer. The solution was to have the dealer, Cardell rep, and me meet at my house, which will take place soon.

Old 07-11-2013, 04:20 PM

Happs we would have offered to fix those things right away. i would have not sent for the rep.

Old 07-11-2013, 09:24 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,658,815 times
Quote:
Happs we would have offered to fix those things right away. i would have not sent for the rep.
Well we finally agree on something. Yes I agree completely with you here. Whom ever is dragging this thing along are idiots and unprofessional. Finishing a job to a customer's satisfaction should ALWAYS be ahead of everything else. Even if the seller experiences a loss. I believe we both have had to take a loss at times just to make a satisfied customer..........who ultimately will refer us to a friend or whomever.

I actually shared that drawer box photo with some in my circle of friends at Aristocraft and got quite a laugh. That drawer box is despicable!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating