Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2013, 11:20 AM

19,652 posts, read 12,239,759 times

Advertisements

I have to replace a living room carpet. The room opens up to another room which has deep red/black speckled carpeting. The red actually looks good in that room so it stays. I don't know what color carpet to do for the LR that will blend with the deep red in the adjoining room.

These rooms should coordinate since it is all open space with the French doors open but I do not want anything very dark for the LR carpet. Any ideas what other color carpet could go next to the red/black without breaking up the space too much or at least something that would complement the red?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2013, 11:56 AM

1,322 posts, read 3,475,675 times
That is a hard one. Not being able to see the rooms makes it harder. For me carpet and drapes choices don't come easy for me.

Perhaps a carpet that has a pattern that incudes red/black in it as an accent instead of the main color would work or a carpet that has a border that would work with the red/black rug but offer a solid center? Take a look at the site that sells to
Flor carpet squares for ideas on different options for carpet.

What color is the living room? What color is the rug you are replacing?

You mention that the rooms open to each other but is there a way to arrange the furniture so that there is a transition area?

Old 10-10-2013, 12:00 PM

13,057 posts, read 18,129,851 times
Can you post a picture so we can get a better idea?

Old 10-10-2013, 12:49 PM

1,794 posts, read 4,917,963 times
tamajane,
Without seeing this, I will tell you what I would do.
I would put a light color bamboo or hardwood floor in the living
room, I would hunt down the exact same shade of red for at least
3 accessories. (lamp bases, pics with the exact color red, or plant
vases), and then I would buy the exact shade of red sectional carpet
for the living room and put it under the coffee table, or wherever you
would see it easily from the dining room.
Carry some of the living room colors into the dining room also,
Pick the color of your couch, lets say cream, and accent that in the
dining room.
It's hard to give a suggestion without a pic.

Old 10-10-2013, 02:16 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,179,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly4u View Post
tamajane,
Without seeing this, I will tell you what I would do.
I would put a light color bamboo or hardwood floor in the living
room, I would hunt down the exact same shade of red for at least
3 accessories. (lamp bases, pics with the exact color red, or plant
vases), and then I would buy the exact shade of red sectional carpet
for the living room and put it under the coffee table, or wherever you
would see it easily from the dining room.
Carry some of the living room colors into the dining room also,
Pick the color of your couch, lets say cream, and accent that in the
dining room.
It's hard to give a suggestion without a pic.
I like a lot of what Butterfly says here. I don't know if I would go light with hardwoods, but certainly a medium warm tone would look fine. (There would a LOT of contrast with red and light wood.) I think the tones in the hardwood should harmonize with the red of the adjoining carpet.

I like the idea of adding red accents in the LR, but I hate the idea of any sort of red rug. That is a little formulaic. But red pillows on the sofa, or red glass accessories would be really nice in there, especially if the LR is mostly neutral.

Otherwise, when faced with this sort of color dilemma, I like to think of the opposite color on the color wheel, which in this case is green. You would never put the same intensity of dark green against the dark red carpet, but you might go with a very neutral green, perhaps a grayed green. If you hold samples against the red carpet, you should be able to see which ones look good. But if you go this way, take your time deciding.

If you go with warm wood tones on the LR, which I think would be a great solution for you, please consider your LR wall color. With the warm red of the adjacent carpet and the warm wood of the floor, you might want a cooler tone on your walls.

Your house sounds unique. I'd love to see a pic.

Old 10-10-2013, 03:46 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,576,031 times
How about a soft dove gray color - considered a neutral and also would coordinate well with red and/or black carpets and rugs? Cheaper than installing hardwood floors, although wood is beautiful too. I think it depends on your personal taste, your budget, and preference. Years ago, I had a very deep, rich red in my bedroom and I had a color scheme of red, black, and white with some gray thrown in. I thought it was very tasteful, personally.

Old 10-11-2013, 08:39 AM

19,652 posts, read 12,239,759 times
It has to be carpet for the budget and I will only be living there temporarily so I'm not being too picky but want it to look halfway decent for sale. Someone is renting it now so I don't have pics. The carpet really is shot and I'm not sure what color it is, brownish mauve or something.

I like the idea of the gray, saw some throw rugs with a combination of red, gray, gold and black patterns that looked good together. Gray/green sounds nice, will get some samples in that color family to try. Walls can be painted any color, so that is open.

Old 10-11-2013, 04:11 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,179,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
It has to be carpet for the budget and I will only be living there temporarily so I'm not being too picky but want it to look halfway decent for sale. Someone is renting it now so I don't have pics. The carpet really is shot and I'm not sure what color it is, brownish mauve or something.

I like the idea of the gray, saw some throw rugs with a combination of red, gray, gold and black patterns that looked good together. Gray/green sounds nice, will get some samples in that color family to try. Walls can be painted any color, so that is open.
Be sure to think of your furniture colors too, not just upholstery, but whether you have dark or light woods or warm or cooler tones. (Most wood is going to be warm in tone.) With dove gray--really pretty color--you would want a warmer toned wall, perhaps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating