Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 08:25 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,353,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyj View Post
We have a small brick fireplace tucked in a corner of our old split home. Now, I am usually not a fan of brick fireplaces and this one was buff brick, severely ugly. I painted it white to lessen the degree of ugliness while we saved the rest of the home from the 70's renovation.

We finally re-clad the brick with 12x24" dark slate coloured porcelain tiles and a slab of leather finished granite for the hearth.

Should have done it long ago.
That sounds awesome. If you can please post a pic or IM me a pic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 01:55 PM

786 posts, read 1,594,078 times
Seating hearths? Sounds fabulous, I wouldn't touch it. I painted my brick fireplace but it was white brick to begin with that had yellowed and it really looks nice, but if you have traditional red brick, it sounds very unique and I wouldn't touch it.

Old 01-06-2014, 07:54 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,056,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
That sounds awesome. If you can please post a pic or IM me a pic.
One of many projects in this old house - the process:
  1. the cheesy wood mantel was removed
  2. the new leather finished absolute black granite hearth installed over a slate hearth supported by brick (painted)
  3. the mortar joints ground out to help key the new setting bed mortar (very dirty work) and the painted brick surface sanded to remove gloss and roughen the texture
  4. tile pre-installation mockup
  5. porcelain tile (12x24) thin set over brick (above and below the hearth) - corners trimmed with clear finished aluminum
  6. finished product
  7. first fire - celebration!!

On to the next project - oh the joys of ownership of an older home
Attached Thumbnails
Help with my 1970s fireplace makeover!-100_0279.jpg   Help with my 1970s fireplace makeover!-100_0283.jpg   Help with my 1970s fireplace makeover!-photo-2.jpg   Help with my 1970s fireplace makeover!-photo-3.jpg   Help with my 1970s fireplace makeover!-photo-4.jpg  

Help with my 1970s fireplace makeover!-photo-5.jpg  

Old 01-07-2014, 08:39 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,353,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyj View Post
One of many projects in this old house - the process:
  1. the cheesy wood mantel was removed
  2. the new leather finished absolute black granite hearth installed over a slate hearth supported by brick (painted)
  3. the mortar joints ground out to help key the new setting bed mortar (very dirty work) and the painted brick surface sanded to remove gloss and roughen the texture
  4. tile pre-installation mockup
  5. porcelain tile (12x24) thin set over brick (above and below the hearth) - corners trimmed with clear finished aluminum
  6. finished product
  7. first fire - celebration!!
On to the next project - oh the joys of ownership of an older home
Very nice. Thanks for sharing that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating