Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 05:43 PM

5,851 posts, read 5,278,419 times

Advertisements

In our master bath, we have a very old tub. It took a while to find the fixtures for it since it is so unusual. The fixtures cost us over $1000. We really didn't have a choice if we wanted to keep the tub. Anyway, the fixtures are in-up & working.

Now, we are having problems with the shower curtain. We have three curtains/liners (actually four because one curtain that I bought, I didn't realize that you need a liner with it) that go all around. However, as you can see from the pic, the fixtures come up and around the tub so the curtain/liner has to go on the outside which means water gets on the floor.

Can someone give us some idea as to how we can set up the curtain so we are not mopping up the floor each time we shower? In the meanwhile, we have been showering downstairs and I haven't even be taking a bath in this tub because I like the small one better. Yup, we have a tub in the master bath that neither one of us is using.

Cat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2014, 06:03 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,025,167 times
You can cut a slit in the liner for the faucet handles to come through.

I was thinking of a horizontal slit, but I found this picture showing vertical slit cut in the liner.

Old 07-10-2014, 06:46 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,105,705 times
I could suggest something but at best it would be a pain and probably even worse to try to keep clean. Have you considered having a glass wall (think like the new showers) installed on the fixture wall? That would act as a back wall and keep the water off the floor and it could be done only on that wall.

Old 07-10-2014, 06:56 PM

Hopes that was what I was talking about but I thought the curves and size of the fixtures would make it virtually impossible to prevent enough water from escaping.

Old 07-10-2014, 08:36 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,025,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Hopes that was what I was talking about but I thought the curves and size of the fixtures would make it virtually impossible to prevent enough water from escaping.
The interior liner won't go anywhere near the curves though. The water is escaping because she doesn't have the liner inside at all. If she does a horizontal slit, she can slide it over the faucet handles. Looking at the picture again, she'll need to cut three holes too. One for the handheld shower attachment, one for where the hose comes up for the handheld shower attachment, and one for the actual faucet. The fixture are well within the tub, not close to the edge. If a small amount of water seeks out the slits, it will drip down into the tub. She might have to try a few different ways to find the one that works best, but anything is better than having the liner hanging out side of the tub.

Old 07-11-2014, 10:17 AM

I think we are going to try cutting a slit in the liner and just wrapping it around the faucet. We will see how that works and if it doesn't, we will try Plan B (when we come up with a Plan B).

For the record, we are not really impressed with our expensive bathtub fixtures.

Cat

Old 07-11-2014, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
I think we are going to try cutting a slit in the liner and just wrapping it around the faucet. We will see how that works and if it doesn't, we will try Plan B (when we come up with a Plan B).

For the record, we are not really impressed with our expensive bathtub fixtures.

Cat
Are the replacements like for like or was there a wall there or other type fixtures?

Old 07-11-2014, 10:30 AM

I would hang the outside curtain and two liners. One slit horizontally and then tucked into the tub and the second with a vertical slit for the shower head handle. I would use Velcro for sealing the slits over and put a towel on the floor in the event of spillage. I am afraid this is going to get tiresome as the liners will need to be changed with soap buildup. Or I should say for me, I hate the soap buildup so I replace my liners often.

Old 07-11-2014, 01:17 PM

17,474 posts, read 66,027,504 times
When I've run across that type of tub in some resto jobs it usually would have looked like this:

As you can see, the plumbing is quite straight forward as in most tubs today.
Don't ever recall seeing the plumbing coming out of the floor unless it was an actual clawfoot tub.

Old 07-11-2014, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
When I've run across that type of tub in some resto jobs it usually would have looked like this:

As you can see, the plumbing is quite straight forward as in most tubs today.
Don't ever recall seeing the plumbing coming out of the floor unless it was an actual clawfoot tub.

This isn't like tubs today. It sort of acts like a clawfoot tub but not exactly. The tub is original to when the bathroom was put in-we suspect around 1880 or so. Very few houses have plumbing like this which is why it took our plumber a while to find it. But, he knew about it because he actually put one like it in in another house not too long ago.

This is what it looked like when we bought the house.

When they took out the place where the faucet was, there was a big hole in the tub. They couldn't replace the faucet there because it below the tub rim and there was no run-off drain. So they HAD to replace it with what we have.

We have a clawfoot tub in our other bathroom that I take my bath in. I like it better because it is smaller and I am a small person so I fit in it better. The plumbing was easier to get (and cheaper) than on this tub.

Cat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating