Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2018, 05:47 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,989,780 times

Advertisements

I'm almost done the fireplace, I just have to grout it everything is dry.

We really only have a few projects left so it's getting exciting. I can't wait to get the rest of the furniture and throw a party.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2018, 10:34 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,989,780 times
I finished the grout on the fireplace yesterday and brought down the accessories I had for the built-ins. We're planning on filling it out with some framed photos. We're having a console table and some ottomans made for under the pachinko machines and I ordered a clock to put above the fireplace, too. I also need to select fabric for pillows for the sofa. But, we're getting there! The room is useable now, which is nice.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/TLxJuFcUdPKq9nnG2

Tomorrow I'm going to grout the backsplash on the bar and then, hopefully, the glass shelves will be ready soon and we can put them up and the bar will be done too.

We still have several small things to do before we're really done with the basement, but we are getting closer.

Old 05-29-2018, 01:16 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,338,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
I finished the grout on the fireplace yesterday and brought down the accessories I had for the built-ins. We're planning on filling it out with some framed photos. We're having a console table and some ottomans made for under the pachinko machines and I ordered a clock to put above the fireplace, too. I also need to select fabric for pillows for the sofa. But, we're getting there! The room is useable now, which is nice.

Tomorrow I'm going to grout the backsplash on the bar and then, hopefully, the glass shelves will be ready soon and we can put them up and the bar will be done too.

We still have several small things to do before we're really done with the basement, but we are getting closer.
You have come a long way! It looks phenomenal

Old 05-29-2018, 04:20 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post

Wow! Great job. Beautiful. You should be proud.

Old 06-01-2018, 07:33 PM

336 posts, read 575,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Ugh, I got so tired of our former bedding in the master bedroom. It was that dated brown and blue look and we'd had it for about 8 years. There was nothing "wrong" with it but I was just sick of looking at it! Plus though it was pretty (sort of), it was also heavy and scratchy.

So yesterday my husband and I found this quilt and shams from Southern Living and I LOVE IT. I didn't want to have to change out the lamps and rug (they have blue in them) and the neutral taupe curtains with blue velvet ribbon trim, so I think this works fine for a mini-redo! Plus it feels SO much better against the skin, and finally, the bedroom furniture seems a bit informal or rustic so the quilt is a better fit style wise, in my opinion. I love it!
Looks good!!!

Old 06-05-2018, 06:51 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Hubby is making a new fence section in the yard, between a back corner of the garage, and the privacy fence to keep the granddogs from going behind the garage when they visit. It is very wet back there at times and they love to find muddy spots. Also, the dogs next door start making a racket whenever our dogs go back there.

Hubs loves a project.

Old 06-05-2018, 08:00 AM

2,294 posts, read 3,429,640 times
Bathroom remodel at our weekend cottage, we will arrive Friday, Saturday is rip out day which should be interesting as the old tub is cast iron. Then we get to see what wonders are hidden behind the walls so we know where to start on our next visit. Sunday the weather looks good so kayaking and fishing before heading home for a shower and a rest before the dreaded Monday comes.

Old 06-05-2018, 08:19 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Alaska View Post
Bathroom remodel at our weekend cottage, we will arrive Friday, Saturday is rip out day which should be interesting as the old tub is cast iron. Then we get to see what wonders are hidden behind the walls so we know where to start on our next visit. Sunday the weather looks good so kayaking and fishing before heading home for a shower and a rest before the dreaded Monday comes.
This sounds like a heavenly combination of work and play, and going to bed tired after a full day.

Old 06-05-2018, 01:21 PM

2,867 posts, read 3,557,786 times
Have to mow the lawn....again.

We've had sooo much rain in the DC area lately, that once the sun comes out, everything grows what seems like 2 inches a day. Seriously just mowed this thing (well, had it mowed) this past Friday. When it's wet, I can't handle it myself, so I have to pay to have it done.

Old 06-07-2018, 09:33 AM

4,537 posts, read 3,756,921 times
Our pool project is nearing completion. We started with estimates last summer and opted to start after the holidays. They broke ground in February. It’s been interesting and fun to watch from beginning to end. We’ve been swimming the last four weeks, perfect timing for the hot weather arriving now.

We have pool school next week. The pool company maintains the pool for the first six weeks and then turns it over to us. The tech will bring the chemistry kit, brush, scrubbers, thermostat, etc., and show us the ins and outs. It’s a salt pool which means it has a salt generator that makes a form of chlorine. Salt pools use less chemicals, but the generator needs replaced +/- 5 years, so the cost is a draw. The water doesn’t have the heavy chlorine pool smell and the water is soft on the skin. It has a slight salt taste, but it’s not like the ocean.

We kept close to our budget, upgrading two items. When we went to pick out pavers, pool surface and tiles, we saw samples of Shellock, which is larger pavers imbedded with shells. We picked a slight buff color and love it, it was money well spent. We also decided to swap out the underwater white pool light for a multicolor one.

We had a small patio with pavers and a covered, screened lanai before. We’ve tripled our outside space with a pool cage, allowing us to be outside with no bugs bothering us. Last summer we had hurricane windows and doors installed along with a roll down hurricane shutters for the lanai opening. The hurricane shutter is see-through and I pull it down during heavy rains to keep more of the covered lanai dry, it works well.

Next up is landscaping outside the pool. We budgeted for that too, but landscaping is easier to go overboard on and add things as you go, unlike a pool. We’ll need to be careful there. We need retaining walls in two areas before our old fence is finally replaced. The landscaper is delivering rocks, flagstone and fill on Tuesday with interlocking pavers the next week. The fence is scheduled after that and we are replacing the old fence with an eight one in the back.

I’ve had someone in my back yard for the past five months every week. I’ll be glad when the landscaping is finished, the fence is up and the backyard is no longer a construction site. I can return to the usual maintenance and puttering around. And perhaps stay in my pajamas after 6 in the morning once in a while.

Last edited by jean_ji; 05-13-2020 at 07:06 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating