Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 03:21 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,714,652 times

Advertisements

I've been looking at this website: Country Curtains, to look at cafe curtains.
I've never done curtains before.
So they had one I like in Toile.
not knowing what toile was I called the company and asked them if this was a material that would fit my situation:
I want cafe curtains in the living room. I know they are usually for the kitchen, but I want to curtain only the bottom 30 inches of the window and leave the top open, so I can see the sky.

I also want privacy, so at night, people passing by cannot see in.

I explained this to the representative and she said that what I wanted was lined curtains, and cafe curtain do not come with lining. (people are buying them for a different purpose, so that makes sense.)

She said that possibly weavers cloth or buffalo check (? _ I think that's what she said) would be thick enough. (tightly woven is what she said.)

so I'm going to ask for swatches, but the swatches are small.

Wonder if you agree with the information I got, and also if anyone has any other suggestions as to material.

thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2014, 03:27 PM

2,294 posts, read 3,436,003 times
If the swatches are too small maybe order a yard or half a yard so you can see the pattern and cloth properly.

Any upholstery fabric should work for curtains, take a walk through a fabric store so you can touch and feel the different types of fabric so you can see what you like.

Old 09-11-2014, 08:46 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,229,616 times
As you can see in this link
Our Eclectic Life: (Pretty) quick sew-yourself kitchen cafe curtains scroll down to the bottom to see the finished curtain and see through it is.
the toile fabric can be thin and would not give you the privacy you might want. It could be lined and made to be more block out. I don't know successful this would be though. Keep looking for a heavier fabric if you indeed want privacy.

Old 09-12-2014, 10:09 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,261,726 times
I know you said you wanted cafe curtains, but another option you might want to consider would be a top down shade. That would give privacy at the bottom with the ability to lower it from the top so you get light and a view of the sky.

Top Down Bottom Up Shades Allow You to Lower & Raise Both Ends

Old 09-13-2014, 04:53 AM

Default I never knew this existed!

But I always said this would make sense.

I think they are more than I can afford, but anyway, I'm going to look this over. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I know you said you wanted cafe curtains, but another option you might want to consider would be a top down shade. That would give privacy at the bottom with the ability to lower it from the top so you get light and a view of the sky.

Top Down Bottom Up Shades Allow You to Lower & Raise Both Ends

Old 09-13-2014, 04:57 AM

Default thanks, I love your curtains!

wish I were handy, but I'm not. It's not me.

but I do admire your work, and of course much more frugal if we can make things ourselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
As you can see in this link
Our Eclectic Life: (Pretty) quick sew-yourself kitchen cafe curtains scroll down to the bottom to see the finished curtain and see through it is.
the toile fabric can be thin and would not give you the privacy you might want. It could be lined and made to be more block out. I don't know successful this would be though. Keep looking for a heavier fabric if you indeed want privacy.

Old 09-13-2014, 05:01 AM

Default thanks, excellent idea. nt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Alaska View Post
If the swatches are too small maybe order a yard or half a yard so you can see the pattern and cloth properly.

Any upholstery fabric should work for curtains, take a walk through a fabric store so you can touch and feel the different types of fabric so you can see what you like.

Old 09-13-2014, 05:15 AM

61,914 posts, read 87,450,383 times
Cafe house curtains are usually made of cotton.
Ideas:
Cafe Curtains Design Ideas, Pictures, Remodel and Decor

Where to buy:
http://www1.macys.com/shop/for-the-h...tains?id=57515
Buy Cafe Curtains from Bed Bath & Beyond
Cafe Curtains, Tier Curtains - Swags Galore - Kitchen Curtains
and of course a HUGE selection at Amazon:
Amazon.com: Tiers - Window Treatments: Home & Kitchen

Happy decorating!!

Old 09-13-2014, 10:39 AM

Default thanks.

I love looking at the pictures.

Old 09-13-2014, 11:25 AM

1,192 posts, read 2,487,666 times
Ballard's has lined cafe curtains. They're not toile, and I don't know what you would do with the valances, might could use them in the kitchen area.

Cafe Panels | Ballard Designs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating