Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 03:47 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,373,584 times

Advertisements

Aside from buying things only in darker colors, are there different types of sheets that won't get dirty looking relatively quickly?

My husband seems to be a sweaty sleeper and this is pretty much destroying everything I buy for the bed. Doesn't matter if you wash it or scrub it---the sheets are stained/looked dirty/whatever.

Has anyone every tried anything like these (https://wickedsheets.com/shop) or have any other suggestions? I want something nice and that goes with my bedroom---hence I don't want black or white sheets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2015, 04:14 AM

61,919 posts, read 87,491,180 times
They are made from silk, and will look even more dirty. I would rather try bamboo or pure beech...
Probably no foam or gel type mattresses, mattress toppers, or memory foams. You probably need to start with mattress and get something natural. Latex perhaps?

Old 01-06-2015, 05:57 AM

13,064 posts, read 18,179,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
They are made from silk, and will look even more dirty. I would rather try bamboo or pure beech...
Probably no foam or gel type mattresses, mattress toppers, or memory foams. You probably need to start with mattress and get something natural. Latex perhaps?
Bamboo for sure they breathe and you don't sweat. Warning they are expensive, but the bamboo pj's are WONDERFUL so I imagine the sheets would be too. If bamboo is too pricy at least be sure you have 100% cotton sheets not poly for they don't breathe.

Last edited by nuts2uiam; 01-06-2015 at 06:40 AM..

Old 01-06-2015, 06:32 AM

24,725 posts, read 11,055,349 times
I change sheets ever third day, 600-800 cotton.

Old 01-06-2015, 06:39 AM

22,642 posts, read 47,805,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
Aside from buying things only in darker colors, are there different types of sheets that won't get dirty looking relatively quickly?
Have him shower before he goes to bed... that will put an end to dirty sheets.

Either wash him daily, or wash the sheets more frequently than you do.

Old 01-06-2015, 07:16 AM

6,624 posts, read 6,563,491 times
When we first got married, I saw that my husband's side of the bed always got dirty quickly and wondered why. One day as he was showering, I walked in to brush my teeth and saw that he was just rubbing a bar of soap on himself with NO washcloth. NO WONDER his side of the bed was dirty. You CANNOT get clean by just rubbing soap on yourself. That won't take the dirt, oils or skin cells off your body.

Once I explained what he was doing wrong with his bathing habits, and he started scrubbing with a soaped up washcloth, his side of the bed isn't dirty any more.

Old 01-06-2015, 07:22 AM

61,919 posts, read 87,491,180 times
OP - please clarify "relatively quickly". How long is that? # of days? weeks? months?

Old 01-06-2015, 04:27 PM

9,364 posts, read 14,165,540 times
If you choose pure cotton percale sheets you can treat them more harshly than other fabric when you clean them. Hot water, strong detergent, and bleach. Other fabrics need to be treated more gently either because of the weave or the composition.

Some people just have very oily skin, and perhaps need medical treatment for it.

Old 01-06-2015, 10:05 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,234,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
When we first got married, I saw that my husband's side of the bed always got dirty quickly and wondered why. One day as he was showering, I walked in to brush my teeth and saw that he was just rubbing a bar of soap on himself with NO washcloth. NO WONDER his side of the bed was dirty. You CANNOT get clean by just rubbing soap on yourself. That won't take the dirt, oils or skin cells off your body.

Once I explained what he was doing wrong with his bathing habits, and he started scrubbing with a soaped up washcloth, his side of the bed isn't dirty any more.
Well then, I guess I'm always dirty. I personally think that washcloths are carriers of germs unless changed daily and used by only one person.

I prefer the soapy method and a thorough rinse.

Old 01-07-2015, 11:57 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,079,226 times
Pure cotton breathes a lot better than anything polyester. If your current sheets are synthetic, you could try switching to pure cotton and see if that solves the night sweating difficulty.

Another option might be a sauna or hot tub, then he'd be all sweated or soaked shiny clean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating