Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 09:34 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,129,991 times

Advertisements

and good riddance.

Brass has been out for decades
Don't believe in TV in kids room
kitchen office nook is no substitute for a real office
have an expensive spa tub we have never used. Who takes baths anymore?
never did like matchy matchy furniture
love inspiration wall and whiteboard idea for kids
We have few window treatments mostly cause our lot is wooded and secluded but the glare is a problem. Will do something about that this spring
counter tile has never been a good idea no matter how cheap it is

10 home design trends to ditch in 2015 - CBS News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2015, 10:43 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,190,813 times
Brass seems to making a comeback, if what I see in my lighting store is any indication. All the new homes we looked at in 2012 used finishes other than brass, so I get that brass isn't a trend setter, but things are changing a bit now.

I totally agree about the spa tub. We have a sunken tub that never gets used. How I wish for a larger multidirectional shower in that space instead.

We have porcelain tile on our kitchen counters that is working well for us. But I hate the regular tile on our bathroom vanities and laundry room counter. In the baths I'd just as soon have cultured marble. Or, I'd love to replace the vanities with the newer styles, but I wouldn't want tile on them either.

I agree about office space in a kitchen. Seems to me this has pretty much gone away.

In this area, at night, I see into people's homes all over the place. I don't understand why the shades aren't pulled down or the curtains closed. But I like simple window coverings too. I hate fussy valances and poufy stuff around windows. And most windows in modern homes are not attractive enough to highlight with too much stuff around them.

Old 01-24-2015, 10:52 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,009,909 times
If you work from home, you need an office. If not, your office is your tablet or laptop. Of course, if you WANT a full office and have the room, why not? But as electronics become smaller and more portable, I think offices can and will be in a variety of shapes and sizes - from nooks under the stairs, to former dining rooms, to spacious rooms built specifically for a home office - and maybe even a little desk in the kitchen or even in the laundry room. But I do agree that any area designated as a "phone space" which is what the article was really addressing (it mentions land lines) is functionally obsolete.

I dislike TVs in kids' rooms, but I do have one in our guest room as a courtesy.

I think if people like chevron prints, they should use them - just as they should animal prints, toiles, batik prints, etc. They should NOT use them just because everyone else is.

I take baths. Kids take baths. That being said, if I had to choose between a spa tub and a fancy, luxurious shower, I'd choose the shower. If I have to choose between a skimpy shower and a bath, I'll choose the bath.

I've always preferred minimalist window dressing over NAKED or OVERDRESSED windows. I don't like either extreme and never have. I've had mostly sheers or blinds with simple panels to the outside for decades.

I like the look of ONE mirrored piece of furniture in a room - not two, and nothing big, but something sparkly and cunningly small and dear. I have never liked matchy matchy furniture and furniture sets - blech.

I don't care where the microwave is as long as it's convenient and doesn't take up counter space. If it works best above the stove, so be it. If it works best below the counter top, that's fine too. But to me, to say either is "in style" or "out of style" is sort of ridiculous.

I've never liked tile counter tops - too much trouble to keep clean. But if ANYTHING ought to be dated by now, it's GRANITE counter tops. Sheeze! I am so sick of seeing super shiny, mottled counter tops in every single house. Let's break up the monotony, shall we??????

Brass is timeless. Been around for thousands of years and will be around for thousands more. I'm done being a slave to whatever finish is "in" at the moment. Five years ago, everything was that brown stuff or nickel (that's right - neither is anything new). Now I keep hearing "burnished brass." I just bought a home built in 1997 and it's chock full of shiny brass and guess what - once I decided I wasn't going to look at it through trend tinted glasses, I realized that it's actually beautiful! It was high quality to begin with, it's aged very well, and it fits the style of the home, so in most rooms we decided to keep it. We even put a shiny brass kickplate on our front door along with shiny new hardware and shiny brass numbers - and it looks FABULOUS on our new peacock blue door.

I've never been a big fan of faux finishes for that matter, not when they were "in" and not now when apparently they're "out."

Which leads me to my final observation - trendy fashions are tiresome in my opinion. Sure, we can and probably SHOULD incorporate a fresh look now and then - a new color combination, a new texture or shape of furniture, a new design that encompasses new technology - but when I see lists like this, I want to roll my eyes. Reading it makes me feel like I'm in the seventh grade googling over Seventeen magazine and saving my lunch money so I could buy the latest eye liner in electric blue - because the magazine told me it was the coolest thing THIS MINUTE.

Embracing the brass - and loving it. Watch and see - it will be back around in a couple of years. I'm already seeing more and more of it in fixture and lighting stores.

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 02-07-2020 at 07:14 AM..

Old 01-24-2015, 10:58 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,167,372 times
i absolutely love some of those ideas. maybe that means they'd be cheaper for me lol

Old 01-24-2015, 11:04 PM

37,119 posts, read 41,309,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Who takes baths anymore?
Me. It's hard to read a book and sip a glass of wine in the shower.

Old 01-24-2015, 11:04 PM

5,592 posts, read 8,413,979 times
Yes, I've seen gold (if not actual brass) making a comeback as well. Look at your jewelry ads -- now that we've all gotten silver, white gold and platinum, gold is coming back. OK, not home décor, but still -- once everyone has converted to the new look, the old look comes back.

This list seems to be referring to a lot of trends that haven't been "trends" for quite awhile -- faux finishes? Geez, I remember sponge-painting almost every room of my townhouse in the mid-90's. I did it very subtly -- I'd paint a base color and then mix a little white into the color and sponge, then a little darker and sponge again. All those paint layers and texture from the sponging must have been a real pain for the new owners to paint over!

Old 01-24-2015, 11:13 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,231,792 times
Fun read!

Kitchen desk - I actually see the convenience of these as a landing pad. Even with tablets and cell phones, people still get paper mail that needs a home until it gets dealt with, along with a good place for things like scissors and tape.

TV in the kids room. Nope. I guess at some point, I'll consider my son old enough to have one. 21 maybe?

Chevron prints. I did get my kid a comforter with a chevron print for his new bed. I think I'll be fine replacing it at some point since it was about $25. For now, it's fun and fresh and helps brighten up the space.

Bathtub - I went with the extended shower in lieu of a tub in the master bath as it's small and there wasn't enough room for both. I don't use a tub myself so a big soaking tub or whirlpool is just another surface to dust. There's a standard tub/shower in the 2nd bath.

Naked windows. I had my cellular shades put up I think 4 days after we moved in. I live with houses very close together, or I might not have been motivated to do it QUITE so quickly but it would have still happened soon. That will likely be the full extent of my window treatments though, as I can happily live without drapes or curtains.

Mirrored furniture. I have one mirrored piece, which I love. I can't imagine having an entire suite of mirrored furniture, though! Then again, I can't imagine having an entire suite of anything. I prefer to pick individuals that work together rather than a matching set.

OTR microwave. 100% on board with this one - I put a vent hood over my range, and put the microwave under the counter. It was a little bit of an adjustment to have to bend down to get to it, but it's fine.

Tile counters. Ugh, ugh, ugh and then ugh some more. That was a big factor in why I sold my last home and moved! I hated those counters with a passion and there was enough else wrong with the house that it wasn't worth redoing them since I wanted to move anyway.

Brass hardware - I keep hearing that gold is the in metal, but I'll believe it when I see it. I just moved into new construction and chose brushed nickel when I had a choice (some things are chrome because I didn't have choices)

So I guess all in all, I'm fairly trendy for 2015. Who knew! lol!

Old 01-24-2015, 11:30 PM

5,592 posts, read 8,413,979 times
I had white tile counters with WHITE GROUT when I lived in Southern CA. It was new construction in 1999 and that's what was standard in SoCal at the time. I would not even pour a cup of coffee over those counters! What a hassle trying to keep that grout clean.

I know the microwave isn't the most attractive thing to look at, but I'd never be able to stand constantly bending over to heat up my tea. But I guess in high-end kitchens, it's all about the fancy hood.

Old 01-24-2015, 11:40 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,946,599 times
2015 just started - how do we know what's out and in?

I really dislike all the metal finish trends. In a vacuum, brass, gold, silver, brown, black would all their fans, but once a finish is declared dated its popularity falls through the floor. It's almost like we don't really know what individuals like...we just know what the trend wave likes.

Old 01-24-2015, 11:50 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,167,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
2015 just started - how do we know what's out and in?

I really dislike all the metal finish trends. In a vacuum, brass, gold, silver, brown, black would all their fans, but once a finish is declared dated its popularity falls through the floor. It's almost like we don't really know what individuals like...we just know what the trend wave likes.
I think this is them telling us what to do
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating