Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2015, 05:36 PM

3 posts, read 2,035 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

I'm in desperate need of assistance decorating my living area. My boyfriend and I moved into our Baltimore rowhome just about 1 year ago, and much of our home is unfortunately still unfurnished. We have a limited budget and have restricted most of our buys to Craigslist, which is quite possibly why it's taking us so long to get it together.

I have pictured the first room in our home below. In typical rowhome style, the first room upon walking into the door is the living area/family room. As shown, we have one couch that takes up the length of the left wall, a console table at the left, and that is about the extent of our furniture in this area (please ignore the dog crate, boxes stacked in front of the window, and back room - we have another couch but plan to sell as it does not go well in that room). Ideally, I would like to have more seating in this room; however, I've measured for some comfy 35" x 35" x 35" armchairs (one on each side of the "fireplace", across from the couch), and those along with the couch would leave us limited room to squeeze by our coffee table. I'd also love to put a bench in front of our window, as our cats currently sit on boxes to look out.

So, in summary, does anyone have ideas for how I can make this space a better living area, without it looking too cramped? The last thing I want to do is diminish the openness of the floor plan. I'm open to furniture suggestions - we love west elm-y or crate and barrel items, but don't want an extreme mcm/modern look. We are also looking for a rug that would go well with our charcoal couch (7x9) and, as I mentioned, a bench or other surface next to the window. Our budget is low as I mentioned - looking at under $1k (or less, obviously) total for everything Any ideas or furniture recommendations are so greatly appreciated! Thank you!!!

tl;dr
wishlist
- comfy chair(s)
- bench
- rug
can I furnish with these things too cramped? any furniture suggestions? THANK YOU!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2015, 05:43 PM

22,643 posts, read 47,821,176 times
Do you need the coffee table? Removing it really frees up floor space!

Old 05-27-2015, 05:44 PM

We really do need it unfortunately, we use it all the time.

Old 05-27-2015, 06:00 PM

5,014 posts, read 6,621,979 times
Unfortunately for you, the couch is going to be the biggest obstacle. Three big comfy chairs would actually make the place quite easy to live in, but then you never get the couch to nap on/cuddle up on.

Old 05-27-2015, 06:20 PM

I never even considered three chairs! But at this point the couch is already there, and we need to work around it. It's not even like it's a huge couch. We just have a tiny space.

Old 05-27-2015, 09:16 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,072,635 times
Your living room is lovely, the brick is great! That fireplace does not look functional? Is it? If it isn't, it doesn't need to be the "focal" point of the room. You can hang the TV on any of the walls.

I would look for light chairs like this- PELLO Chair - IKEA

They are inexpensive and surprizingly comfy. Ikea has some fun rugs too.

Enjoy your new townhome!

Old 05-28-2015, 08:05 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,127,863 times
Do you want more seating to watch TV or to talk to people when you have company. Adding 2 chairs on either side of the fireplace would give you more of a conversation area and you can always slide them over by the couch if you are watching tv with a group of people. I'd also bring the TV down off the mantel or you are going to have serious neck issues watching the TV that high from that close.

Adding more furniture won't take away from the open floor plan as long as you get rid of the other junk in the room--boxes, etc.

Old 05-28-2015, 09:19 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,965,968 times
I would say get rid of coffee table, get this.....Venice Storage Ottoman by Savvy - Savvy Home Store

Or something like it. They make ones with storage and it rolls around, so when you want it out of the way, just move it. The ottoman can also double as a sitting place. You could put a large decorative tray on the ottoman, to hold remotes and a few candles or whatever.

Love the brick on the walls. I would get the ottoman to match or enhance the brick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating