Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2015, 04:50 PM

13 posts, read 25,575 times

Advertisements

Trying to figure out what color schemes I should use for our condo. I have to keep it somewhat neutral since we will sell it in a few years. But I was going to go with a light gray wall paint, and white for trim... seems to be pretty safe I would think. However, we just did one of our showers a few years ago in beige tile (doesn't go well with light gray I think).

So one bathroom will have to have beige tiles/off white walls color scheme since the shower walls are already beige tiles. I was thinking, should I make the second bathroom beige/white as well, to match the first bathroom and then paint the rest of the condo in the light gray/white color scheme? Or should I just keep one bathroom beige/white and do the rest of the condo and the second bathroom in light gray/white? Or should I get rid of the light gray paint and do the whole condo with beige and white colors for uniformity/continuity so it looks like the place was fixed up all at once? I'm not too sure if people prefer the kitchen and bathrooms to all match or not when looking for a new home. I personally wanted to use a neutral light gray paint on the walls for the rest of the place, but at the same time I'm only going to be in this location for a few years and have to think how much future buyers will care about uniformity throughout a unit since I won't be painting one of the bathrooms light gray due to the beige tiles.

Last edited by amodoko; 07-07-2015 at 05:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2015, 01:39 PM

42,007 posts, read 75,416,775 times
You're overthinking. There are no rules. The bathrooms are separate rooms and don't need to match each other. They could be somewhat complementary to the bedrooms they're attached to, though.

Old 07-08-2015, 01:47 PM

22,680 posts, read 47,882,510 times
Your house, you can do what you want! I am not sure why you even think the kitchen and bathrooms should match...
Quote:
Originally Posted by amodoko View Post
I'm not too sure if people prefer the kitchen and bathrooms to all match or not when looking for a new home.

And you might as well do whatever color YOU want, since you will be living it for the next several years.
You will need to repaint then anyways, to freshen things up.

Old 07-08-2015, 02:07 PM

18,432 posts, read 19,086,661 times
I would do the grey with white trim in the LR. keep the bathrooms beige. either way you do it, the colors are so neutral I doubt any buyer would be bothered. I think grey usually has a bit more warmth and cozy to it rather than the beige for the LR

Old 07-08-2015, 02:11 PM

4,641 posts, read 11,968,098 times
For now, do whatever you want. You're going to have to re-paint anyway prior to selling. When you're ready to sell, pull up the comparable houses that have already sold and look at how those houses were painted. Also, look at new builds to see what the latest trend is.

For example, I looked at recently sold houses in my neighborhood and nobody is using gray. They were all done in warm tones and muted colors.

Personally, I choose 3 basic colors and one tone (warm or cool) and go with it. I have three bathrooms. None look the same, but they do incorporate the same two colors. This keeps it really simple for me. lso, I use the same color towels in all bathroom because it makes my life easier.

Old 07-08-2015, 02:12 PM

Ok thanks guys! I'm not going to worry too much about then and just get on with painting

Old 07-08-2015, 05:18 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,276,156 times
I've used gray with camel tones successfully. I am interested in knowing what beige you are working with? But there is certainly no rule that your baths have to be the same wall tones as the rest of the interior. I'd probably do both baths in the same colors, especially if I was doing the rest of the interior in another. So, what you want is for the bath color to be harmonious with the gray. When you open the door to go in or out, you don't want your eye jolted by warring colors.

I'd choose the two colors in tandem, so you know they look good together.

Almost anything goes with beige.

Old 07-08-2015, 07:03 PM

42,007 posts, read 75,416,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
For now, do whatever you want. You're going to have to re-paint anyway prior to selling.
Who paints their house every three years?

Old 07-08-2015, 07:47 PM

Ok thanks guys, you chilled me out so I'm not worried about it as much. But to answer your question silibran, I don't have any photos or the name of the beige tiles at the moment but I'll probably post about them right before I paint the bathroom to see what you think. But I am planning on doing what you mentioned, which is do both the bathrooms with the same color schemes (maybe beige tiles and off-white wall paint... the bathrooms are tiny anyways so some light off-white paint may be okay) and the rest of the place in the light gray and white trim. Thanks everyone, much appreciated
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating