Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2016, 01:03 PM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
Wrought iron indoor accessories, like black wrought iron candle holders, chandelier fixtures, etc. This look seems to come back every 30 years or so. I just find it dark and depressing no matter what the era.
and see, now I like the look of it , and don't find it depressing at all. i like the castle mid-evil look....

funny how we all see something in a different lite.

Last edited by nightcrawler; 03-25-2016 at 01:04 PM.. Reason: duplicate post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2016, 05:48 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
This is a personal opinion topic so I don't give it much weight since everyone has a right to like/dislike things...but Wild Card says it best - at the end of the day it's YOUR home, you do what YOU like.

We just installed black granite and have a penny-round multicolored glass tile backsplash and it looks damn good if I say so myself I don't like patterned/swirly granite...in fact I dislike it. I like a consistent pattern and the color that works best with our kitchen is black pearl. If I had chosen quartz, it would have also been black. My decision had nothing to do with cost.

Tile has been around since the olden days. I don't think it will go away. It hasn't gone away in hundreds of years so what makes you think it will go away in our lifetime? There are a variety of floor coverings for every room and you don't have to have to same type throughout the house. You get epoxy/pre-sealed grout and use narrow grout lines.

At resale, people usually do their own thing anyway.
I totally agree. I might decide I am over something, when someone else is just discovering it and deciding that is perfect for his/her situation. That is the beauty of having one's own house. You get to do with it as you please.

Unless the space is very idiosyncratic, someone else will probably like it well enough to buy it, if it is priced right. And I am so sick of worrying about resale! When do I get to have my house like I want it, no matter what? (rhetorical question. i can't afford to have my house totally like I want it!)

But, in general, I think it is OK to talk about stuff that is not on trend, because some people want on trend stuff. And, if you want to decorate in '90s bottle green, maybe you should know up front that doing this might be kind of hard because bottle green is no longer as available as it was in 1995.

But, overall I agree that we get to do what we want with our homes.

Black granite and penny round tile sounds really stylish to me.

Old 03-27-2016, 03:26 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,054,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
If you bought Ethan Allen, then you bought good stuff.

I too am surprised at the continued popularity of stainless. You are right; that finish has been around for a long time. Also, granite countertops. I see them in all sorts of kitchens. I, myself, would like stainless appliances and granite counters. I am sure I saw my first granite counter top in the late 1980s.
Posters are spot on about selecting items for their homes, it is their home and important they enjoy the decorating.

As far as s/s appliances, these are slowly dying out and now we are seeing more white; from those who own s/s the negative comments are about keeping the surface looking new.

Granite counter tops are slowly being replaced as well.

Many times it's what the tv home decorating shows are pushing for their sponsors.

The biggest thing that could deter selling one's home is when rooms are painted dark colors and the new owners are left having to repaint every room.

Old 03-27-2016, 05:47 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
Posters are spot on about selecting items for their homes, it is their home and important they enjoy the decorating.

As far as s/s appliances, these are slowly dying out and now we are seeing more white; from those who own s/s the negative comments are about keeping the surface looking new.

Many times it's what the tv home decorating shows are pushing for their sponsors.

The biggest thing that could deter selling one's home is when rooms are painted dark colors and the new owners are left having to repaint every room.
No offense but people have been declaring that SS appliances are "dying out" for ten years now. I am glad that other choices are also out there, but frankly I don't see SS dying out or being trendy. It's a classic finish - like white or black, which also look great in the right setting.

I've had my SS fridge for nearly ten years and it looks as great as the day I bought it. (By the way, folks - the best cleaner for SS is, believe it or not, leather cleaner - it will bring out that shine like you wouldn't believe and it also deters smudging).

I believe that natural stone is also a classic look - granite, soapstone, marble, etc. Tile has also stood the test of time.

There are many things that can deter prospective buyers - dark colors are just one of those things. Also - flooring that needs to be replaced (MUCH more expensive than paint, or even wallpaper removal), outdated kitchens or bathrooms, all bedrooms upstairs (big deterrent in my particular area), etc.

A look that is definitely "out" in my area is what I call the "Tuscany" look. Yikes - every shade imaginable of brown stone and dark metal finishes...now THAT is going to be an expensive update one day, along the lines of the 1990s white tile/jewel tones/shiny brass everywhere.

These things come and go...one thing is for sure though - live with it long enough and it's likely to come back in style, if that's what you care about! Personally I say do what you want with your own home, as long as you realize that you may not "get your money back" when you put it on the market. If you're strictly concerned about resale, I'd say you'll consign yourself to living in a pretty bland house.

Old 03-27-2016, 10:58 AM

3,158 posts, read 4,590,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
No offense but people have been declaring that SS appliances are "dying out" for ten years now. I am glad that other choices are also out there, but frankly I don't see SS dying out or being trendy. It's a classic finish - like white or black, which also look great in the right setting.

I've had my SS fridge for nearly ten years and it looks as great as the day I bought it. (By the way, folks - the best cleaner for SS is, believe it or not, leather cleaner - it will bring out that shine like you wouldn't believe and it also deters smudging).

I believe that natural stone is also a classic look - granite, soapstone, marble, etc. Tile has also stood the test of time.

There are many things that can deter prospective buyers - dark colors are just one of those things. Also - flooring that needs to be replaced (MUCH more expensive than paint, or even wallpaper removal), outdated kitchens or bathrooms, all bedrooms upstairs (big deterrent in my particular area), etc.

A look that is definitely "out" in my area is what I call the "Tuscany" look. Yikes - every shade imaginable of brown stone and dark metal finishes...now THAT is going to be an expensive update one day, along the lines of the 1990s white tile/jewel tones/shiny brass everywhere.

These things come and go...one thing is for sure though - live with it long enough and it's likely to come back in style, if that's what you care about! Personally I say do what you want with your own home, as long as you realize that you may not "get your money back" when you put it on the market. If you're strictly concerned about resale, I'd say you'll consign yourself to living in a pretty bland house.

I have to agree, we've had ever kitchen color when it has come to kitchen appliances yellow, copper tone, avocado, black, white and SS for the last 6 years and still love, looks brand new, easy clean up..So I'm sold... Still I think folks should do whatever they like and love, it's your home, so nothing is right or wrong!

Old 03-27-2016, 04:01 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post

In our area, stainless appliances are noted in homes for sale. Honestly, I don't think people are tired of them yet. What takes their place? I have white, and I would really prefer stainless.

I do think granite has become a bit of a cliche. If I could replace my quite serviceable porcelain tile counters, I'd do quartz, I think. I don't care for highly grained granite. But, I still think granite can be quite handsome. I do think it is one option still available for an upscale counter.

I stopped watching TV decorators years ago.

The best way to decrease sale value, IMO, is the noticeable lack of maintenance. Old paint. Rough yard. Unwashed kitchen and bath cabs. Old carpet. Scuffed hardwoods. Water stains on walls. While darkly painted walls would probably not show well, many of us repaint before we move in. My house was decorated in "early nursing home" style; we had wallpaper pulled off, new paint put on, and the floors sanded and restained before we moved our furniture in. I don't think we are unique in doing things like that.

Old 03-27-2016, 04:19 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,828,163 times
I suspect sliding barn doors (on home interiors, not on actual barns) will lead people to say "hmmm, you last decorated this room around 2014-2015, didn't you?"

A pocket door makes much more sense, although it does mean taking the wall apart (and assuming you have enough wall there for the door to slide in to).

Old 03-27-2016, 04:45 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,300,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
I suspect sliding barn doors (on home interiors, not on actual barns) will lead people to say "hmmm, you last decorated this room around 2014-2015, didn't you?"

A pocket door makes much more sense, although it does mean taking the wall apart (and assuming you have enough wall there for the door to slide in to).
I'm glad you mentioned those sliding doors. Have been seeing them a lot on HGTV lately. So I figured if designers like 'em so much, they must be great, and I can sort of see the charm. But functionally, and long-term, and for re-sale purposes, those damn doors take up twice as much room as they need to, and they block wall space for arranging furniture! Every time I see them I think, "What ever happened to pocket doors?"

Old 03-27-2016, 05:31 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,367,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
The best way to decrease sale value, IMO, is the noticeable lack of maintenance. Old paint. Rough yard. Unwashed kitchen and bath cabs. Old carpet. Scuffed hardwoods. Water stains on walls. While darkly painted walls would probably not show well, many of us repaint before we move in. My house was decorated in "early nursing home" style; we had wallpaper pulled off, new paint put on, and the floors sanded and restained before we moved our furniture in. I don't think we are unique in doing things like that.
"Early nursing home" style.

I had no misgivings about buying a condo unit that needed a paint job and new window coverings... because those were all easy to redo, and the main bones of the unit were in great condition.

The old paint was white, with a bright scarlet red accent wall in the living/dining room. I had every room repainted beige, except the bathroom and the kitchen, where I preferred to DIY and let my questionable taste have freer reign. There's a huge difference between redecorating and remodelling... redecorating is a lot easier (and a lot more fun).

Old 03-28-2016, 08:17 AM

5,278 posts, read 6,213,202 times
I wish constant remodeling and 'updating' could stop. I've been looking at houses with my mom and its really sad how many houses have no style or character because they are a 40s bungalow or 50s ranch but now have a Mediterranean kitchen, a modern bath, coastal bedroom, colonial entry.... I'm all for personalizing space but it always brings back a phrase one of my professors used. 'You want everything to look like it was drawn with one hand.' If you do things in spurts at least try to maintain some relationship.

Oh and my biggest pet peeve- stainless front appliances where you see the black base appliance on the sides and at the cooktop. I'm fine with black, fine with stainless but the in between drives me nuts.

I'm hoping Bermuda shutters have also run their course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating