Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2016, 02:07 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
there is a buyer for everything, a house will still sell without a diswasher or micro, trust me this, it will still sell.. well at least in my region it will.......
Of course price sells anything. But to not have an installed dishwasher? For the vast majority of us, this doesn't seem modern.

Really old homes, of course, are different. In some cases the plumbing might be too out of date. But for homes built after 1955, I'd expect a dishwasher, unless the house had never been updated, ever.

I think there is less emphasis on microwave ovens, but there should be a space for one in almost all modern kitchens, same with disposals. Most of us expect these in any reasonably modern house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2016, 02:29 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,187,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben theredundat View Post
....Is there a microwave/ dishwasher cult I'm not aware of?
You couldn't prove it by my kitchen...but then I live in a sunny climate and don't have a clothes dryer either.

Old 04-15-2016, 03:04 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,342,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
It's the same cult that uses cell phones, drives cars with electrical components, and dries clothes in a dryer.
And the same one that doesn't use a word like "retarded" in a derogatory way.

Old 04-18-2016, 03:14 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,741,992 times
Stainless steel appliances. Hate 'em! Don't want my kitchen looking like a hospital kitchen. Going with black.

Old 04-19-2016, 03:31 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,355,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Of course price sells anything. But to not have an installed dishwasher? For the vast majority of us, this doesn't seem modern.

Really old homes, of course, are different. In some cases the plumbing might be too out of date. But for homes built after 1955, I'd expect a dishwasher, unless the house had never been updated, ever.
I think nightcrawler lives in the city. There are a lot of old buildings here that do not have DWs. Mine was built in 1956 but most of us have DWs and I have a TINY kitchen. But there are a lot of buildings that I will see that do not have them and b/c of the limited space and/or plumbing, it probably won't happen.

And if you have a studio? Forget it. Very hard to get a DW. Many people in studios have what most people on here wouldn't even consider a kitchen. Unless someone lives here, they probably wouldn't be used to it.

Old 04-19-2016, 08:14 AM

681 posts, read 2,359,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
I think nightcrawler lives in the city. There are a lot of old buildings here that do not have DWs. Mine was built in 1956 but most of us have DWs and I have a TINY kitchen. But there are a lot of buildings that I will see that do not have them and b/c of the limited space and/or plumbing, it probably won't happen.

And if you have a studio? Forget it. Very hard to get a DW. Many people in studios have what most people on here wouldn't even consider a kitchen. Unless someone lives here, they probably wouldn't be used to it.
But it's the context that is the issue. City studios, tiny kitchens and old homes in areas where dishwashers aren't the norm have this issue, but in that situation the issue is normal and buyers expectations would be adjusted to anticipate it because their market tends to be dishwasher-free. In this market, buyers are often forced to settle for a kitchen w/out a dishwasher because it's difficult to get a property with one installed.

Transferring that issue to an area that would otherwise be standard-equipped with a dishwasher creates a problem for the seller. Buyers wanting a dishwasher could easily find it in a dozen other homes in the immediate neighborhood, thus eliminating a large pool of potential buyers. Being without it makes the seller hunt for the distinct minority who don't want dishwashers, either. That's why he's getting responses questioning the wisdom in not installing one when the opportunity is there to do so.

Dishwashers are like ovens - they are considered standard appliances and are often used daily, whereas the oven is occasionally used, if at all. I know people who never use their installed ovens and instead use a countertop Breville convection oven. But they would never consider owning a home that didn't come with an oven because kitchens have ovens and they will need it someday when they go to sell. And of course it's great for a big turkey or when making multiple dishes.

I see offering caution in this situation as no different than critiquing the installation of bright red cabinets and white Formica counters. That combination may please the homeowner, but it's going to negatively impact how the home sells later on down the road.

Old 04-19-2016, 10:54 AM

18,469 posts, read 31,630,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittySkyfish View Post
But it's the context that is the issue. City studios, tiny kitchens and old homes in areas where dishwashers aren't the norm have this issue, but in that situation the issue is normal and buyers expectations would be adjusted to anticipate it because their market tends to be dishwasher-free. In this market, buyers are often forced to settle for a kitchen w/out a dishwasher because it's difficult to get a property with one installed.

Transferring that issue to an area that would otherwise be standard-equipped with a dishwasher creates a problem for the seller. Buyers wanting a dishwasher could easily find it in a dozen other homes in the immediate neighborhood, thus eliminating a large pool of potential buyers. Being without it makes the seller hunt for the distinct minority who don't want dishwashers, either. That's why he's getting responses questioning the wisdom in not installing one when the opportunity is there to do so.

Dishwashers are like ovens - they are considered standard appliances and are often used daily, whereas the oven is occasionally used, if at all. I know people who never use their installed ovens and instead use a countertop Breville convection oven. But they would never consider owning a home that didn't come with an oven because kitchens have ovens and they will need it someday when they go to sell. And of course it's great for a big turkey or when making multiple dishes.

I see offering caution in this situation as no different than critiquing the installation of bright red cabinets and white Formica counters. That combination may please the homeowner, but it's going to negatively impact how the home sells later on down the road.

not in all city buildings. my building has 32 apartments, and not one apartment has a d/w, and we live happily....

I think its a regional thing, because here in the city you can buy an old home for 1M, and unless the owner had installed one, there isnt going to be one.

and trust me here in the city, the house will still sell, like a hot cake. its the location that sells the house / apartment, NOT a dishwasher.

Old 04-19-2016, 12:01 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,202,259 times
But the person being referenced doesn't live in an apartment building in Brooklyn. They were talking about a new construction single family home in the suburbs. And yes, in that case, a dishwasher is considered standard. And if/when they do want to sell, they've narrowed their pool of buyers probably 99%.

Old 04-19-2016, 12:07 PM

18,469 posts, read 31,630,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
But the person being referenced doesn't live in an apartment building in Brooklyn. They were talking about a new construction single family home in the suburbs. And yes, in that case, a dishwasher is considered standard. And if/when they do want to sell, they've narrowed their pool of buyers probably 99%.

YES, AGREED!!

Old 04-19-2016, 09:31 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,932,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
In the first house I lived in as an adult married person, I had a dishwasher. This was 1971. The house we bought had been built in 1958. Before that, my mom had my dad install a dishwasher in her early 1950s house.

Believe me, dishwashers were being installed in homes by the late 1950s, and I am not talking about mansions, here. Dishwashers are neither new nor inefficient. Occasionally someone posts that they don't want one for some reason. Of course this is a personal decision. But a dishwasher will get your dishes much cleaner than hand washing, and certainly it is more sanitary.
I don't doubt the benefits, but dishwashers just don't seem to be very common in basic southern homes built prior to the late 80s or so. My grandparents on both sides never had dishwashers (homes built in 20s and 30s), my parents first home still doesn't have a dishwasher (built in '75), my house didn't have one until 6 months ago (built in '64), brother's bungalow doesn't have one (built in '50s) and the split level my friend just bought doesn't have one (built in ~'78). If I had to guess, I'd say 75% of pre-80s homes weren't originally equipped with dishwashers. And judging by how many original kitchens I see in homes for sale, I'd say half of those still don't have one.

Check out this article from 1969: http://archives.chicagotribune.com/1...opularity#text

"It is projected that by 1975, 35 per cent of the homes will include dishwashers"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating