Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 10:35 PM

312 posts, read 830,788 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

We have this small (about 6") wall on both sides of the shower/tub in a new bathroom. Architect said it was ok for crown moulding to just end at that small wall. Would love to hear your opinion about this. Should the crown turn the corner and finish with a return? Or is there not enough space to make it look right?

Thank you very much
Attached Thumbnails
Should this crown moulding have a return?-img_7313.jpg   Should this crown moulding have a return?-img_7314.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2015, 10:38 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,887,176 times
Return. It just looks like a more coherent and finished design

Old 10-29-2015, 11:24 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,909,338 times
Assuming the shower is going to be tile, there will be no room for a "return" on the crown as the tile will wrap around the corner to face it off. So there's no "return" for the crown. This should give you a better idea

Old 10-29-2015, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
Assuming the shower is going to be tile, there will be no room for a "return" on the crown as the tile will wrap around the corner to face it off. So there's no "return" for the crown. This should give you a better idea
No, the tile is only on the 3 walls facing the shower. That short wall is a thin wood trim to cover the edge of the tiles. See this other picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Should this crown moulding have a return?-screen-shot-2015-10-29-10.30.37  

Old 10-29-2015, 11:45 PM

If you are saying that a wood trim is going to go over the top of the tile to cover the edge and then make the corner? If so...oh hell no! That might last 5 years at best before it goes to crap from the moisture and any water that might get on it. You need to have a bullnose "return" installed. Chat with the "architect" and don't accept any wood near the shower....unless you just like replacing it every few years. Can't even begin to estimate how many houses I've been in where they ran the base to the tub and there it sits rotted. I've even seen crown in baths that is going to rot from moisture in the baths. But this is your house and your money.

Old 10-30-2015, 12:01 AM

Not sure you are understanding. The trim is already there, I am calling it trim, but its a thick wood, maybe 3/4 inch, or 1". You can see on the picture on original post. The crown is ending at that wood. Does it make sense now?

Old 10-30-2015, 12:08 AM

Okay, they've used a 1x for an end cap and apparently are going to grout to the 1x. Best of luck with that as that grout line is always going to be an issue. Dissimilar materials expand and contract at different rates. Grout doesn't put up with that and stay put. I would not accept it and have the 1x removed and replaced with with a backer board and have a bullnose put there. It doesn't have to be as large as the pic with most bullnose at 2" wide these days. This is a problem area that needs to be addressed tomorrow before it falls out of schedule and then it's wreck to fix.

Old 10-30-2015, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
Okay, they've used a 1x for an end cap and apparently are going to grout to the 1x. Best of luck with that as that grout line is always going to be an issue. Dissimilar materials expand and contract at different rates. Grout doesn't put up with that and stay put. I would not accept it and have the 1x removed and replaced with with a backer board and have a bullnose put there. It doesn't have to be as large as the pic with most bullnose at 2" wide these days. This is a problem area that needs to be addressed tomorrow before it falls out of schedule and then it's wreck to fix.
It will be caulked and it will be fine. i am comfortable with this choice and not going to change. Thanks for opinion, but the post was about the crown moulding.

Old 10-30-2015, 10:03 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
what is the 3 inch wall going to have on it?

if it is going to be tile and the rest of the tube is tiles I think the CM looks fine the way it is.

obviously you wont have crown on top of tile. now if the 3 inch wall is painted like the rest of the room, the the crown would have to be on that part of the wall, and midered and then cut diagnol sloping towards the corner to make it look finished. Dont know if I explained that right.

Old 10-30-2015, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
what is the 3 inch wall going to have on it?

if it is going to be tile and the rest of the tube is tiles I think the CM looks fine the way it is.

obviously you wont have crown on top of tile. now if the 3 inch wall is painted like the rest of the room, the the crown would have to be on that part of the wall, and midered and then cut diagnol sloping towards the corner to make it look finished. Dont know if I explained that right.
The walls are actually 5" each. They will be painted just like all other walls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating