Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 04:41 PM

4 posts, read 3,993 times

Advertisements

We're a family of six and this is our largest room for entertainment. Finding a spot for the TV is important so my dad can enjoy the room (he likes to lay down and watch TV), but other than that, I'm open to anything! We plan on getting all new furniture after we figure out a layout that works. We'd like to have space to add seating during the holidays and I'm not sure about mounting a TV over the fireplace (gonna redo it someday), but wouldn't rule it out.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2015, 05:46 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,795,746 times
The fireplace is right in front of a love seat? Very confusing from that pic. - I would put the TV over the fireplace if it's on a wall (but it doesn't look like it is?) - I'm sorry, but the pics. look like "stuff" stuck wherever....

Old 11-13-2015, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
The fireplace is right in front of a love seat? Very confusing from that pic. - I would put the TV over the fireplace if it's on a wall (but it doesn't look like it is?) - I'm sorry, but the pics. look like "stuff" stuck wherever....

We're gonna get rid of all the furniture, so I guess just try to go off of the empty room measurements. I wasn't going to include any pictures with furniture in them, but someone asked to see on another forum. Thanks for replying, btw.

Old 11-13-2015, 06:09 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
Ok, I finally figured out that there is a tall mirror over the fireplace. If the needed electronic connections are where your TV is, then you will have to put the TV where it is now, but ideally, I think it would be best to be hung over the fireplace. Please do get rid of the dark curtains. Wherever you put the TV, find a way to hide the cords. Buy a unit that keeps everything neat.

Once you do have a place for the TV, you can arrange the seating around it. Are you keeping the two sofas? They are basic, but they almost seem to be too big for the room. How about a couple of chairs instead of one of the sofas? Arrange around the TV. I suggest hanging art around the TV like this: Composing a Gallery Wall Around the TV | Apartment Therapy Leave the rest of the walls mostly bare. Find smallish, functional tables for around the sofa and chairs that will hold lamps. I like your idea of a desk behind the sofa, but you will want to organize it for neatness, since it is in the living area. Add an ottoman for added seating. You can seat 3 on the sofa, two in chairs, and one on an ottoman. You might also add a floor pillow if you can put it out of the way when it is not being used.

The biggest question to me is the mirror over the fireplace. Is it permanent? If so, please find a way to make it more interesting. And, if possible, find a better looking screen for the fireplace. If you can, repaint, especially if you want to use a lot of black in the furnishings. Once you have found your major pieces, add color with pillows and art. The space is small; don't clutter up all the walls. Leave some breathing space so the space feels serene.

Hope some of this helps.

Old 11-13-2015, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Hope some of this helps.

Thank you so much for all the ideas! I really love the gallery wall look and my mom has a lot of art that needs to be hung up, so that's great. I know my mom wants to get rid of the mirror (it is built in) and I agree that over the fireplace would be the best spot for the TV. Hopefully we can get that done before Christmas.

I think switching the loveseat out for chairs would look a lot better and we'll probably get rid of that desk. I know my pictures aren't much to go off of, but what colors would you suggest for the curtains/walls/etc? Now I wonder if it'd be possible to strip the brick near the fireplace, they've been painted white for 20+ years...

My dad somehow finds a way to clutter up any surface :P I'm going to try and figure out some storage solutions.

Old 11-14-2015, 11:40 AM

18,391 posts, read 19,027,378 times
if dad likes to lay down while he watches tv go with the biggest sectional you can find that has a chaise on the end. add a few occasional chairs for under the windows and or other corners.

Old 11-14-2015, 12:34 PM

14,251 posts, read 14,745,966 times
There are guidelines as to height of a TV for comfortable watching. I believe your room is to small for the TV to be mounted over the fireplace.

Old 11-14-2015, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
There are guidelines as to height of a TV for comfortable watching. I believe your room is to small for the TV to be mounted over the fireplace.
In this case the fireplace is quite low. I believe it would be OK mounted there, which is why I suggested it. However, the OP needs to look at this closely before committing time and money on the change. I do agree about that.

Why don't you link to those guidelines you refer to. We all might benefit from seeing them.

Old 11-14-2015, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kay2kay View Post
Thank you so much for all the ideas! I really love the gallery wall look and my mom has a lot of art that needs to be hung up, so that's great. I know my mom wants to get rid of the mirror (it is built in) and I agree that over the fireplace would be the best spot for the TV. Hopefully we can get that done before Christmas.

I think switching the loveseat out for chairs would look a lot better and we'll probably get rid of that desk. I know my pictures aren't much to go off of, but what colors would you suggest for the curtains/walls/etc? Now I wonder if it'd be possible to strip the brick near the fireplace, they've been painted white for 20+ years...

My dad somehow finds a way to clutter up any surface :P I'm going to try and figure out some storage solutions.
You have gray upholstery and gray carpet. So if those are the things that must stay the same, you build your palette off that. You might strip the brick, you say. If indeed you do this, the color of the brick will become one of your fixed colors--that is, it cannot be changed and has to be considered. Stripping brick is a lot of work, so I am not recommending you do this. If you leave your doors white, I believe the white brick would work. Your trim is narrow, but I notice that it is white as well. And you can always repaint the brick in a different white.

So, I am going to say that the fixed areas of color are gray, gray and white plus there is a lot of black in the room. With cooler, darker colors, you do have free rein to paint your walls a warm tone of your choice. If you have a dominant color in the artwork you intend to hang, then use that as a jumping off place. I did find this as a possibility: Baby Turtle 515 Paint - Benjamin Moore Baby Turtle Paint Color Details I like the tans with grays and almost all dark colors. You could choose the tan you like the best, going lighter or darker as you wish. It would certainly be a good background for the artwork. And you still could use reds, oranges, blues or greens for accent colors. If you have a piece of furniture that is this color, even better.

If you have problems getting past a white for the walls, here is another possibility: White Sand OC-10 Paint - Benjamin Moore White Sand Paint Color Details But I have a hard time recommending a warm white because most of them show quite pink on my monitor. Gather some paint chips when you are at the paint store, and bring them home to help you decide on two or three possibilities.

What you will want for curtains depends on how you want them to function. Do you need privacy? Do you want to see a view? Keep cold air out? Filter light? Allow outside access? I like to browse curtain catalogs for ideas:

https://www.countrycurtains.com/cate...00+curtains.do

All Window Treatments | Pottery Barn

http://www.wayfair.com/Curtains-and-...ZethoCYYnw_wcB

I like curtains to sort of retreat into the overall background of the room. I would tend toward white or the wall color. But this is an opinion. You could certainly add pattern to the room with the right curtains. You can also consider shades and blinds which look modern and on trend right now.

I hope to see pics of your room as you make progress on it. Good luck!

Old 11-15-2015, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
-snip-

This is what I ended up with for now:
Spoiler

Both chairs can be stored away when not entertaining and we're going to add a little bar/console table (I have TV trays there as placeholders now lol) with some stools for extra seating. The desk will be cleared off and covered to be used as a temporary refreshment table, if we end up keeping it at all.

We'll finally be able to enjoy both the fireplace and TV, but I'm not sure about squishing the Christmas tree into the lower right corner... We'll see how it feels this holiday season. Your advice has been a great help and I'll definitely be looking into those color choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating