Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2015, 11:19 PM

936 posts, read 2,080,319 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am really excited, I started escrow on my dream home. I put 25% down and thus almost broke and have limited budget for upgrades so please keep this in mind. I hope to keep my upgrade budget under $6k.

First thing I need to do is to remove the popcorn ceiling. I think I need to hire professionals for this since the house was built in 1974. I hope to find someone who will remove the popcorn, and apply texture to the ceiling and I will do the painting. Hope this arrangement is acceptable to them.

I have a major decision to make on the first floor. Currently the hall way, and kitchen has real wood. The wood floor is not new but in good shape. The carpet is in the living room and dining room and is very old. It needs to be replaced. Do I go with wood? If I go with wood, I probably have to remove the old wood floor. If I go with tile, I can do it myself because I have done tile before. However, isn't it weird to have tile in the living room and wood in the kitchen? If I go with carpet, I can keep the wood.

What do you think best match my future home? Please review the images and give me some advice.

Please suggest paint colors too. Dinning room and kitchen look out to beautiful green belt with trees.

Many thanks,
Jimmy
Attached Thumbnails
Carpet, wood or tile for living room and dinning room?-89_pw15257408_1_1449277385_636x435.jpg   Carpet, wood or tile for living room and dinning room?-89_pw15257408_0_1449277384_636x435.jpg   Carpet, wood or tile for living room and dinning room?-007.jpg   Carpet, wood or tile for living room and dinning room?-1c5644e8-7c6e-4da6-ba88-3e51388a6cfc.jpg   Carpet, wood or tile for living room and dinning room?-89_pw15257408_2_1449277386_636x435.jpg  

Carpet, wood or tile for living room and dinning room?-6641-brewster-court-cypress-0.jpg  

Last edited by jimmybirdie; 12-05-2015 at 12:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2015, 11:58 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,010,995 times
With that budget- carpet.

But since the house has a contemporary look I would do wood- matching the existing.

Now, lets ask the "she said what?" question-

Why would you pay someone to remove a textured ceiling and then just put another one up there??? If you're going to spend the money to have it removed, spend it to have a smooth ceiling! Then again, I wouldn't spend the money on a frivolous thing like that- its not putting money IN your pocket when you resale.

Old 12-05-2015, 12:18 AM

936 posts, read 2,080,319 times
Oh, I can keep the ceiling smooth? A few people told me that most ceilings are not flat and it may show if not textured. I can save money then. Can I spray and remove the popcorn myself?

I think it would be hard to match the wood floor since it is probably 10 year old but lightly used because the owner was by himself for 10 years. Has anyone tried to different wood types on the same floor?

Last edited by jimmybirdie; 12-05-2015 at 12:27 AM..

Old 12-05-2015, 01:36 AM

318 posts, read 372,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmybirdie View Post
Oh, I can keep the ceiling smooth? A few people told me that most ceilings are not flat and it may show if not textured. I can save money then. Can I spray and remove the popcorn myself?

I think it would be hard to match the wood floor since it is probably 10 year old but lightly used because the owner was by himself for 10 years. Has anyone tried to different wood types on the same floor?
Popcorn is used to mask sloppier drywall work, and there may be some patching after and odds are it won't be flawlessly smooth. But yes, left smooth should still look eons better then the existing.

I have smoothed a ceiling before and it is NOT difficult. I was lucky, as this popcorn wasn't sealed in with paint. it can be DIY only if there is no asbestos in the popcorn- google the labs that run these tests in your area. If you are patient and can wait a few weeks for results the tests are really economical. They provide instructions on how to get the samples. If it contains asbestos, yeah, you'll need a place to come and remove/dispose of it correctly.

As for the flooring, I'd also vote for hardwood matching/blending into the existing. Or having a company clean and leave the carpet until you can have the floor done in all new hardwood. But I really dislike carpet in the dining room.

Old 12-05-2015, 07:19 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,931,469 times
Are you sure there isn't hardwood under that carpet?

If I had the money, I'd go for hardwood.

Carpet is probably cheapest, but I am not a carpet fan---especially in the dining room.

I think another choice could be sheet vinyl or even tile. Not laminate.

Old 12-05-2015, 07:40 AM

10,089 posts, read 6,422,760 times
First, I would definitely check for hardwood under that carpet. If it's not there already, I'd install new hardwood (not laminate) to match the existing hardwood in the kitchen and hallway. If necessary, you could always lightly sand and stain the existing hardwood to match the new floors, but it really shouldn't be necessary given the huge choice of hardwood colors available. Also be sure to match the type of wood. Using pine along side of oak would look weird and wrong. Hardwood throughout that level will open up that entire space and is appropriate for a mid-70's contemporary house.

Old 12-05-2015, 07:47 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,908,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
With that budget- carpet.

But since the house has a contemporary look I would do wood- matching the existing.

Now, lets ask the "she said what?" question-

Why would you pay someone to remove a textured ceiling and then just put another one up there??? If you're going to spend the money to have it removed, spend it to have a smooth ceiling! Then again, I wouldn't spend the money on a frivolous thing like that- its not putting money IN your pocket when you resale.
I agree completely. I don't even think I would mess with the ceiling. A popcorn ceiling really is not that big a deal, unless you're going to be on HGTV in the next few months.

My house is about the same age, and I would bet money there's no hardwood under that carpet. That was the era when "wall-to-wall carpeting was a luxury. Having the sunken area is a bonus here because it makes it easier to do new wood since the surfaces aren't actually lying side by side. The step down creates a visual change anyway, so if they don't match exactly it won't matter as much. Plus, you're probably putting a rug under the DR table, right? Definitely do wood.

I assume you're removing that old lady chair lift also?

Old 12-05-2015, 08:01 AM

914 posts, read 1,136,610 times
i just added in new hard wood in the living/dining room of my house to match the existing hard wood in the foyer and neighboring kitchen. That being said, if you don't have the budget for wood, I would do carpet. Tile will look really strange as you suggested it might. Now many people hate carpet, but there are some nice weaves that are more modern and attractive. The thing about carpet is that it's warm and cozy to walk on as well, so it has it's pluses. While I'm not a fan of carpet, I do realize that for the budget conscience, it has some positive aspects.

I removed a really ugly shag looking carpet, that the sellers of the home I just bought, recently put in. I have to tell you, some people have no imagination or taste when it comes to carpet. They picked a boring color and a really ugly texture, and I was lucky enough to be able to have the funds to replace it.

I know this is carpet, but at least it doesn't look that horrible.

As for paint, I would definitely start by getting rid of that bright blue on the walls. I would never ever use a color like that on a wall, but more for an accent piece, like a vase, or a pillow. I believe walls should let the room be the center of attention, not the walls, unless it's a tiny accent wall. Even bright colors in kids rooms drive me nuts. I would also paint both rooms the same color as it shows a cohesive look, and makes it look more like one great room.

You could keep the tan walls where the fireplace is, but depending on your taste, greys are very popular right now. I definitely think you should either paint the walls or the fireplace a different color so that poor fireplace pops and becomes a focal point. I would also get a nice mantle shelf for it, to put decorative objects, like pictures, vases, or something. That's a nice fireplace, and it just kind of disappears. The existing gray carpet doesn't go well with the fireplace either, so if you do decide to keep it, I would do a light gray in there so it doesn't clash so much with the walls. I would do a cooler gray as well since the carpet is such a cool gray.

Last edited by twodoor2; 12-05-2015 at 08:23 AM..

Old 12-05-2015, 08:18 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,908,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twodoor2 View Post
i just added in new hard wood in the living/dining room of my house to match the existing hard wood in the foyer and neighboring kitchen. That being said, if you don't have the budget for wood, I would do carpet. Tile will look really strange as you suggested it might. Now many people hate carpet, but there are some nice weaves that are more modern and attractive. The thing about carpet is that it's warm and cozy to walk on as well, so it has it's pluses. While I'm not a fan of carpet, I do realize that for the budget conscience, it has some positive aspects.
I agree. Carpet is not the WORST thing in the world, and that carpet looks brand new. OP, don't you have two kids? How old are they?

Old 12-05-2015, 08:32 AM

914 posts, read 1,136,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
I agree. Carpet is not the WORST thing in the world, and that carpet looks brand new. OP, don't you have two kids? How old are they?
The ugly shag carpet was also put in the family room of our new home, but I'm leaving it, as that floor is on a slab, unlike the rest of the house, and will get really cold in the winter. It's a more informal room set apart from the more formal living/dining room areas, so I really don't care as much. It is brand new. I plan on a berber in the basement for the same "cold to your feet" reasons. As much as I would love the whole house to be hard wood, I realize it's too expensive for me, and not feasible/comfortable in some rooms.

The OP's house is Spanish style, so if he/she did all tile in both rooms, it wouldn't look out of place, but it really looks out of place with wood in the foyer. It's also much warmer and nice in San Diego all year round, unlike cold Chicago where I'm from, so I wouldn't have as much of an issue with tile on my feet. If I were to do tile, I would do very large squares and lay them on a diagonal, unless you were to do some interesting and flashy mosaic pattern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating