Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2016, 10:30 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,101,396 times

Advertisements

I have a very small bathroom with a toilet that works normally, but is placed too close to the wall. In fact, it is touching the wall, slapped right against it. I can't paint the room with it like this. I have thought of having a plumber move it less than an inch out, but I'm afraid that would involve a lot of expense because the sewer pipe would have to be moved. So is it possible to find a toilet that is a shorter distance from the pipe to the back? If I could find a more compact toilet, I could replace the current one and solve my problem. But how do you find models with a short back dimension?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2016, 10:48 AM

15,205 posts, read 12,070,953 times
Maybe an Offset Flange might be the way to go....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-q42iLlSKWA

Old 04-22-2016, 10:52 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,370,617 times
Default All about the drain!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
I have a very small bathroom with a toilet that works normally, but is placed too close to the wall. In fact, it is touching the wall, slapped right against it. I can't paint the room with it like this. I have thought of having a plumber move it less than an inch out, but I'm afraid that would involve a lot of expense because the sewer pipe would have to be moved. So is it possible to find a toilet that is a shorter distance from the pipe to the back? If I could find a more compact toilet, I could replace the current one and solve my problem. But how do you find models with a short back dimension?
There are standard dimensions that dictate the distance from the centerline of the toliet drain flange rough-in to the FINISHED wall. If the place was remodeled by somebody that added an extra layer of drywall they probably altered that dimension by creating an doubly thick finished wall. It would be cheap or easy to move the flange! Makes more sense to try to "thin out" the wall, but even that assumes that there is not some terrible mess lurking...

How to measure toilet rough in | Professor Toilet

Old 04-22-2016, 11:46 AM

17,474 posts, read 66,045,317 times
I'll assume you're talking about the tank.

A standard rough-in would be 12" from a finished wall. There are other off-sets for extenuating circumstances- 10" and 14". So, it would be feasible to do what you're wanting with a 10" toilet. However, the reason for the tank to be at or almost touching the wall is to support it from someone leaning back against it. Too much movement of the tank will cause a leak.

So, since this came about because you want to paint behind the tank- just remove the tank. Reinstall after painting with new gasket, bolts, and washers. That's a less than $10 job- you get the results you want. No new toilet, no CLOGGING offset flange, and no moving of plumbing.

Old 04-22-2016, 12:24 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,932,660 times
With a very small bathroom maybe it's better to have the toilet close to the wall. My master bath is only 4' wide so I put in a 10" rough in toilet with a round bowl and tank that's maybe 5-6" deep...basically the smallest toilet I could find under $300. This gave an extra 6" or so between the toilet and wall which makes a big difference in such a small bathroom. I have maybe 1" between the tank and wall...enough to fit in a small 1"x4" paint roller.

With your toilet being against the wall - couldn't you just take off the tank lid and cut in around the toilet? If done carefully with a small brush I doubt you could see any of the old color behind the toilet.

Old 04-22-2016, 11:06 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,101,396 times

This is a picture of my actual toilet. As you may be able to see, it is not only against the wall, but against the adjoining tile. The tank sits at a slight angle because of the tile. Not a good installation. So it would be a non-starter to move the drywall back because the shower is there. And even if I took the tank off to paint, I would be putting it back on just as is, which is not really acceptable to me. That is why I'm thinking of finding another toilet. I found a toto toilet (Toto CST412MF.10) that has a 10" rough in (the one you see is a 12"). I'm not sure that is the best one, but it is an alternative.

Old 04-23-2016, 12:04 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,108,582 times
Gee I know you are not my ex in-laws. My father in law painted that way around their china closet and was darn proud of the time and money saved!!!!

Old 04-23-2016, 12:13 PM

17,474 posts, read 66,045,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Gee I know you are not my ex in-laws. My father in law painted that way around their china closet and was darn proud of the time and money saved!!!!

Some people are never satisfied- nor do they listen to common sense/cents!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating