Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2016, 08:03 PM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
Then you weren't paying attention. I've heard hardwood floors long before CABLE TV came out.
I was absent that day... lol.

but where i come from, you either had "wood floors" or you had "carpet"....

oh well.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2016, 10:55 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,856,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazinGracie View Post
I'm good with subway tile too but please keep granite, especially the stuff made with crushed glass that makes it sparkle. That also goes for paint that has had glitter added to it. Also, no more of the industrial look with exposed pipes and duct work. You can also keep carpe
ting, glass tables, anything brass and wallpaper.
Granite is a natural stone, no one makes it sparkle by putting crushed glass in it. The sparkle in the granite is natural mica that appears in the stone.

Old 09-07-2016, 10:58 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
Like night crawler I am a New Yorker and we say "wood floors". has anyone used the term softwood floors? Not really. Besides most of them still scratch and dent like nobody's business lol

Old 09-09-2016, 10:12 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,170,085 times
I would be ok with an "open" floor plan that really wasn't ALL totally open. I've seen some that are tucked into a corner and aren't intrusive into the great room. Or ones that actually have a front wall between the kitchen and the family room except there is a snack bar with open window. Our old house was pretty open and it frustrated me to step in from the front door and see the kitchen table, counters, living room where I had my office at one end and the family room all at the same time. Messy anything annoys the heck out of me.

One trend I totally dislike (and haven't seen mentioned yet) is the huge bathroom that one must trot through to get to the walk-in closet. Don't those clothes get damp-smelling from being so close to the steamy bathroom? And what if someone is doing something private with the door locked to the bathroom and the other person is not-so-patiently waiting to get into the room / closet for clean clothes? 90% of new houses are designed this way. Annoying.

Old 09-10-2016, 05:20 AM

2,427 posts, read 3,566,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
mid-century modern! so so sick of it. Especially the fake Target kind. Unless you actually preserved your home from the 50s, move on already.

the fake/modern rustic or whatever you want to call it, with the funky fake animal heads on the wall - ew ew and ew

framed prints, throw cushions etc with 'inspirational' slogans or just stupid text like 'love' or 'adventure', with arrows drawn everywhere - yuck
What is your preference?

Old 09-10-2016, 05:21 AM

2,427 posts, read 3,566,266 times
Why do all bathrooms have to have two sinks?! When I am in the bathroom, I prefer to be myself and I only use one sink.

Old 09-10-2016, 07:26 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,338,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Answers View Post
I would be ok with an "open" floor plan that really wasn't ALL totally open. I've seen some that are tucked into a corner and aren't intrusive into the great room. Or ones that actually have a front wall between the kitchen and the family room except there is a snack bar with open window. Our old house was pretty open and it frustrated me to step in from the front door and see the kitchen table, counters, living room where I had my office at one end and the family room all at the same time. Messy anything annoys the heck out of me.

One trend I totally dislike (and haven't seen mentioned yet) is the huge bathroom that one must trot through to get to the walk-in closet. Don't those clothes get damp-smelling from being so close to the steamy bathroom? And what if someone is doing something private with the door locked to the bathroom and the other person is not-so-patiently waiting to get into the room / closet for clean clothes? 90% of new houses are designed this way. Annoying.
Our house will have a closet off the bathroom. I guess I'll find out about the moisture concern and let you know. It will be a while though, it's just starting to get built. The toilet is in its own little room with a door. I guess the person who came up with the plans thought of that issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarragon View Post
Why do all bathrooms have to have two sinks?! When I am in the bathroom, I prefer to be myself and I only use one sink.
Oh! I know the answer! I don't have to clean up hubby's mess before brushing my teeth.
He tends to keep his mess cleaned up when he is the sole user. Why that is, is beyond me but there ya go! Little quirks in his personality that would drive me crazy if I let them. LOL. As it is now, I brush my teeth in the guest bath. Can't wait till my toothbrush can reside in the master bath again. Hahahaha!

Old 09-10-2016, 08:38 AM

5,118 posts, read 3,418,195 times
Quote:
If you're talking about a hallway bathroom, I agree. We had double sinks in the upstairs bath that the kids used and I always wanted to replace them with one sink and open up more counter space. There was no way more than one person would be in the bathroom at a time, and there were three kids, so they couldn't claim one sink as their own.

For the master, I also prefer to be alone in there, but I like having my own sink and my own space, my own drawers.

Quote:
A thousand yesses. When we were looking, we automatically ruled out any house that had this configuration.

And to this I will another pet peeve: A toilet closet that is next to a common space or shares a wall with the bedroom. Very poor design.

Old 09-10-2016, 12:14 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,440,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Answers View Post

I have both set ups and I am really glad that we bought this house rather than a totally open plan. Took a while to get used to after being in a center hall colonial for many years, but for us its the perfect balance. We also have a small office/den that is separate.

As for the closet going through the bathroom, I was not sure I would like that at first, but I'm basically neutral on it after living with it for a while. In a large bathroom, if you run the fan while you shower it really doesn't get very steamy except within the shower. The closet also has heat/A/C ducts and a ceiling fan. We haven't had a problem with moisture in the closet.

The bathroom is private behind a closed door.

Not sure there is really any advantage other than it allows more wall space in the bedroom. To me this design is 6 of one half a dozen of the other.

Old 09-10-2016, 01:40 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
I have both set ups and I am really glad that we bought this house rather than a totally open plan. Took a while to get used to after being in a center hall colonial for many years, but for us its the perfect balance. We also have a small office/den that is separate.

As for the closet going through the bathroom, I was not sure I would like that at first, but I'm basically neutral on it after living with it for a while. In a large bathroom, if you run the fan while you shower it really doesn't get very steamy except within the shower. The closet also has heat/A/C ducts and a ceiling fan. We haven't had a problem with moisture in the closet.

The bathroom is private behind a closed door.

Not sure there is really any advantage other than it allows more wall space in the bedroom. To me this design is 6 of one half a dozen of the other.
In my last house, I had a closet off the bathroom. The current house has a separate door for the walk in closet, as well as another closet with sliding doors, so yes, the end result is very little wall space in the bedroom. There is one solid wall to put the bed against, and then a small wall area between the door to the bathroom and the door to the closet. I had to search very hard to find a dresser that wasn't too wide for the space - although I'm kind of glad in retrospect since I do love the dresser I ended up finding, much nicer than the old one I had that didn't fit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating