Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2016, 09:07 AM

41,951 posts, read 75,153,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Ha!
Then you would LOVE my kitchen floor that is ivory, celadon and peach.
I miss the 80s. *sigh*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2016, 12:27 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,435,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
As I've mentioned before, my family room combines furniture from two rooms in my previous house. Therefore I have a hunter green wingback chair and two pieces of leather upholstery in a deep red (not maroon). It does not look Christmassy at all. I actually have a lot of green in the room, and a lesser amount of grayed aqua.

But if you choose a deep green for your room no one says you have to choose red as another color. Green is a mix of blue and yellow, so either of those colors should look great with the dark green.

I am not advocating a return to the deep green. I do think it is interesting that BH&G featured rooms with that color now.
Well, the look you are describing is totally different than what I was thinking about. Hunter green for me evokes more the look Katherine mentioned that was so popular I believe in the 1990's but don't exactly remember.....where you usually saw hunter green, burgundy, navy and perhaps ivory or gold in a stripe usually on a sofa. Whenever it was, it was everywhere. Way overdone.

You are describing classic styles of furniture in solid colors, which probably fall into the timeless category hence why you were able to pull them from separate rooms and mix them a different way.

One chair in hunter green I could tolerate. I just don't care for it on a huge expanse of walls or cabinets or tile. To me it is simply to heavy a color and I would find it depressing living with that much dark green.

Old 09-23-2016, 01:29 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,140,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I think that dark green leather wingback chairs are a classic that I'm sure you've been able to incorporate into rooms long past the 1990s! I bet that chair is beautiful. And it will probably outlive you like my sofa will outlive me!

I agree that a dark green can be combined with many different colors - if I had a dark green piece I think I'd look at mustard yellow and aubergine with a creamy white as an accent.
I'll go as far as saying the chair looks fine in the room. It is getting pretty dilapidated, actually. But it will be a permanent fixture for the immediate future.

I like your color scheme; very stimulating. I think the eggplant color would be interesting with the dark green and mustard. That very dark purple is underused and it is striking.

We were walking in a Portland neighborhood this past week, with my grand. I asked him what he thought the color of one of the brightly painted houses was. He stopped for a second and gave it a good look. "Hmm," he said. "I think it is blue violet." I was so impressed. At that age I would have said purple. He has a good eye for color, I think.

Old 09-23-2016, 02:57 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,019,659 times
Just bought a house and this is the color my daughter asked to have her room painted. I'm not thrilled but we're doing it. I decided to pair it with white furniture and white trim so hopefully that will help. Besides that, she has an orange club chair and bedding with orange and green. I fear, like a post earlier, that it will end up looking too kermit the frog.

Old 09-25-2016, 10:50 AM

5,118 posts, read 3,413,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Just bought a house and this is the color my daughter asked to have her room painted. I'm not thrilled but we're doing it. I decided to pair it with white furniture and white trim so hopefully that will help. Besides that, she has an orange club chair and bedding with orange and green. I fear, like a post earlier, that it will end up looking too kermit the frog.
Good for you for listening to your daughter and giving it a chance! It's only paint. That's what I told myself when we painted my daughter's room a deep purple.

Old 09-25-2016, 11:58 AM

41,951 posts, read 75,153,734 times
Quote:
Nah, Kermit is more of a kelly green.

Old 09-25-2016, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorges View Post
Good for you for listening to your daughter and giving it a chance! It's only paint. That's what I told myself when we painted my daughter's room a deep purple.
Yep, that's my thought as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Nah, Kermit is more of a kelly green.

Old 09-25-2016, 02:02 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,140,668 times
Quote:
Good for your daughter knowing what she wanted for her room, and good for you for allowing her to do that. As the previous poster said, "It's only paint."

Our kids want the opposite of what they have been raised with, very often. I think it is healthy for them to experiment.

Old 09-25-2016, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Good for your daughter knowing what she wanted for her room, and good for you for allowing her to do that. As the previous poster said, "It's only paint."

Our kids want the opposite of what they have been raised with, very often. I think it is healthy for them to experiment.
Oh so true. I'm one of those people that has just about every wall white. Love white, always have. My kid? All about color - loads and loads of color. She's an artist so I'm thinking that may have something to do with it. I guess I should upload a picture when it's all said and done. Might be a while though because moving - ugh.

Old 09-26-2016, 11:25 AM

3,423 posts, read 4,365,023 times
I saw "Hunter green" and burgundy (another 1980s favourite) combined in a Middle Eastern-influence interior. Maybe traditional colours in some cultures from that region? Looked interesting, and not a cliché 1980's throwback style at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating