Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 06:47 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Hasn't brass been popular again for a few years? As has other gold tones, especially rose gold. I feel like copper is the current trendy metal.

This CNN article is 3 years old:

Home decor's hottest metal: Brass is back - CNN.com
It's been gaining in popularity but this is the first year that I've seen POLISHED brass back in full swing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2017, 11:21 PM

3,306 posts, read 1,347,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Hasn't brass been popular again for a few years? As has other gold tones, especially rose gold. I feel like copper is the current trendy metal.

This CNN article is 3 years old:

Home decor's hottest metal: Brass is back - CNN.com
Absolutely. Many are already moving away from copper, whether polished or brushed, this year. A very few carefully placed copper will still have a place, but at this point copper has reached over saturation. If you like the look and it works, any well-placed and high quality metal will endure the come and go of design. High quality metallics will always have a place. They're like neutrals, natural stones, and fine leather.

Old 01-25-2017, 10:30 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
Now I remember what Greenery reminds me of----KERMIT!!!!

Pantone Receives Twitter Backlash For Their Color Of The Year - Pantone Color of the Year

Old 01-25-2017, 11:16 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Well there is a reason that soft neutral colors - both cool and warm - have been popular for decades, as a "base" - it's because they are so easy to use as a backdrop for other colors.

You know what's funny? You know all the brass haters out there? Well, we are remodeling our master bath, and so we had to go fixture shopping a few days ago and GUESS WHAT - not only is brass back with a vengeance, POLISHED brass is back too! And actually, the fixtures we settled on - called "polished nickel" by Delta - actually have a gold undertone to them. They stop short of being "polished brass" but believe me, the look is alluded to with these fixtures, which also happen to be beautiful. Oh, and Delta also actually now offers a polished brass" and "champagne bronze," both of which are very gold in tone.

https://www.deltafaucet.com/files/li...03_Desktop.jpg

While we were in the upscale fixture place, you should have heard all the oohing and ahhing from other customers over those yellow based finishes. Just a year or two ago, I would bet that most of them would have cringed at the idea of any brass or gold tones in their homes. (I have to throw in at this point that when we bought our 1990s custom built home three years ago, I refused to let anyone throw out the beautiful brass light fixtures and door knobs throughout the house, telling them instead to "embrace the brass!")

So things come and go and finishes ebb and wane in popularity. "Brown furniture" will be back in style one day and people will be lamenting ever painting that hard rock maple dining room table or that cherry bedroom furniture.

I always think of my mother, who at the height of the Danish Modern phase in the 1960s, sold an antique pie safe for $10, which is the equivalent today of $69. Fast forward about fifteen years and the same 1880s pie safe would have been worth hundreds of dollars - in 1980s currency - if you could find one. Today, they're a bit passe - but they'll be back.

I noticed in a recent Houzz article about bedrooms, that many of the beds actually had (gasp) QUILTS folded at the foot of the bed, or draped over the footboard. THE HORROR. Quilts coming back? OMG! Next thing you know, someone will get the novel idea of hanging one on a wall!!!!!
KA, we chose Delta polished nickel finishes too for our bath refit. I really liked that finish the best.

Old 01-25-2017, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Everything old is new again.

I don't hate gray. I'm simply tired of it or else I've seen too much of it in one place. I think a gray sofa makes a wonderful compliment to a room and a terrific for seasonal pillows.
I realize that most of my staple clothes are some form of gray. Favorite pants, sweaters and heavy coat. One of my daughters is the same way while the other one wants to dress like a peacock most of the time!

Not sure if this is the thread where I wrote about a tour of a model home I recently took. the walls were various shades of gray, the kitchen cabinets were dark gray and the granite counter tops were dark gray. The bathroom towels were gray. I wanted to cut my wrists by the time I finished the tour! Not sure if this was the impact the designer was looking for.
Too much gray is sort of like too much black. Too much! You can get away with an all white scheme if you use various whites, and you don't have dogs or kids. But I doubt any of use would love an all gray scheme. Even me!

I like wearing gray better than wearing black, which is why I've adopted it as a basic in my wardrobe. It isn't my fave apparel color, but it is better than black, IMO.

And on walls in my house the gray makes the white trim pop.

I think everyone's situation is different. For some it works; for some it does not.

Old 01-25-2017, 01:04 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times
I will never like the shiny brass from the 80s-90s. Can't wait to get it all out of my house.

Old 01-25-2017, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
KA, we chose Delta polished nickel finishes too for our bath refit. I really liked that finish the best.
Hey, that's good to know - I'm feeling even better about it now! Please please please post pictures.

Old 01-25-2017, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Hey, that's good to know - I'm feeling even better about it now! Please please please post pictures.
Oh, I should. Of course we aren't there yet. The shower lacks a little tile. The counters will come next week.

I simply cannot make myself figure out how to post pics. I know it can't be that hard, but for some reason I just never do.

I did take a pic of the demoed shower though and the old counters for comparison. So, I guess I'll wait until it is all done.

We aren't doing nearly what you are having done though.

The other day I told DH that I thought we were going overboard with the shower, and he laughingly agreed. I do look forward to using it though. it is amazing. Nothing else in this house is nearly that custom. Once our guests get a load of it, they will not want to shower in the guest bath anymore!

Old 01-25-2017, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Oh, I should. Of course we aren't there yet. The shower lacks a little tile. The counters will come next week.

I simply cannot make myself figure out how to post pics. I know it can't be that hard, but for some reason I just never do.

I did take a pic of the demoed shower though and the old counters for comparison. So, I guess I'll wait until it is all done.

We aren't doing nearly what you are having done though.

The other day I told DH that I thought we were going overboard with the shower, and he laughingly agreed. I do look forward to using it though. it is amazing. Nothing else in this house is nearly that custom. Once our guests get a load of it, they will not want to shower in the guest bath anymore!
I can't wait to see your pictures! And here is one way to post them:

Save the picture to a computer file.
Write your post on C-D.
Scroll down to below the post, before you post it, below "Submit reply" and "Preview Post."
Scroll down to "Attach Files."
Click on "Manage Attachments."
In that pop up window, click on "Choose file."
This will open up the files on your computer. Choose the photo you want to upload.
After it uploads, just X out of the window.
If you like you can preview your post.
Then just hit "Submit Reply" as usual.

VOILA!

You will see that I have attached a ridiculous photo of my dog just to be able to go through the steps to be sure I got them right for you! Actually now that I'm looking at it, it's sort of a gross picture but oh well.
Attached Thumbnails
2017 Color of the Year-whodat-sleeping-upside-down-rug.jpg  

Old 01-25-2017, 07:47 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
Kathryn--I love your rug. Where did you get it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating