Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2017, 03:11 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
Lately I've been thinking it's about time for Art Deco to make a reappearance in some way.
Good, because we just redid our master bath with Art Deco elements - LOL. TRENDSETTER HERE. (Not. Well, not intentionally anyway.)

I do love me some Art Deco and Art Nouveau. Actually Art Nouveau may be my favorite style of all. Sort of merges with Craftsman and it's delightful to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2017, 07:31 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,048,932 times
One of the reasons new trends emerge is so that consumers will want to spend the money to remodel to ensure they have the latest trend.

Have to wonder if home improvement stores, etc., aren't the ones initiating these trends.

Old 10-18-2017, 08:07 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,313,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
One of the reasons new trends emerge is so that consumers will want to spend the money to remodel to ensure they have the latest trend.

Have to wonder if home improvement stores, etc., aren't the ones initiating these trends.
I don't have to wonder.

Ever since Sloan introduced the annual model year change for automobiles, consumer products have become increasingly fashion-driven, at the expense of reliability, durability, and cost effectiveness - but you could also make an argument that the constant churn of fashion-driven consumer spending is what generates the production volumes that enable the low prices...

Anyway, it's important for all of us to keep in mind that matters of fashion do not have any intrinsic basis; they are generated externally as a way to induce people to spend money. Same for house furnishings and design as for anything else.

Old 10-18-2017, 08:20 AM

13,400 posts, read 28,719,321 times
Quote:

Or HGTV!!!
They pushed the granite ad nauseum, now lately they are all over ship lap. Just about every make over has ship lap

Old 10-18-2017, 09:28 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,614,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Or HGTV!!!
They pushed the granite ad nauseum, now lately they are all over ship lap. Just about every make over has ship lap
Well Chip and Joanna are leaving HGTV so the shiplap will go with them. Bummed they're leaving. I really like their show and her design style.

Old 10-18-2017, 10:25 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,144,036 times
Quote:

The designs filter down from top designers into shelter mags and sites, and then to the retailers that you or I would patronize. I think Home Depot and Lowe's would be the last destination of new trends.

But lets be honest here. Who doesn't want change in one's home from time to time? I think we sense a staleness after about 10 years. We want some change. And then there are the times when we add a piece, upsetting the balance of a room. We repaint, or refurbish or add another piece to make it look right to our eyes.

It is not in the nature of most of us to let things be indefinitely.

I realize that some people do resist all changes, but I don't think that is the norm.

And of course we get to choose the changes we do or don't make.

Old 10-19-2017, 07:39 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,407,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post

The designs filter down from top designers into shelter mags and sites, and then to the retailers that you or I would patronize. I think Home Depot and Lowe's would be the last destination of new trends.

But lets be honest here. Who doesn't want change in one's home from time to time? I think we sense a staleness after about 10 years. We want some change. And then there are the times when we add a piece, upsetting the balance of a room. We repaint, or refurbish or add another piece to make it look right to our eyes.

It is not in the nature of most of us to let things be indefinitely.

I realize that some people do resist all changes, but I don't think that is the norm.

And of course we get to choose the changes we do or don't make.
Exactly! Home design trends work the same as fashion design trends. The trends start with the top designers and work their way down to mass market. The boldest designs get watered down as they become mass market.

It's the nature of humans to keep on creating. They combine and reinterpret design and inspiration from other eras to keep it fresh. The only thing that will ever put a stop to that would be lack of money to implement it.

The more classic your choices in both fashion and home design, the less you will need to update. You'll only need small tweaks to keep it fresh instead of complete overhauls.

Old 11-01-2017, 10:04 AM

3,550 posts, read 3,113,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Good, because we just redid our master bath with Art Deco elements - LOL. TRENDSETTER HERE. (Not. Well, not intentionally anyway.)

I do love me some Art Deco and Art Nouveau. Actually Art Nouveau may be my favorite style of all. Sort of merges with Craftsman and it's delightful to me.
Love art nouveau, too. I'd love to see pictures!

I like the sleekness of art deco, but there's a lot to be said for the voluptuousness and style of art nouveau. Tiffany lamps, Gustav Klimt, the Eiffel Tower--those things are just so beautiful they've never gone out of style!

On a side note, I read an interesting article on art deco and art nouveau, and how each emerged as reactions to major world events (the Industrial Revolution for art nouveau and World War I for art deco). A very interesting perspective on how design trends get inspired by history. It makes me wonder what the events of this day and age are inspiring.

Old 11-02-2017, 06:29 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
Love art nouveau, too. I'd love to see pictures!

I like the sleekness of art deco, but there's a lot to be said for the voluptuousness and style of art nouveau. Tiffany lamps, Gustav Klimt, the Eiffel Tower--those things are just so beautiful they've never gone out of style!

On a side note, I read an interesting article on art deco and art nouveau, and how each emerged as reactions to major world events (the Industrial Revolution for art nouveau and World War I for art deco). A very interesting perspective on how design trends get inspired by history. It makes me wonder what the events of this day and age are inspiring.
That is really cool.

There are some FABULOUS Art Nouveau homes and buildings in Prague - it was one of my favorite elements of Prague. And lots and lots of Art Nouveau and Art Deco in some cities in Germany too.

The first photo is of the light fixture that "started it all" - we knew we wanted to remodel the master bath but were sort of floundering on exactly the style. We found this light fixture and immediately everything else clicked!

The middle photo is of one view of the completed project. The third photo is of the other side of the room. The last photos are from "before" - first the listing photos and then the bathroom we lived with for several years (while we remodeled the kitchen and expanded the outdoor living area - one project at a time!).

As you can see, I can't stick totally to Art Deco - I have to throw in some frou frou - but I love the geometric aspects of Art Deco. We were going for a "Sunset Boulevard" style - Old Hollywood style - with the bathroom.

The last photo - I just added it - was a fun little mirror that I found in a resale shop here for about $25. It's about 3 ft tall and 18 inches or so wide. I just thought it was adorable. I bought it here in Texas but ironically I've actually seen this exact mirror since then in a British movie as well as in a photo of a flea market in London. So I'm wondering about it's source. I tried searching Google Images but I haven't been able to track anything down.
Attached Thumbnails
How long will these trends last?-master-bath-fixture.jpg   How long will these trends last?-bathroom-complete.jpg   How long will these trends last?-finished-tower-far-larger.jpg   How long will these trends last?-master-bath-before-we-bought-house   How long will these trends last?-master-bath-first-update.jpg  

How long will these trends last?-midcentury-modern-mirror-larger.jpg  

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 11-02-2017 at 06:39 AM..

Old 11-02-2017, 07:50 AM

3,550 posts, read 3,113,205 times
Beautiful! I love that mirror, in particular.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating