Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2017, 11:20 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
Beautiful! I love that mirror, in particular.
Me toooooooooooooooooo!!!!!! Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2017, 07:25 PM

39 posts, read 31,581 times
Our house is just less than 2 years old and my hope is that my open concept, dark wood floors, high ceilings (11 ft), stainless appliances and granite will not go out of style. As I planned my house, I was hoping that it would be more of a subtle, classic trend. My biggest worry is my white/off white kitchen cabinets. Love all that I've mentioned, but I see white cabinets getting old quick. I didn't give into the gray walls because I'm still old school enough that I like more of a light golden/beige color.

I love color but not in what I would consider "permanent" appliances/fixtures. That goes for my furniture too. I have mainly white/beige/and some black throughout the house. That is where I add pillows, throws, rugs & accessories full of color. And I change them out throughout the year and seasonally.

Old 11-04-2017, 07:51 AM

50,379 posts, read 64,007,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
Oh yeah, that reminds me of another one: Shiplap!

The next time I want to start a fun topic, it might be a hoot to have a thread just for ragging on HGTV. Like "Worst advice you ever heard" or maybe rating which shows are complete balogna, vs. some that actually have some good advice. Yes, I love to watch it even though, yes, I do know it's for entertainment only. Still fun, even if a lot of it is unrealistic.
Not only shiplap, which is at least part of a house’s history, but all forms of slapping old boards on a wall. To me, it looks very DIY, even when it’s not.

I am over white kitchen cupboards. Also white kitchen cupboards with a dark island, like navy or charcoal. I have a black painted island and it is a pain. It shows every speck of dust.

Old 11-04-2017, 01:19 PM

12,843 posts, read 869,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappytobeinTroy View Post
Our house is just less than 2 years old and my hope is that my open concept, dark wood floors, high ceilings (11 ft), stainless appliances and granite will not go out of style. As I planned my house, I was hoping that it would be more of a subtle, classic trend. My biggest worry is my white/off white kitchen cabinets. Love all that I've mentioned, but I see white cabinets getting old quick. I didn't give into the gray walls because I'm still old school enough that I like more of a light golden/beige color.

I love color but not in what I would consider "permanent" appliances/fixtures. That goes for my furniture too. I have mainly white/beige/and some black throughout the house. That is where I add pillows, throws, rugs & accessories full of color. And I change them out throughout the year and seasonally.

I love white cabinets and I wouldn't worry about your white cabinets at all. They've been around a long time and will continue to be around for a long time. Your kitchen sounds lovely and as long as you're happy with it that is all that matters. Enjoy!

https://www.houselogic.com/by-room/k...and-test-time/

Old 11-04-2017, 01:58 PM

1,387 posts, read 1,072,659 times
More than anything else, white is BORING. B-O-R-I-N-G! Like an old-time nurse's uniform, it doesn't spark or add interest to a kitchen, it only dulls and washes it out. Give me some well-made natural hardwood cabinets and a beautiful stone counter-top. That's what a kitchen-of-the-gods would look like.

Old 11-04-2017, 02:07 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,700,835 times
I found this on Esty
https://www.etsy.com/listing/1187461...uest_another=1

It's sold out, but maybe the store owner can give you more information.

Old 11-04-2017, 02:28 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,341,226 times
I like white because I can see if it needs cleaning. By the time one notices the grease buildup on wood, it is a major chore to get it clean.

I don't like finishes that disguise dirt.

Old 11-04-2017, 02:57 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,629,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappytobeinTroy View Post

White cabinets never go out of style. The style of the door may go out of styles.....think the round arches from the 90's. But if they were classic white Shaker doors, they'll last forever. Shaker is style popular even though the style if wicked old.

Old 11-04-2017, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17thAndK View Post
More than anything else, white is BORING. B-O-R-I-N-G! Like an old-time nurse's uniform, it doesn't spark or add interest to a kitchen, it only dulls and washes it out. Give me some well-made natural hardwood cabinets and a beautiful stone counter-top. That's what a kitchen-of-the-gods would look like.
Well, that's an opinion; not one many people agree with, but an opinion just the same.

https://www.houselogic.com/by-room/k...and-test-time/

Quote:
White is Marketable
Since it began keeping records, the Home Appliance Manufacturers Association says white appliances have outsold all other colors.

Ditto cabinets. White regularly tops the list of the most popular kitchen colors in the National Kitchen and Bath Association’s annual survey. For 2013, 67% of respondents said that white was their first choice for cabinetry. It simply refuses to go out of style.

Old 11-04-2017, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robino1 View Post
I like white because I can see if it needs cleaning. By the time one notices the grease buildup on wood, it is a major chore to get it clean.

I don't like finishes that disguise dirt.
Absolutely! This is so true as I found out when I bought a house once with dark cabinets. Yuck! I had to replace them...
with white, of course!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating